WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What distilled beverage are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What distilled beverage are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Lemorton Vieux Calvados Domfrontais 1968

If I have any parts of that name wrong and someone knows what is correct, please correct it. Really beautiful.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3463 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Balvenie Double Wood 12 Year.

Posts: 9404 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a good friend over the weekend come over and he's never had any Pappy so we had the Van Winkle 10/90, Pappy 15, Pappy 20.

Dude can drink so then he had some Hirsch Canadian Cask Strength, Dalmore 12, and some William Larue Weller and Thomas Handy Rye.

He liked: Pappy 20, Handy, and then the Weller

I think I preferred the Weller, Pappy 15, 20, and Thomas Handy.

Still hoping to get some Stagg this year.

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bunnahabhain, 12 year old

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bulleit Rye whiskey in a Manhattan. Very tasty, and makes me want to seek out more good ryes.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6770 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm having a fairly inexpensive NV Calvados that I found on my booze shelf. Pretty nice.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3463 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don Julio 1942 Tequila Añejo

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While waiting for a 4 hour delayed flight last night...George T Stagg. Good stuff!

Posts: 176 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Dec 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:

How did you drink it? Neat?

Posts: 6439 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clynelish 10, 1989/2000, Hedges & Butler

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1872 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not anything real special, but I'm drinking Bloody Mary made from a 1.75 ltr bottle of Absolut vodka, that I purchased at a Dominican Republic duty free for $26. So that makes it doubly special to me.

Posts: 6770 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on a rye kick recently

Colonel EH Taylor Rye
Jefferson's 10 Year Rye
Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye
Hirsch 11 Year Rye

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
I've been on a rye kick recently

Colonel EH Taylor Rye
Jefferson's 10 Year Rye
Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye
Hirsch 11 Year Rye

Your thoughts on these? I've been segueing from bourbons to ryes lately.

posted Hide Post
These were all single pours at bars.

EH Taylor was harsh and is overpriced.

Jefferson's is outstanding for the money, right around $30 for a 750ml I believe.

Thomas H Handy was nice and worth the money but unfortunately hard to find at retail.

Hirsch was very interesting. Very pale in color as they do not add coloring. Shows the oak but with great balance, beautifully spicy.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I was not aware that any coloring was added to brown liquors (the good ones, anyway.)
I will seek these out.

posted Hide Post
It's the first time I've heard about it, but the bartender knew his whiskey and I have no reason to doubt him.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:

How did you drink it? Neat?

Yes, my preference for all fine tequilas. Smile

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a bottle of Basil Hayden's tonight. I finished my last bottle about a year ago....still like it.

Posts: 132 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse rye 100 proof in a Manhattan. Very nice; you don't even notice the high alcohol.

posted Hide Post
Dalwhinnie 15 yo and a Chopin martini (dry, 3 olives).

Posts: 2736 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MacCallan 12

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monkey 47 Sloe Gin - Limited

Very interesting, expressive - unique

Posts: 82 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: Mar 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some local Grappa from Pinot grigio.

Posts: 1068 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Macallan 12.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pappy 15
Templeton Rye