Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WOTY 2013
 Login/Join 
posted
No this isn't one of those threads. I just asking if someone would post their best guess so I can enter the contest win.

OK? Devilish

Posts: 1474 | Location: Encinitas CA | Registered: Feb 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must have misunderstood. I thought it was a vote to determine the winner. I voted for a wine that I will never want to buy.

Truth be told, the leading categories appear to be vintage Port and Washington Syrah.

Posts: 2311 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- 2011 Orin Swift D66

Just kidding... maybe.

Looking at the past (2) WOTY's, my guess would be that it is not going to be a domestic Rhone blend. And, it's usually something relatively affordable & obtainable (prior to the announcement, of course).

So, my (2) guesses for 2013 WS WOTY are...( drum roll)....

- 2010 Pontet Canet
- 2010 Caymus SS Cab Sauv.

Posts: 1581 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pontet Canet is a little high to be considered affordable.
Maybe a Northern Rhone then? A Saint Cosme?

If I knew what the last five or so WOTYs were, I'd be able to eliminate some choices.

posted Hide Post
2010 Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve: latest rating of 95 points, price point $60-$70 dollars plus the fact that is widely available make it a strong candidate and definitely TOP 10. Don't know about WOW factor though.

When was the last time a domestic Pinot won?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1617 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:

If I knew what the last five or so WOTYs were, I'd be able to eliminate some choices.

2012 2008 Shafer Relentless
2011 2009 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast
2010 2007 Saxum James Berry Vinyard
2009 2005 Columbia Crest Cab Sav Columbia Valley Reserve
2008 2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta

Posts: 1474 | Location: Encinitas CA | Registered: Feb 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps. But, I meant relatively affordable. IE, not "Blue Chip" prices. Pontet Canet has been on such a roll lately. I'll stick with my guess. Smile

Saint Cosme is a contender, for sure. I think one of their wines made Top-10 last year.

But, there is one certainty here: Once it is announced, we can all count on the "How in the hell is that wine of the year?!" remarks!

Posts: 1581 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 Dow Vintage Port

Posts: 5156 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
2011 Dow Vintage Port

Well you know we had that double port wine about 14 years ago so I don't know. Certainly it's a great port year. I've got a shot--when's the last time a CA Chard won?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:

That appears to strengthen chances for French wines and Port.

posted Hide Post
2010 Vieux Telegraph CdP??

Posts: 260 | Location: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I would like to think in the 5 years running I would want or care about at least one of the wines. Smack

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bedrock heritage 2011

Posts: 540 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another bet on the Dow. 99 for $80, industrial quantities and they didn't give it when the 07 was rated 100.

Next choices would be the Evanstad and the 2009 Muga, Seleccion Especial.

I really hope it's not either of those.

Posts: 10151 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Another bet on the Dow. 99 for $80, industrial quantities and they didn't give it when the 07 was rated 100.

Yep.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
....Evanstad and 2009 Muga, Seleccion Especial.

+1 (Nooo....not worthy not worthy not worthy not worthy)

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Next choices would be the Evanstad and the 2009 Muga, Seleccion Especial.

onyl 5000 cases

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12229 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
quote:

I would like to think in the 5 years running I would want or care about at least one of the wines. Smack

Wow. WS. Wow. That is an impressively idiotic list. I mean, imho. No disrespect. Wink

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7630 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow. WS. Wow. That is an impressively idiotic list. I mean, imho. No disrespect. Wink

In all seriousness...

Here is the thing. WS WOTY isn't for people who already know wine. It might be useful (before the inevitable price increases) for newbies who are still suckered in by fruit forward, open-knit, "obvious" wines. But people who have vast knowledge and experience, who have gotten over the (over)ripe fruit stuff, who look for subtlety, nuance, terrior, who are more likely to be drinking small producer Morgons than all red wines made south of the Equator combined, more likely to drink white wine from Austria than from CA... this list just isn't meant for us.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7630 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In all seriousness...

Here is the thing. WS WOTY isn't for people who already know wine. It might be useful (before the inevitable price increases) for newbies who are still suckered in by fruit forward, open-knit, "obvious" wines. But people who have vast knowledge and experience, who have gotten over the (over)ripe fruit stuff, who look for subtlety, nuance, terrior, who are more likely to be drinking small producer Morgons than all red wines made south of the Equator combined, more likely to drink white wine from Austria than from CA... this list just isn't meant for us.

What year do you think this changed? This was not always the case.

Posts: 30175 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be shocked if it isn't a European red wine this year. The WOTY has lost its way the past few years for whatever reason. Hopefully the staff recognizes that and would bring back some credibility to the choice. I sure hope it isn't the '10 VT as someone posted above. I haven't gotten around to picking any up yet.

Posts: 3169 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One point to consider: even though WS has a diffusion worldwide. its list for the WOTY is frankly meaningless for the rest of the world as far as quality is concerned (besides US I mean), because of the role played by availability of the wines in US market.

From a commercial point of view, it's different. Any non-US winery would like to make the list for raising prices and opening new markets abroad. But if, for example, we see Pio Cesare's Barolo mentioned in the list, and we know that in Italy there are say 40 Barolos as good as it, priced like it or better, without even considering the big guns (no disrespect intended for Pio Cesare, it's just an example), what are we doing in Italy with this WS WOTY list? What is the difference with respect to a lottery?

Posts: 101 | Location: Piedmont | Registered: Jan 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Bordeaux is too high-brow.

This list isn't for wine nerds, it's meant to be list for the masses. They use the list to sell mags, and hopefully generate subscriptions. If I'm your average "I like wine" Joe, and I buy the top 100 edition, and I see the WOTY is a $200+ wine with language that I can't read, I'll immediately say "Yeah, forget it. Where's the Dogfish head?".

Port has a similar, but different problem. Not everybody likes Port or can appreciate Port. It's also hard for "I like wine" Joe to differentiate between $100 Dow's VP, and the $25 Dow's at the grocery store. All the pseudo-wine-nerds who I know will text me the day the WOTY is announced to ask me if I have any, or know where to get any. If it's a Port, I can already see their reactions "Isn't that the dessert stuff??"

Anyway, it'll just be a fun list for us nerds to poke fun at and say "what?!?!"

Posts: 5001 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see an Argentinian Malbec atop the list this year, Achaval-Ferrer in particular. Their 2010 was 10th on the list last year (with 96 pts) and their 2011 also scored 96 points. At around $120 it seems to check all their boxes while also giving the magazine an opportunity to highlight this region.

I had also contemplated 2010 Bordeaux but as another poster mentioned it might be too highbrow at this point.

Posts: 162 | Location: Springfield MA | Registered: Jun 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by W-MassWineGuy:

I had also contemplated 2010 Bordeaux but as another poster mentioned it might be too highbrow at this point.

pfffffffffffftttt.... another poster.

as the wise, benevolent Jorgerunfast mentioned...

Razz

Posts: 5001 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post