WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Bevmo - Schmevmo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bevmo - Schmevmo
 Login/Join 
posted
I just posted this as a response to Ron D's post, but I thought this interesting situation warranted a new discussion. Anything like this ever happen to you?

I found a pretty good price on some bottles of '07 Pontet-Canet last night at a large retailer, so I scooped up a few. I popped one not long after I got home, with the intentions of following the wine over a couple of days. I could tell immediately that the wine was badly corked. Just for my own piece of mind, I left it in the decanter overnight in case it was a funk that would blow off. Low and behold, nope...corked.

Today, I brought the bottle & its contents back to the store to swap it out. Keep in mind, by this point, the wine smells like a piece of wet newspaper that was used to clean a moldy shower. I kid you not, this is conversation that followed.

Me: "Hi, I just spoke to you on the phone about swapping out this corked wine."

Sales Dude: "How do you know it's corked?"

Me: "Smell it. Doesn't it smell like a musty, wet newspaper to you?"

Sales Dude: "That's how Pontet smells. If you swap another bottle, it'll smell the same."

Me: "No. That's how a corked bottle of Pontet smells. I'm a big fan of the producer, and have enjoyed quite a few bottles."

Sales Dude: "Well, every bottle of French wine I have had, has that smell."

Me: "Have you ever had a bottle of Pontet-Canet?"

Sales Dude: "Well...no. But, they all smell about the same."

Me: "So, you're saying that every French wine you have had, and even the one's you haven't tried smell like a musty newspaper?"

Sales Dude: "Well, I'm not sure..."

Me: "Right...I'm sorry that every French wine you have tried has been corked. Can I switch this Pontet out for a new one?"

Sales Dude: "Sure."

Posts: 1417 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Bevmo. Why were you expecting a better response to a corked or flawed wine? The wine could have been cooked in 100F+ degree heat, and the verbal exchange will probably the same.

Posts: 5076 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
It's Bevmo. Why were you expecting a better response to a corked or flawed wine? The wine could have been cooked in 100F+ degree heat, and the verbal exchange will probably the same.

Yeah, you're probably right. As far as the response went, I didn't expect much...just a simple swap. Instead, I got a lesson from somebody with little to no experience on the subject itself.

...Kind of like "The View."

Posts: 1417 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only buy beer from Bevmoron.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wahaha. Great Story!

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1424 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The people at Bevmo are usually nice, but more average joe/partier types than the kind of people who will be drinking $100+ bottles of wine. One guy there recommended Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager to me and told me it was 'fucking good'. Eek It turned out to be a pretty good recommendation though.

Posts: 8644 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL. I guessed Bevmo when I read this post on the other thread. I don't even venture into their wine section anymore.

quote:

+1, except I can pick up some Scotch, tequilla and liquers at decent prices sometimes.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2859 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an unfortunate experience. Rather you are right about the corked wine or not ( I assume you were) the Customer is ALWAYS right!! Even if you have never had a corked bottle, you would definetly know when something wasn't right. But don't just give up on Bevmo quite yet. Have you ever tried any Lake County, CA Wines? Bevmo got it right when they started picking up Lake County.The wines are flying off the shelfs.Here's why; For one, these wines are up and coming, and knocking a lot of the usual award winners, right off the charts. For years Lake County has lived in the shadow of Napa County, we are only an hour and half away. The wines coming out of Lake County are great, and I'm not just saying this because I grow grapes or my family has a winery. Do your research. See what you find. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.70% of Lake County Wines are Sustainably Farmed, and most are estate grown. The grapes are grown at very High Elevations, on Natural Volcanic Soils, and Lake County is ranked at the Top 3 Cleanest Air Quality in the US. All these combinations make for some killer wines, and a prime growing region. Most of all the” Juice” is good and at the price you buy it at, there is a Value like no other. Here are a few suggestions... Vigilance Winery, Shannon Ridge Winery, and Dalliance. See what you think. If you want more info go to http;//www.shannonridge.com
Try a bottle and let me know what you think. I would love to hear your feedback.

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
LOL. I guessed Bevmo when I read this post on the other thread. I don't even venture into their wine section anymore.

quote:

+1, ...

+2. Their storage conditions are crap.

I had something similar happen to me when I returned a corked bottle to K&L --- it was a '96 Lanessan, iirc. The salesman (who must have been new, and no longer works there (and hasn't for quite some time)) tried telling me "that's what Bdx. tastes like." I told him, "No, that's what corked Bdx. tastes like." He did let me exchange for another bottle of the same, but I was somewhat astonished that I even needed to have that conversation with him before doing so.
Like I said, he no longer works there.

Posts: 1844 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Shannon:
That is an unfortunate experience. Rather you are right about the corked wine or not ( I assume you were) the Customer is ALWAYS right!! Even if you have never had a corked bottle, you would definetly know when something wasn't right. But don't just give up on Bevmo quite yet. Have you ever tried any Lake County, CA Wines? Bevmo got it right when they started picking up Lake County.The wines are flying off the shelfs.Here's why; For one, these wines are up and coming, and knocking a lot of the usual award winners, right off the charts. For years Lake County has lived in the shadow of Napa County, we are only an hour and half away. The wines coming out of Lake County are great, and I'm not just saying this because I grow grapes or my family has a winery. Do your research. See what you find. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.70% of Lake County Wines are Sustainably Farmed, and most are estate grown. The grapes are grown at very High Elevations, on Natural Volcanic Soils, and Lake County is ranked at the Top 3 Cleanest Air Quality in the US. All these combinations make for some killer wines, and a prime growing region. Most of all the” Juice” is good and at the price you buy it at, there is a Value like no other. Here are a few suggestions... Vigilance Winery, Shannon Ridge Winery, and Dalliance. See what you think. If you want more info go to http;//www.shannonridge.com
Try a bottle and let me know what you think. I would love to hear your feedback.

