WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Refrigerator Electricity Usage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Refrigerator Electricity Usage
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

New user here, and please to meet all.

I've recently decided to start collecting red wines as a side hobby (not a big collection, rather ~16 bottles). Since the NY weather fluctuates a lot, I am leaning towards purchasing an 18-bottle wine refrigerator.

My question (and a rather technical one): does anyone have an estimate of how much electricity these wine refrigerators uses?

Thanks for the input!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering the unit will be only 18 bottles, presumably you'll be buying a thermoelectric unit (bad choice...they don't work that well unless the ambient temp is less than 70 degrees) which require so little electricity that you won't even notice it on your electric bill.

Posts: 53 | Location: Novi, MI | Registered: Dec 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first:

Buy a bigger unit.

ME:

1) 60 bottle Danby
9 months later: 160 bottle credenza
1 year after that: off-site storage.

go as big as you can

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Syd. My predicament is similar. Thing is, the more you read about wines and learn about ther characteristics through tastings, the more you'll want. Right now, you're probably saying something like "I don't intend to spend more than 20 bucks per bottle." But believe me, you'll figure out ways to earn extra cash, or scrimp on other things to justify buying that 50 dollar Brunello, or that 500 dollar 1/2 case of Bordeaux futures. My advice, make this your last post, and run far away if you don't want to get sucked into the vino-life.

I received a 28 bottle Avanti cooler (which I love BTW) for Christmas last December, thinking the same as you. I currently have it full, plus have another five+ cases in offsite storage, mostly stuff I won't start touching until 2009. I can easily see it doubling by years' end. On these boards, I'm small-time.

Simply put: Go Big or Go Home.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8848 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sigh some of us are poor (speaking in cooler sense) and can't afford nice large coolers. =(

i have a 32 cause i got a giant discount, still debating if i should return it, pony up an extra 100-150$ and get a 50+

Posts: 413 | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can elaborate on the specific product. I don't really see the need for an 18 bottle unit unless it was designed to hold wines at a specific temp for serving. Even units designed for 50-100 bottles are not really good options for an active buyer and drinker interested in long term storage. I see these mostly as display items, or units being used outside the primary residence to keep wines available without having to carry them around.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Aug 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my vinetagekeeper 250, my electric bill only went up about $10 to $15 a month so I would think a smaller unit would not cost that much more than what you are paying for electricity now.

Posts: 9274 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yg_jonzz:
My question (and a rather technical one): does anyone have an estimate of how much electricity these wine refrigerators uses?

That's sort of like asking what kind of mileage does a Ferrari or a Bentley get? Or much fuel will a yacht burn? If you are concerned about that type of minor expense (in relation to what you would be spending on wine), collecting wine may not be for you.

That said, power consumption will be much less if kept in a climate controlled space rather than a garage or somewhere that temps vary widely. Keep in mind the temperture differential when kept indoors would normally be only 20 degrees, much less than the 40 degrees for a refrigerator or 60 degrees for a freezer. Therefore, less usage than a refrigerator. I have replaced many incandescent bulbs with flourescent recently, and have seen a noticeable decline in usage. That would more than offest a wine cooler.

On space, I agree with others that bigger is better. However, another option is offsite storage which is what I use. I have two 50 bottle coolers at home for near term drinkers, with the rest offsite. Works well for me.

Posts: 2980 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Cavavin 200 and a Vintage Keeper 500. I'm sure they keep the meter turning in the summer, but my girlfriend pays the electricity bills. Cool

Posts: 9647 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
I have a Cavavin 200 and a Vintage Keeper 500. I'm sure they keep the meter turning in the summer, but my girlfriend pays the electricity bills. Cool

How does one go about getting a "sugar mamma"?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:

That's sort of like asking what kind of mileage does a Ferrari or a Bentley get? Or much fuel will a yacht burn? If you are concerned about that type of minor expense (in relation to what you would be spending on wine), collecting wine may not be for you.

That said, power consumption will be much less if kept in a climate controlled space rather than a garage or somewhere that temps vary widely. Keep in mind the temperture differential when kept indoors would normally be only 20 degrees, much less than the 40 degrees for a refrigerator or 60 degrees for a freezer. Therefore, less usage than a refrigerator. I have replaced many incandescent bulbs with flourescent recently, and have seen a noticeable decline in usage. That would more than offest a wine cooler.

On space, I agree with others that bigger is better. However, another option is offsite storage which is what I use. I have two 50 bottle coolers at home for near term drinkers, with the rest offsite. Works well for me.

Thanks for all the input. I understand that collecting wine is a big investment. The reason why I'm asking about the additional electricity cost is that I have a roommate and he tends to get quite stingy with these things. But my discussion with him about these things are beyond this forum.

Points taken, though. I will be looking into bigger units and will be placing the it somewhere in the living room.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you and i are in the same boat.
my roommates complain about electricity unit but one of them NEVER turns off the TV (running when i fall asleep and running when i wake up). The other one has 2 computers plus his own TV constantly running with a separate mini fridge.

and they questioned me when the electricity bill went up with my one computer and no tv -_^

Posts: 413 | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:

Thanks for all the input. I understand that collecting wine is a big investment. The reason why I'm asking about the additional electricity cost is that I have a roommate and he tends to get quite stingy with these things. But my discussion with him about these things are beyond this forum.

Points taken, though. I will be looking into bigger units and will be placing the it somewhere in the living room.

Just leave space in there for a sixer of your roommates' Meister Brau and he'll be happy.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8848 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post