WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    when/how did you find wine?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when/how did you find wine?
 Login/Join 
posted
I am only 21 years old. Over the last 2 years I have developed a love for wine incomparable to anyone I know. I have spent somewhere between 25 to 35 thousand onwine years. I have caught a bug where theople in this forum are some of the only people who I can seemingly relate to on the subject. I truly appreciate the lack of bias propaganda in these forum pages that I sometimes fear is evident in some major wine publicactions. I don't believe anyone here is getting paid for their opinions on wine. I really never knew wines existed under $20 a bottle that couldbring me as much pleasure as some of thewines did in the thread on every day drinking wines. You people are teaching me a good deal about wine quality and pricing. I suppose I don't have any real question in mind but I would like some feedback. Is it strange to be so young and to be willing to spend your last dollar on a good bottle of wine? Sometimes I think I'd like to go to UC Davis and become involved with wine that way. More often that sounds too echnical and it seems as though I should make my money somehow ese and perhaps buy a vineyard, a winery, or just cellar lots of wine. My parents don't enjoy fine wine so they wont sponser me. When & how did you become so involved with wine. Is it on your mind constantly as it is mine? It makes me feel better that there are people who enjoy wine as much as me. Thank you for your time. -Shane in Seattle
(sorry about my typing errors my space bar is erasing instead of spacing.)

Posts: 381 | Location: washington state | Registered: Jan 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shanew1: First, please clarify--you are 21 years old and have spent $25K-$30K on wine for the previous two years? If so, where and how do you cellar it?

You might go to UC Davis, or buy a vinyard? Your parents will not sponser you, but you are considering whether to buy a vinyard?

Again, please clarify?

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
latour-
I believe he is saying on 25,000 wine years on line, not referring to $ at all.

This is like cigarette pack years, where 2 packs a day for 10 years is 20 pack dayyears

Posts: 2764 | Location: Virginia Beach,VA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
latour and doc-i know us all farts don't understand this younger generation lingo, so i have forwarded this posting to my 23 year old daughter in tucson, arizona. hopefully, when she wakes up, sometime in the middle of the afternoon(evening east coast), she'll translate it so we may better understand what an online year is.

back in the late 60's and early 70's, when i was dealing with cosmic years, i was first introduced to wine. september 1970
, alfred,ny. boones farm apple wine(cannot seem to remember the vintage).

my second phase came in september 1974 and i have my father to thank for that, plus all of his old bordeaux.

Posts: 1121 | Location: new jersey | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got into wine when I started a technical sales job in 95 and was starting to do quite a bit of entertaining. That was when I was 25 and I thought that I was pretty young compared to a lot of the "wine crowds" that I ran across... It was great while it lasted - all of my customers knew that I would take them to the best restaurants for food and wine and also go to the best wine tastings. My going away party for them was a 7 course wine meal at my favorite restaurant - those were the days (of not paying for anything)!!

Now my "itch" is supported by my own funds and my husband is a saver... frown

Posts: 183 | Location: Western Michigan | Registered: Oct 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the spelling errors. My lack of spelling knowledge doesn't mean I appreciate wine any less. 25 to 35 thousand are more than likely shy figures compared to what I actually probably drink. I dine out a lot, (Charlie Trotters, French Laundry, Chez Panisse etc...), where the bills always exceed $1000. I drink all of the wine I buy except for a couple cases of assorted Leonetti. I think some people here would rather correct grammer mistakes than talk about wine.

Posts: 381 | Location: washington state | Registered: Jan 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are saying you spent (past tense) 25-35 thousand US dollars on wine in the last 2 years, and you are a student? So let me get this straight, you have spent what many make in a year on wine, and you attend school somewhere? Also you are saying $25-35k is a shy figure to what you actually drink. You mention bottles under $20 now bring you such pleasure, and you drink all this. So 25-35k on $20 wines is max 1750 bottles you have consumed in two years (and that is a shy figure) that is 2.3 bottles 7 days a week for two years. I get the jist of your topic about passion for wine, but not the facts.