Audrey, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I believe that I have tried a wine from Vigilance, though I can't remember if I liked it or not. I'll be on the lookout for some of these guys you have mentioned.

I really can't see myself giving up on Bevmo, completely. Any place where I can readily buy Rochefort (8), & Ballast Point "Sculpin IPA" is always a go-to for me. As for wine that tends toward the higher end of the spectrum (Classed Bordeaux, Napa players, etc.), there's usually a better option.

posted Hide Post
quote:
... these wines are up and coming, and knocking a lot of the usual award winners, right off the charts...

More gold medals than Michael Phelps you say. Thanks for the warning, I'll continue to steer clear

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 434 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bevmo and Total Wine just recently moved into this area. I have not tried Bevmo yet, but I have emptied my wallet at TW a few times. That place is like Costco to me.
Is it bad when you walk in for a bottle or two, and end up pushing a shopping cart out to your car? Red Face

I haven't had to ask for any wine advice, but did ask the guy working the (HUGE) beer section if they had an obscure brand. He knew exactly what I was talking about, and led me right to it.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6735 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Bevmo and Total Wine just recently moved into this area. I have not tried Bevmo yet, but I have emptied my wallet at TW a few times. That place is like Costco to me.
Is it bad when you walk in for a bottle or two, and end up pushing a shopping cart out to your car? Red Face

Happened to me as well many times... Particularly when there's a case discount if you buy any 12. I do my Christmas shopping at Total Wine. No bevmo though in my area.

Waste not your hour, nor in the vain pursuit
Of this and that endeavour and dispute;
Better be jocund with the fruitful grape
Than sadden after none, or bitter, fruit.
- Omar Khayyam

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jan 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AmsterdamNL:
quote:

Happened to me as well many times... Particularly when there's a case discount if you buy any 12. I do my Christmas shopping at Total Wine. No bevmo though in my area.

Come on! Total Wine & Bevmo aren't even in the same league!

I think I average around (2) hours every time I'm there. The closest one to me is about an hour away, so the Mrs. & I usually make a day-trip out of it when we go. It's exactly like Costco! I can go in with a plan of exactly what I'm grabbing, yet leave with a cart full of stuff I "need, and too good to pass up." Well, I guess that's common rationale in this hobby anyways...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

I think I average around (2) hours every time I'm there. The closest one to me is about an hour away, so the Mrs. & I usually make a day-trip out of it when we go. It's exactly like Costco! I can go in with a plan of exactly what I'm grabbing, yet leave with a cart full of stuff I "need, and too good to pass up." Well, I guess that's common rationale in this hobby anyways...

Sounds like we have the same affliction. Big Grin I have to go alone, because no one else wants to spend that much time in the place with me.

Posts: 6735 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:

Sounds like we have the same affliction. Big Grin I have to go alone, because no one else wants to spend that much time in the place with me.

I've never been to bevmo but costco calls my name each time I pass one... Today's trip to Total Wine yielded only 3 bottles, what with loading up at costco last weekend.

- Omar Khayyam

posted Hide Post
Actually, with me that holds true in both Costco and Total Wine.
Only 3 bottles? Congratulations on your restraint, my friend.

posted Hide Post
Love Total Wine. Need to set aside an hour minimum any time I go there.

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California | Registered: Feb 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you love Costco, then Total Wine or Bevmo will make your mouth drop. The prices are outrageous, and they do carry some good wines. I have wine coming out my ears around here, but for a good varietal stock up I hit the nearest one to me. And it's 2 hrs away!!!

Posts: 48 | Location: Clearlake Oaks, Ca | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you love Costco, then Total Wine or Bevmo will make your mouth drop. The prices are outrageous, and they do carry some good wines. I have wine coming out my ears around here, but for a good varietal stock up I hit the nearest one to me. And it's 2 hrs away!!!

Audrey, I have to disagree.

While TW does yield a fantastic selection, the majority of their stuff is above Wine Searcher average. Thus, I could never say that the prices are "outrageous." At the same time, I would also say that they don't overprice the majority of goods either. The exception is the selection of super-premium wines (IE 1st Growth Bordeaux, Napa Big Boys, etc.). In this category, one is almost always going to find better elsewhere.

Bevmo's selection in general usually sucks. The store is stocked full of mediocre wine. Now, I do find decent stuff in different stores every now & then, but most of my experiences are the same. Another thing that irks me about the store is the abundance of sub-par vintages, and an obvious lack of good vintages. One will find plenty of '06 & '07, & '08 Bordeaux. Where's the '03, '05, & '09?!

Additionally, Bevmo will intentionally mislabel wines to reflect higher scores. Go through the store and look at some of the tags. You will see that a "200x
wine rated 95 points Parker" costs this much. But the wine on the shelf is a "200y." Happens all of the time. I even asked a manager about it one time and I got a confused response. If it only happened once...fine...mistake. But when the stores reek of this false labeling, it's a clear attempt to deceive a consumer. Fail!!

posted Hide Post
Costco does that quire a bit as well, I must say. It is very common to see "200x" with a high rating on the label, only none of that vintage on shelf. Quite irritating, really.

I agree abut TW too. But the prices on some really good wines are only moderately higher than wine searcher, so I generally pony up for the joy of instant gratification... Or maybe I'm just a sucker.

- Omar Khayyam