WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What 2009 Bordeaux did you buy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 2009 Bordeaux did you buy?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I only ordered two 09 Bordeaux on futures:

Malescot St Exupery - received them already
Pontet-Canet - should get them soon

But in reality, I should be like Board-O and sit it out on the sidelines.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chateau Zilch.

Posts: 135 | Location: NYC | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
isn't that adjacent to Chateau Nada?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5727 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
isn't that adjacent to Chateau Nada?

Both owned by Chateau ThnxChina4thelol$$$.

Posts: 1663 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a few bottles of Chateau Haut Ballet Fronsac. I will probably just skim the fringes of Bordeaux for values in 2009.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current list of purchases:

2009 Château La Croix de Queynac (VM88-89) @ $8
2009 Château Villars Fronsac (WA89+) @ $15
2009 Château Côte Montpezat Cuvée Compostelle Côtes de Castillon (WS91-94) @ $16
2009 Château Faizeau Sélection Vieilles Vignes Montagne-St. Émilion (WA90-92, WS87-90) @ $17
2009 Château Clerc Milon (WS93, WA92, JS95, VM 92-94) @ $54
2009 Château Fleur Cardinale St. Émilion (WA94, WS93, JS93) @ $35
2009 Château de Seguin Cuvée Prestige @ $11 (VM88)
2009 Château Hauchat @ $12 (WS89)
2009 Château Lescalle Cuvée Emmanuel Tessandier @ $7.50
2009 Château Pomys St. Estèphe @ $12
2009 Château Pontet-Canet @ $120 (WA100, WS96)

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just skimming as well, but bought some 2009 Chateau Arnauton for daily drinking

Posts: 216 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my original post in February, I have bought:

Branaire
Batailley
Lilian Ladouys
Grand Puy Lacoste
Cruzeau
Arnauton Grand Sol

Posts: 3074 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malescot still on my list. Anyone want to sell me some of their hoard for under $90? That would be better than a 10% gain for many of you. Maybe a trade? Anyone need a kid? ...

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my last post, I've added Smith Haut Lafitte, Fleur Cardinale and Lilian Ladouys. Malescot, Leoville Barton and Clerc Milon are on the radar.

Posts: 130 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went light on 2009, Malescot and a few early drinkers:

2009 Ch Malescot Exupery
2009 Ch Beaumont
2009 Ch La Dauphine
2009 Paloumey

Leoville Barton, Lilian Ladouys are on the radar.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought more Bordeaux from this vintage than any other, but it's still a modest amount...this the first really good vintage since I've gotten into this "hobby":

Rauzan Segla
Grand Puy Lacoste
Batailley
Senejac

Still looking to pick up Leoville Barton, Gruaud Larose, D'Issan, and maybe a few others...

Posts: 800 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of fine buying going on here.

Many of the reviews I have seen are saying these are 30-40 years wines for best drinking.

If I'm still enjoying wine in 30+ years, I'm going to need some fellow forum members to share with me. Big Grin

Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
If I'm still enjoying wine in 30+ years, I'm going to need some fellow forum members to share with me. Big Grin

and perhaps to change your diapers Big Grin

Posts: 5135 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cantemerle
Blason D' Isan
Chateau de France
Guiraud
Lilian Ladouys

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1588 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Novice question

I did grab two cases of lilian ladouys, it's drinking really well right now, what is the opinion on its drinking window ?

Please consider this my first en primeur so I'm gathering info

Alan

Posts: 540 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
Novice question

I did grab two cases of lilian ladouys, it's drinking really well right now, what is the opinion on its drinking window ?

Please consider this my first en primeur so I'm gathering info

Alan

Good question Alan, and good move picking up 2 cases. I remember buying my first full case on futures, and drinking it within 5-6 years because I didn't have many aged wines at the time. It could have aged longer. That gives you the opportunity to sample them over time and 1) see how it evolves, and 2) have a few left for when it is at its peak, and 3) a couple left to see how long it will go.

