WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What 2009 Bordeaux did you buy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 2009 Bordeaux did you buy?
 Login/Join 
posted
Initially, I did not buy any futures. However, after tasting a dozen introductory level 2009's earlier this year and then attending the 2009 UGC tasting, I decided to buy. Because of high prices for the top wines (coupled with a lack of patience in waiting for them to develop and the fact that I already have a good supply of higher end 1996, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2005 bordeaux), I chose to concentrate on some of the "bargains" that would be ready to drink earlier or at least were not overpriced.

I'm not done buying as I plan on seeing what Costco and other stores will offer when they show up on the shelves. In the meantime, here is what I have so far:

2009 Château La Croix de Queynac (VM88-89) @ $8
2009 Château Villars Fronsac (WA89+) @ $15
2009 Château Côte Montpezat Cuvée Compostelle Côtes de Castillon (WS91-94) @ $16
2009 Château Faizeau Sélection Vieilles Vignes Montagne-St. Émilion (WA90-92, WS87-90) @ $17
2009 Château Clerc Milon (WS93, WA92, JS95, VM 92-94) @ $54
2009 Château Fleur Cardinale St. Émilion (WA94, WS93, JS93) @ $35

Curious to read what others purchased and what they paid.

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

Posts: 12068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pontet Canet

Posts: 47 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cos D'Estorunel

Posts: 3642 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First time I have purchased Bdx futures - actually, first time I have purchased Bdx, period - will probably be the last too based on the way price is escalating. I attempted to go for a value "sampler" with a couple of higher end (for me anyway) wines thrown in for comparison purposes.

Tour de Mons, Margaux ($25)
Tour Maillet, Pomerol ($31)
Godeau, St-Emilion ($30)
Malescot-St-Exupery, Margaux ($100)
Canon-La Gaffeliere, St-Emilion ($90)
Paloumey, Haut-Medoc ($18)

Posts: 272 | Registered: Sep 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
/

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1740 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nada.

PH

Posts: 14651 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't like the high prices, but I enjoyed the wines at the UGC tasting and 2009 was my wedding year, so I bought an assortment (usually a couple bottles of each):

Branaire Ducru
Domaine de Chevalier
La Conseillante
Grand Puy Lacoste
Lynch Bages
Malescot St. Exupery
Pape Clement
Pavie Macquin
Pichon Baron
Pontet Canet
Prieure Lichine

I will also be on the lookout for La Lagune, Batailley and Clerc Milon. I already purchased and tasted a bottle of Lilian Ladouys last month and really enjoyed it, so may look for more of that as well.

I would like to pick up a few whites at some point, looking at Carbonnieux, Chevalier or Smith Haut Lafitte. I also picked up a few halves of Coutet already.

Posts: 2808 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Binny's still has futures of the Clerc Milon for $54.

VM

Posts: 12068 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 - zippo
2010 - null
2009 - zero
2008 - none
2007 - zilch
2006 - nada

Smile

Posts: 4965 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
2011 - zippo
2010 - null
2009 - zero
2008 - none
2007 - zilch
2006 - nada

Smile

ditto! Big Grin

"You can never get enough of what you don't really need to make you happy." -- Eric Hoffer

Posts: 1085 | Location: San Diego CA | Registered: May 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 3 bottles of Montrose for 2009 on futures. Might pick up a few random wines here and there when they hit the shelves. I have over 15 cases of Bordeaux from 00, 01, 04, 05, 08 so my days of buying big volume of Bordeaux futures are over.

Posts: 6237 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clerc Milon
Haut Bergey
Malescot

If we're including Sauternes as well, then

Guiraud
Rieussec
Suduiraut

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:
quote:
2011 - zippo
2010 - null
2009 - zero
2008 - none
2007 - zilch
2006 - nada

Smile

ditto! Big Grin

+3. 2005 was the last year I bought futures. With so many back vintages (1989, 1990, 2000, etc) available for the same or less money than 2009's, why buy something that won't drink well for at least ten years?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:
quote:
2011 - zippo
2010 - null
2009 - zero
2008 - none
2007 - zilch
2006 - nada

Smile

ditto! Big Grin

+3. 2005 was the last year I bought futures. With so many back vintages (1989, 1990, 2000, etc) available for the same or less money than 2009's, why buy something that won't drink well for at least ten years?

I am slowly getting there....I had a massive 2009 futures order and just paired it back to 6 bottles of pontet canet and 6 of Domaine de chevalier....prices really are insane and back vintages are cheap....I just worry what I am going to do in 20 years if I haven't bought futures as the secondary market is not going to be nearly as friendly with the high en primeur prices....

Posts: 1098 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
I just worry what I am going to do in 20 years if I haven't bought futures as the secondary market is not going to be nearly as friendly with the high en primeur prices....

drink all the other comparable and great juice out in this world?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11015 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Far too much, or so I thought at the time... I guess I will be happy at some distant point in the future.

A case each of in no particular order

Pichon longueville Lalande
Pontet Canet
Gruaud Larose
Malescot St-Exupery
Smith Haut Lafitte
Batailley
Calon Segur
Poujeaux
La Fleur de Bouard
Lynch Bages
Grand Puy Lacoste
D'Armaillhac
Vray Croix de Gay
Guiraud
Sauternes (d'Yquem)
And 5 cases of de Fieuzal (it was good, it was relatively cheap...)

must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!

