WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Schott Zsweisel authenticity question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schott Zsweisel authenticity question
 Login/Join 
posted
My lovely wife purchased a set of Zsweisel tritan glasses from a professional online store (Wine Stuff) through amazon. The glasses came but none have the "Schott Zsweisel" etching that my other glasses do.

Does anyone here have any Zsweisel glasses without the etching on the bottom? Am I just paraonid, or were we sold fakes? We contacted the seller and they "guarantee they purchase them straight from the manufacturer", but that doesn't tell me what we wanted to hear.

Thoughts?

“Being drunk is a good disguise. I drink so I can talk to *******s. This includes me.”

Posts: 1348 | Location: Pleasant Hill, Ca | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:
My lovely wife purchased a set of Zsweisel tritan glasses from a professional online store (Wine Stuff) through amazon. The glasses came but none have the "Schott Zsweisel" etching that my other glasses do.

Does anyone here have any Zsweisel glasses without the etching on the bottom? Am I just paraonid, or were we sold fakes? We contacted the seller and they "guarantee they purchase them straight from the manufacturer", but that doesn't tell me what we wanted to hear.

Thoughts?

when in doubt return them.

all mine have schott on them

i know the restaurant ones don't have schott on them much like the riedel restaurants glasses.

they're usually cheaper and only sold to restaurants

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 10944 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the restaurant line of Schott Zsweisel glassware at a restaurant supply place and mine aren't branded (as g-man says). Why don't you check with the retailer about which model you were sold?

Posts: 4970 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy mine direct from the Canadian distributor (Fortesa). I'll check the glasses.

Awesome stemware. I buy their top of the line hand blown stems, which are as good as Riedels best, but don't break when you look at them.

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

Posts: 721 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure how, but Schott should try to do a better job with their retailers or their brand will suffer. Saw an offer for the Burgundy Tritan on beverage factory and bought a dozen. The ones i received were Beaujolais glasses, same shape but smaller. Sent them back and although beverage factory reprocessed the order i got back the beaujolais glasses again. Talked to them and their response was that schott is changing the models often and thus they are now calling the burgundy glasses Claret burgundy!! WTF. Cancelled the order.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1455 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll return them. To me it doesn't matter if there is a logo on them so long as they're authentic, however there's no way to prove that without trying to break them, in which case it would be too late.

“Being drunk is a good disguise. I drink so I can talk to *******s. This includes me.”

Posts: 1348 | Location: Pleasant Hill, Ca | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardking:

Thoughts?

I have bought them for myself from amazon and sur la table as well as in two different restaurants (one in chicago, one in michigan) and every single stem I looked at was branded on the base. Seems shady.

Posts: 57 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same here. I bought a few Shiraz stems by Schott and each one also had the logo etched on the base.

However, I also think sometimes when they do a special run for restaurants/other venues, they may not have them individually etched.

Just depends how picky you are! Smile

Posts: 123 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: Oct 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post