WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Amazon Starts Selling Wine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Starts Selling Wine
 Login/Join 
posted
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/...tarts-154703077.html

Will be interesting to see what they offer. I cant imagine it will be all the same brands available at ones LWS. Shipping seems pretty reasonable at $10/6btl.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 436 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thoughtthat they tried this about 5 years ago and gave up due to logistics. Wonder what changed

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6248 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue then was that they had to contend with the varied laws of 50 different states and the Amazon model was central distribution and volume purchasing.

Since that time, they've changed their business model and instead of shipping books out of a big warehouse in Sparks NV, they now have many warehouses around the country and I believe they're in every state. They've also transformed partly into becoming a fulfillment center for local businesses.

That's also why they dropped their opposition to sales tax and when you buy from Amazon now, you pay local sales tax on your stuff. At least I did on my last order.

That also allows them to deal with the myriad rules regarding wine.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2569 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I poked around a little bit and noticed they are also co-listing select offerings from other online names (I recognized K+L for one).

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 436 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yep

I wonder if they'll step into the distribution space though for some states?

I'd shudder to think what would happen to the smaller distributors when someone who is REALLY efficient at distribution becomes a distributor.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11647 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I compared (as an example) Francis Ford Coppola Winery Director's Cut Cabernet Sauvignon 2010:

Amazon price = $29
Wine.com = $26

Shipping 6 bottles:
Amazon = $9.99
Wine.com = $21.45

Interesting that Amazon's $9.99 rate applies to 1, 3 or 6 bottles. If one is an anal accountant like myself I guess doing the math comparisons when shopping could save some $$$ - maybe enough to buy another bottle?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nodakgus:
I compared (as an example) Francis Ford Coppola Winery Director's Cut Cabernet Sauvignon 2010:

Amazon price = $29
Wine.com = $26

Shipping 6 bottles:
Amazon = $30.66
Wine.com = $21.45

Can't imagine buying from Amazon if these differences are representative.

you are very mistaken

that's sold by the winery themselves with Amazon acting as a distributor

The article sounds like they're going to be actual retailers themselves in which case I'm sure the prices will be much lower than what the winery themselves is selling it for.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11647 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

Amazon price = $29
Wine.com = $26

Shipping 6 bottles:
Amazon = $9.99
Wine.com = $21.45

you are very mistaken

Don't think I am. All I am saying is that these are the prices/costs on an example bottle if you bought from one website v. the other right at this very moment. I loaded a "cart" with 6 bottles and proceeded to checkout. This is what a person would pay...

ALSO: SEE EDITED MESSAGE ABOVE RE: SHIPPING

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

Amazon price = $29
Wine.com = $26

Shipping 6 bottles:
Amazon = $9.99
Wine.com = $21.45

you are very mistaken

Don't think I am. All I am saying is that these are the prices/costs on an example bottle if you bought from one website v. the other right at this very moment. I loaded a "cart" with 6 bottles and proceeded to checkout. This is what a person would pay...

ALSO: SEE EDITED MESSAGE ABOVE RE: SHIPPING

No,

the wine is sold by someone else with Amazon acting as a passthrough.

Much like if you looked up oil cans, there are dozens of sellers of them, with amazon llc. being sold out of them.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
As of today they are only shipping to 12 states + D.C. Shock of shocks Texas isn't one of them.

Posts: 265 | Registered: Oct 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now they're linked up with a number of retailers, including Wine.com, and I think that's how they're circumventing the problem they had before. When I was negotiating with them regarding the wine business, they were trying to link up with distributors and then they would be the retailer. Instead, they've decided to link up with retailers.

I don't think Amazon is going to be getting into the distribution business insofar as it means becoming a distributor in all 50 states and then selling to retailers. They can't be both wholesalers and retailers in most states and their model is selling items at retail.

In my other, unrelated job, we've tried to get them into a wholesale model, where they offer volume pricing, and it's just not in their DNA. They like being the ultimate retailer.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2569 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope they will carry the Kirkland line!

Talk about blurring borders.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1274 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they will ship to PA?

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1-click is even more dangerous now

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3441 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sticking with the wine retailers I enjoy doing business with (and giving my money to).

Posts: 8648 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is where "Prime" shipping would really come in handy. Winner

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6740 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
This is where "Prime" shipping would really come in handy. Winner

Im pretty sure that was part of the original spin and intrigue ... and one which I was headed to Amazon right now to find out if it still was included. Im guessing not anymore? 3.99 overnight shipping, I'd sink that business singlehandedly Smile

Posts: 998 | Location: Cleveland, Oh | Registered: Aug 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browsing around the site for a bit, it seems that nearly every wine that I enter in the search window shows up, but is sold by a third party. If that's the case, what's the difference between this & "winesearcher?"

Posts: 1417 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is where "Prime" shipping would really come in handy.

It is my understanding that Amazon Prime does not apply to wine.

Posts: 192 | Registered: Nov 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve W.:
quote:
This is where "Prime" shipping would really come in handy.

It is my understanding that Amazon Prime does not apply to wine.

Sadly, that is true. I tried. But $9.99 to ship 6 bottles isn't bad.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6740 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post