WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Hard to find wines getting easier to find?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard to find wines getting easier to find?
 Login/Join 
posted
In New Hampshire the state runs the majority of the wine and all the liquor stores. It used to be tough to find anything except wines with high production numbers here but in the past year or two I see more and more wines like Dunn, Merry Edwards, Sea Smoke & Rochioli to name a few I've recently picked up. Other mailing list only wines, even cult cabs have been showing up more frequently too.

They've obviously always had the buying power to load up on expensive wines (they always buy heavily in the best Bordeaux vintages) but I'm wondering if they have better buyers now, if these are more readily available due to the down economy or if they finally got through on mailing lists or what. Maybe these wines are always readily available on shelves elsewhere but if not is anyone else seeing more of these wines in their local stores? I'm not complaining, very good prices and no shipping or taxes here, just curious what's going on in other places.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hard to find wines I've been looking for are still hard to find. I have yet to find a good selection of Vouvrays or grower Champagnes anywhere.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
The hard to find wines I've been looking for are still hard to find. I have yet to find a good selection of Vouvrays or grower Champagnes anywhere.
Are you not impressed with Chambers St. Wines?

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O,

Send me an email of the Grower Champagnes you are interested in. I have access to quite a few of them

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems cyclical in my market.
There are periods where I see several "hard to find" gems in my LWSs mixed in with relative dry periods.

I too wish we had a better selection of Champagne locally. Very monotonous selection of the largest houses. Thank goodness for the internet.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2859 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post