Posts: 1100 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mostly 6 bottles lots of:

leoville poyferre
gruaud larose
Domaine Chevalier
Pichon Baron
St Pierre
Malescot
Lagrange

case of Lilian Ladouys and Le Thil

Mags of Chevalier, Lilian Ladouys and Lagrange

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm scaling back Futures as well, not as quickly as VinToronto, but getting there. 2005 was the last significant Futures vintage for me. More attractive pricing on older vintages has been getting more and more enticing.

Did order up:

Malescot
Baumont
La Dauphine
May get one or two more - no rush - lots of other good things out there, Burgs, Rhone, Italy, Cali... older Bordeaux...

No Sauternes - buying 07, 05, 01, 97, 83, 76....

Posts: 1604 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BirDungy:
Far too much, or so I thought at the time... I guess I will be happy at some distant point in the future.

A case each of in no particular order

Pichon longueville Lalande
Pontet Canet
Gruaud Larose
Malescot St-Exupery
Smith Haut Lafitte
Batailley
Calon Segur
Poujeaux
La Fleur de Bouard
Lynch Bages
Grand Puy Lacoste
D'Armaillhac
Vray Croix de Gay
Guiraud
Sauternes (d'Yquem)
And 5 cases of de Fieuzal (it was good, it was relatively cheap...)

Was that one years Bordeaux budget? ........ it's more like 10 years overall cellar budget in my household given 2009 prices.

WSET Adv
http://twitter.com/ilb013

Posts: 387 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nenin @ $60
La Lagune @ $55
Talbot @ $55
Gruaud Larose @ $65
Prieure Lichine @ $55
Cantenac Brown @ $55

I'm still thinking about picking up some Malescot-St. Exupery or Leoville Barton, both of which are around $100.

Posts: 117 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just worry what I am going to do in 20 years if I haven't bought futures as the secondary market is not going to be nearly as friendly with the high en primeur prices....

If you are approaching my age start to ignore the Grand Vins that will take another 20 years to be ready and go for some second wines that will drink much earlier. They usually reach that market 2-3 years after the vintage and stay reasonably available. Reserve de Leoville Barton, Amiral de Beychevelle, Sarget de Gruaud Larose, La Parde de Haut Bailly etc all provide lovely shorter term drinking (5-10 years)especially in the decent vintages.

WSET Adv
http://twitter.com/ilb013

Posts: 387 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I've bought thus far is a few bottles of Faizeau VV for drinking now. I also bought a mag that I will open in the next couple years. I won't be buying any of the big boys, as I'd be much happier backfilling ready to drink (or close to it) wines for a fraction of the cost.

Posts: 1243 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 isn't my style of vintage, and that was confirmed at the UGC tasting, in fact it was much worse than I expected. I purchased as futures what I hoped would be reds for drinking over 10 years, but after the tasting I will be enjoying these (hopefully) for early drinking....as I don't expect these to age gracefully. I am concerned that 2009 will be a HUGE waste of money for me....and I hope these wines develop some structure and typical Bordeaux characteristics that I did not find at the UGC tasting. I should have not listened to the critics.....live and learn. Frown

du Tertre
Domaine de Chevalier
Cantenac Brown
Giscours
Prieure-Lichine
Poujeaux
Rol Valentin
La Lagune
La Tour de Bessan
and a few others....

For Sauternes (which I did enjoy at the UGC tasting)

I purchased about 8 different ones on futures...and I feel that these will be enjoyed best young as well.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started buying Bordeaux in the ’95 release, and it is nearly half my cellar, but have only bought a total of 9 bottles between the 06, 07, & 08 vintages. Like many above, I had pretty much written off 09 as an overpriced vintage and did not plan to buy anything other than a few low end QPR type stuff off the shelves. Then I went to the UGC tasting and, unlike some others, I loved the combination of concentration, acidity, and sweet tannins. Was amazed at how approachable, yet structured, the best ones were. My experience at UGC made me at least look at futures and I was surprised to find that some lower tier right banks I bought in 00 and 05 could be purchased for the same or less in 09. Yes, the better wines are more expensive, but some still warrant their price in my book given the quality I experienced. I did a little cherry picking with just a few bottles of the better stuff, as those wines won’t be ready until after I retire (the better 10’s may outlive me given how long they are said to take to mature). I will likely buy more.

d'Aiguilhe $25 *
Arnauton (Costco) $13
Barde Haut $37
Faugeres $33 *
Fleur Cardinale $35 *
Fontenil $28
Haut Bergey $35
Le Crock $22
Leoville Barton $95
Malescot $99
Marsac Seguineau (Costco) $19
Pape Clement $130
Pontet Canet $160
Poujeaux $30

* bought for less than 05 and/or 00

Posts: 2980 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duhart Milon
Clerc Milon
Grand Puy Lacoste
Pontet Canet
Rol Valentine
Clinet
Montrose
Malescot

Yeah back vintages are cheaper and I am still buying those but I like the idea of owning the wine for 20-30 years and knowing it will be well taken care of.

Posts: 4159 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post