Maybe it's me, but I am not following you.

Posts: 977 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: Dec 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only recently began buying 20 dollar bottles. The majority of the wines I drink are Burgundy white wines and California Cabs. I never thought I would like 20 dollar wines until I tried some reccomended in these forum pages a few weeks ago. I am a student & I co-own a store in Olympia Washington that sells locally made arts.

posted Hide Post
And he is a jet setter. He lives in Seattle but goes to the French Laundry, but also to Charlie Trotters? Hey what about some east coast fare (or did you just forget to mention it?)? Like Inn at Little Washington?

I'm sorry, but call me a doubting Thomas.

Posts: 3233 | Registered: Dec 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TJ,

I'm with you on that one.

t.

Posts: 166 | Location: SFO peninsula | Registered: Nov 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not about grammar. It's about lacking the skills to make yourself understood. My guess is this guy's eyes are brown.

Btw, Charlie Trotter's is the most over-rated restaurant in which I've ever had the misfortune to dine.

Posts: 36770 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriends family lives in Berkeley and I have family in Chicago. I'm only trying to give you an idea on how I spend som much $ on wine. You people can be very critical.

posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmm.
Well, shanenw1, enjoy your passsion for this intoxicating gift. Sounds like you have many avenues in which to pursue your love of wine.
PE

Posts: 3003 | Location: napa valley | Registered: Oct 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"critical?" I prefer to think of it as "realistic."

Posts: 36770 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1979 Bolliger R.D. I drank tonight was realistic. I would like to further my wine knowledge instead of just getting corrected for spelling errors.

posted Hide Post
OK. How was the '79 RD? My guess is that it was golden in color, the mousse may have started to fade to tiny, sparser bubbles, and the toasty flavor predominated any fruit that might remain. Why the British seem to prefer their Champagne like this is beyond my understanding.

posted Hide Post
Shanenw1: In the spirit of your question:

I was once your age, going to school & working in a small hotel when a rather scruffy, unkempt, young Frenchman registered. He was touring the USA on a small budget; fashionable in the 60's. He told me he was an oenologist! I had never heard that word before, so we talked daily about his craft. 3/4 years later(1968), I went to Sonoma and toured, was given a bottle of 1935 Simi by the owner, I guess she liked my youth and interest. (That bottle is still in my cellar). For the next 15 years I didn't spend very much on wine, and that really hurts when you realize what I missed! But by the mid 80's I got the Bordeaux bug, and that was it.

Please answer the following questions:

1. Do you have a wine cellar?
2. How many bottles do you have now?
3. How many bottles did you drink last year?
4. How much was spent on wine last year?
5. What wine do you collect?

Finally, it's not the spelling errors, it's not the typing errors, and it's not the grammer----it's the content that makes everyone skeptical. Think about what you said--"should I go to UC Davis", or,"buy a vinyard or a winery"??? Prices for vinyards start in the 8 figures and you're 21 years old! Help me here Shane, and give a more detail explanation. Then you'll get the best advice all can give.

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shane-is that real money you use or monopoly money? i guess if you pass go often enough you can accumulate a lot of money.

doc and latour-my daughter has explained to me what an online year is. i didn't totally understand here, but i'll try to make it as simple as possible. you know when you're trying to post and it seems like it's taking for ever(sometimes double and triple posts). that's an online year.

Posts: 1121 | Location: new jersey | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O;ojeffso-
Last September, I looked at property in Napa for kicks. $300,000 an acre if you want rights to plant vines. $500,000 if you want rights to build a house on it. To construct a simple 2 bedroom house from scratch, add another $500,000 minimum---without architect etc fees.

Without a trust fund, or loot from the lotto, I'll stay and enjoy the simple pleasures here in ol' Virginnee Beach.

