WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Kramers new blog on aging wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kramers new blog on aging wine
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:

My wines tend to fall into 5 categories:

1) Drink and buy daily drinkers. Economical daily drinkers that could last 2-5 years. Drink many. Cellar a few up to 5 or so years.

2) Lower end wines that will improve with some age. e.g. Lower end Bordeaux: D'Agassac, Fleur de Barbeyron, Clarke, some Fronsacs... Drink well from 5-10 years.

3) Vin de Guard: 10-20 years. This covers many in my cellar. 2001 Bordeaux are drinking well. Bordeaux from the 1990s are drinking well.

4) Longer ageing wines. Some big CDPs come to mind as do some Barolos. I'll keep a few bottles to 20-30 years of age, but will drink some along the way.

5) The rest: very short list of wines that seem to go the distance. Latour and Haut Brion come to mind, and of course quite a few stickies.

I think vincentric notes how most people think about their collections. However, the broad misperception is that all wines are in categories 3-5 when its really a great deal are in 1 with the vast majority being contained in 1 + 2. So sticking to 1-2 is going to be more economical, your going to get a lot of value for your $. However, many forumites understand you are never going to find the delight and joy that comes from those truly exceptional experiences that show up in categories 3-5, and thats what we're always trying to chase. So its really of matter of getting informed before you start investing your dollars and building a collection.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 395 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post