That said, I have Lilian Ladouys on the buy list, but haven't tasted it yet. Based on other 2009s in the price range, and past experience with similar wines and good vintages - the should start to drink nicely soon, and go easily to 10 years or more, perhaps 12 -15. With 2 boxes, hopefully you can save a few for well down the road. The important question is at what stage of evolution you prefer it. Drink 1 or 2 a year and you'll find out. For me, my guess would be at 8-12 yrs.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I originally started drinking wine in the early 80's and good Bourdeaux was accessible back then in the UK. I stopped for a long time and restarted now im in the US, i have fallen in love with US Rhone styles and what conccerns me is that every time i now try a Bordeaux especially anything older the fruit is just not that present, I know this is a huge oversimplification and that claret will increase in subtlety and complexity but do you think in 10 years it will still have teh fruit of today.

Again, please dont jump on this as sounding stupid, i know every region has huge differences.

Posts: 540 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only bought for now:

Clos Marsalette Pessac-Léognan
Château Sénéjac Haut-Médoc
Château Doisy-Daëne Grand Vin Sec

Planning to focus on 2010 for Bordeaux. Bought lots of 2009 Burgundy (including Beaujolais) and Northen Rhone, passing on Bordeaux.

I'm just missing an another vintage of the ccentury, that's all Razz

Posts: 874 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
I originally started drinking wine in the early 80's and good Bourdeaux was accessible back then in the UK. I stopped for a long time and restarted now im in the US, i have fallen in love with US Rhone styles and what conccerns me is that every time i now try a Bordeaux especially anything older the fruit is just not that present, I know this is a huge oversimplification and that claret will increase in subtlety and complexity but do you think in 10 years it will still have teh fruit of today.

Again, please dont jump on this as sounding stupid, i know every region has huge differences.

No, I wouldn't expect it to have the fruit of today, but other changes may take place that you may, or may not enjoy. If you like youthful fruit, then you may want to drink more bottles sooner. If you open a couple per year, hopefully you'll see when they are no longer improving - in terms of you palate and tastes. Bordeaux at that level tend to evolve quicker than the big guns, in my experience, but can still evolve into something quite nice at 7 or 8 years and last a few more, especially in a good vintage.

posted Hide Post
2 x Cos d'Estournel
4 x Ducru Beaucaillou
2 x Leoville Las Cases
2 x Leoville Poyferre
6 x Monbousquet
6 x Mags Chateau Monbousquet
4 x Chateau Montrose
2 x Chateau Pavie
5 x Pontet Canet
3 x 1/2 d'Yquem
3 x 1/2 Rieussec
3 x La Fleur Petrus
3 x Carruades de Lafite
12 x Clos de Sarpe
12 x Le Gay

"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"

Posts: 2633 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just pick up 3 x Godeau

Posts: 1050 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many of the reviews I have seen are saying these are 30-40 years wines for best drinking.
It will be fun to compare 00, 05, 09 and 10 down the road when they are ready. 09 and 10 will be especially fun since there seems to be a split as to which is the better vintage. I think most agree 10 will outlive 09, but 09 has a lot of fans as well. Most of my friends that are ITB prefer 10, but I haven’t tasted enough to form an opinion. The 00’s were good to Bordeaux that is for sure.

Posts: 6511 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:

It will be fun to compare 00, 05, 09 and 10 down the road when they are ready. 09 and 10 will be especially fun since there seems to be a split as to which is the better vintage. I think most agree 10 will outlive 09, but 09 has a lot of fans as well. Most of my friends that are ITB prefer 10, but I haven’t tasted enough to form an opinion. The 00’s were good to Bordeaux that is for sure.

Most of the 2009s I've tasted have been pretty open for business(nothing classified though). I have not tried any 2010s yet.

Posts: 4545 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

Most of my friends that are ITB prefer 10, but I haven’t tasted enough to form an opinion.

The two palates I respect the most ITB both strongly prefer the 2010's.

Posts: 30128 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post