Board-O, while I have had wonderful meals at some, I have rarely found the most touted restaurants worth the money once the bill comes in. Latest example is Galileo's in DC; expensive-great food, phone book sized wine list, but with 3-4x retail markup. $600.00 for private dining in the laboratorio. I'd rather find the hidden value gems few tourists or only the locals know.

Remember to have both dollars and sense

Posts: 2764 | Location: Virginia Beach,VA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, that's some serious dough for wine. Do you buy groceries? Clothes? etc etc. I just bought a 6 pack of 99 Viader and I thought that was splurging.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Oct 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't believe everything you read on an internet bulletin board.

posted Hide Post
I store my bottles at Esquin, a wine storage facility in Seattle. The list of wine I still have is a good representation of the quality of wine I drink but not quantity. I easily drink 10 bottles for every one I put away. Lucky for me the storage facility closes early. I have a case of Leonetti merlot'99. 1 case of Leonetti Cab '98. Various bottles of California cabernets, (Insignia '97 & '98, Mondavi Reserve '85 & To Kalon '97, George De Latour '97, Shafer Hillside '97, Diamond Creek Red Rock '97, & a dozen more of the like quality. Oregon & Cslifornia Pinot Noirs, (Archery Summit '97, '98, & '99, King Estate Reserve '94 & Domaine '98, various Rochioli's & Gary Farrels, adding to a case. I have a few bottles of Champagne, (Clos des goisses '90, Salon '85, '88 & '90 & amulti vintage of Krug). That sums up my collection. Most of the California and Oregon wines I purchased at the wineries. The people at the wineries always really like my girlfriend my daughter and I. We usually stay for hours and meet the head wine makers because they like that we are so young and enthused about wine. I spent a lot of money on wine last year, most of it for immediate consumption at restaurants or home. I easily spent 70 to 100 dollars a day on average last year. I've toned down considerably over the last couple months. My neighbor just got back from the Williamette Valley with 6 pounds of white truffles. We have been feasting for a month as he goes down every few days. As far as purchasing a vineyard goes I'm not talking about Napa, not all American wine comes from there, but perhaps Columbia Valley Washington or the Umpqua Valley Oregon.

posted Hide Post
Shanenw1, we are all wondering how you could have come by so much money at such a young age for so much discretionary spending. We also wonder if you understand that a winerey costs many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to purchase and a great deal to run. Sorry if we sound skeptical but if you are real and not a put on, you are certainly a rare bird. If I were you, I'd enjoy drinking wine now and wait to go into the winemaking business until after I got my education. If you are serious about winemaking, I'd get some first hand experience working summers at a winery doing all the "menial" jobs and learning the ropes. To be successful at anything, you've got to pay your dues. You don't learn by starting at the top. It's very hard work and there's a lot of risk.

Posts: 808 | Location: Neshanic Station, NJ | Registered: Nov 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for relating to me in a nice way. I do realise it would cost a few hundred thousand dollars for a nice Washington Vineyard but I would only have to pay 10 to 15% down, like on my house. There is risk involved but I feel that I could devot my life to wine even if doesn't make me much money.

posted Hide Post
Shanenw1:
I don't know if you are for real or just young. But, you asked when & how I became involved with wine and I responded. You asked other questions and requested feedback--so

1. Is it strange to be so young & willing to spend your last dollar on wine? Yes, it is very strange!

2. Is wine on my mind constantly? No, I have other interests. Anyone thinking of Wine constantly and spending $70-$100 daily is a candidate for Alcoholics Anonymous. Be very careful.

3. If you want to learn more about wine. Go to UC Davis. (stop buying wine daily or you'll flunk out)

4. After Graduation, get a job at a winery and learn the business.

5. Find an investment counsler and attorney from a credible firm before you ever try to buy a winery. (I think you need them now)

It is very difficult to believe or take you seriously, Shane, that's why you have elicited these type of responses.