WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wall Street Journal's 10 Wine Resolutions for 2012
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Wall Street Journal's 10 Wine Resolutions for 2012
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Thought this was a good article:

WSJ 10 Wine Resolutions

VM
 
Posts: 12367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I skimmed the article and I agree with all of them. Especially the don’t drink wine at charity benefits, except I would make it all corporate mixer type events. With a few exceptions most of those events serve plunk so I usually drink water or beer.
 
Posts: 6594 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I skimmed the article and I agree with all of them. Especially the don’t drink wine at charity benefits, except I would make it all corporate mixer type events.


Generally true statement and one worth heeding.
That said, I recall kicking back one evening, drinking Bookers Bourban and scaning the online wine auction sites (BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS). Came across a 3-pack lot offering one bottle each of 2000 Lafite, 2000 Margaux and 2000 Latour. Man, that was tempting and there wasn't any action on it, but still quite pricey. In an act of inebriated compulsion I bid the base bid, and wone it! Holy Crap! I shuddered. Went to bed feeling like a real horse's patoot for doing such a silly thing.

Move forward a few years: Lafite is caught in a speculation bubble and China is paying stupid money for it. I decide to off my Lafite and the one bottle sells for more than I'd originally paid for all three. What a hoot!

Now I don't condone this type of behaviour at all. Not smart in the long run. But had it not been for that foolish evening on the sofa drinking Bookers Bourban I would never have allowed my 'logic self' to partake of such exquisite First Growths at those prices.

There's a moral to this story. In fact I think there is a couple. I'll leave it to you... Smile
 
Posts: 15733 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I skimmed the article and I agree with all of them. Especially the don’t drink wine at charity benefits, except I would make it all corporate mixer type events.


Generally true statement and one worth heeding.
That said, I recall kicking back one evening, drinking Bookers Bourban and scaning the online wine auction sites (BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS). Came across a 3-pack lot offering one bottle each of 2000 Lafite, 2000 Margaux and 2000 Latour. Man, that was tempting and there wasn't any action on it, but still quite pricey. In an act of inebriated compulsion I bid the base bid, and wone it! Holy Crap! I shuddered. Went to bed feeling like a real horse's patoot for doing such a silly thing.

Move forward a few years: Lafite is caught in a speculation bubble and China is paying stupid money for it. I decide to off my Lafite and the one bottle sells for more than I'd originally paid for all three. What a hoot!

Now I don't condone this type of behaviour at all. Not smart in the long run. But had it not been for that foolish evening on the sofa drinking Bookers Bourban I would never have allowed my 'logic self' to partake of such exquisite First Growths at those prices.

There's a moral to this story. In fact I think there is a couple. I'll leave it to you... Smile


i was on bacardi 151 when i ended up with a case of 2002 lafite.


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12504 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The charity benefits really do serve bad wine but would you donate good wine to one of these?


www.twincitieswinetasting.com
 
Posts: 452 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not very good resolutions at all IMO.

Drink less but better? Only if you're really drinking a lot of swill. I'm happy with what I drink. If I weren't I'd drink something else.

More Riesling? I like it a lot. Had a few over the holidays. Already drink plenty of it. Not going to be a daily thing tho.

Charity? I donate wine to some of them so of course I'll drink that. If the wine is crap, I won't drink it, charity event or not. But inexpensive doesn't mean bad.

Chenin Blanc? There's only so much you can take. I like it fine but like Riesling, it's not going to be a daily thing.

More grower Champagne? Why? It's something that gives you the bloated feeling of beer w/out the sensual pleasure of wine. A half glass with some shellfish and then let's pour some real wine please.

Beaujolais? Who needs to give it a chance? I drink plenty, young and old. But vintage matters and I'm not buying an off vintage just to be buying it.

Don't forget Bordeaux? Why not? It's far from the only or best game in town.

Get the Burgundy habit under control? If you're not tempted in the least, it's not a problem that needs controlling. I feel no need to drink, much less buy, Burgundy in any shape or form. If it's poured and it's good, I'm happy, but I'm happy with anything that's good and a good Burgundy is NOT better than a good something else.

Carpe Diem - OK. That's probably the only thing I can agree with. What's the point of waiting for an occasion? Too much wine piled up for occasions doesn't do much good.

So he gets one out of ten.


"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."
 
Posts: 2678 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think I'm with Greg on this one.

With the exception that Chinon Blanc has now replaced Gruner Veltner and Beaujolais is inserted instead of 'Argentina' (or wherever was trendy last year) this is the same wine writer drival they just can't seem but help themselves from writing.

The 'drink less but better' is always puzzling to me. Why were you drinking a lot of crap in the first place that this needs to be changed?


Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com
 
Posts: 7683 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
The 'drink less but better' is always puzzling to me. Why were you drinking a lot of crap in the first place that this needs to be changed?

I believe with many on this board it's the easing into the pricier waters of the 'better stuff'.
No one dives directly into the deep end (with maybe the exception of GKapoor Cool )
An inevitably unavoidable evolution, IMO

G- I say that tongue-in-cheek with the utmost respect, BTW Wink
 
Posts: 15733 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
No one dives directly into the deep end (with maybe the exception of GKapoor Cool )
Mr. Kapoor wasn't always bathing in Krug. Him and I drank some plunk back in our younger and much poorer days Wink
 
Posts: 6594 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
but why is the less always thrown in? Can they not avoid the cliche? How about:

"Drink a whole lot more and all of it better than last year!"

Why is it always 'less and better'. What's wrong with "more and better" or "the same amount and better". On top of which, you don't really know it's better until you drink it, so it's really an impossible goal.

Like I could go out and buy all the best Sauvignon Blanc and Petite Sirah in the world and spend the most amount possible on it and if that was all I drank in 2012 I'd think I had a shitty year. "But it was 'better' than what you had in 2011". "Yeah but I don't like Petite Sirah and SB."

It's just silly nonsense like saying 'wine refreshes your palate for the next bite", or my favorite from our local wine writer who one week leads on the front page with an article denouncing wine ofer 14% alc and then two weeks later is saying what a "great food wine Amarone is'. I bet she's drinking less and better too.

Really who ever plans to drink worse wine?


Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com
 
Posts: 7683 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don’t think this list was meant for us. To us this is all pretty obvious, but I think it’s a good list for the person who likes wine, but has yet to take the next step by exploring things like Riesling, chenin blanc, etc.
 
Posts: 6594 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:

Really who ever plans to drink worse wine?


ks- I was so disappointed to hear no one else drinks and clicks =(

I suffer myself through some pinots because of the wife's friends ;-)


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12504 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with all bar number 6. Gamay vines should all be pulled up and Beaujolais replanted with pinot noir or Chardonnay. Selling Beaujolais nouveau should become a criminal offence unless specifically designated as shoe cleaner.

BirD


****************************
must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!
****************************
 
Posts: 1115 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wall Street Journal's 10 Wine Resolutions for 2012

© Wine Spectator 2013