WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Martini & Rossi Asti
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martini & Rossi Asti
 Login/Join 
posted
I was at a wine tasting last night and I tried Martini & Rossi Asti for the first time. It makes my sweet tooth very happy. I would like to enjoy a glass of this from time to time without throwing away half a bottle. My question is how long will an open bottle stay good? Or should I only open a bottle when I have a friend to share it with?

Is Martini & Rossi considered a good sparkling wine? Or is it considered a lower end sparkling wine. The wine tasting had more expensive bottles in the $30 range, but I enjoyed the asti the best. Am I missing something in the tasting?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WineGuy2008,

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi WineGuy. Welcome to the boards.

I've seen products advertised that do seem to be effective that can supposedly preserve the carbonation in sparkling wines for an additional day or two. Do a google search or go to Wine Enthusiast and I'm sure you'll find something.

As far as the wine you're asking about, it's not my cup of tea at all. I don't really like off-dry sparkling wines. Martini & Rossi is, to my knowledge, a mass-produced, lower-end product. If you like it though, more power to you! It's easy to find and not very expensive.

Cheers!

Posts: 2904 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Hi WineGuy. Welcome to the boards.

I've seen products advertised that do seem to be effective that can supposedly preserve the carbonation in sparkling wines for an additional day or two. Do a google search or go to Wine Enthusiast and I'm sure you'll find something.

As far as the wine you're asking about, it's not my cup of tea at all. I don't really like off-dry sparkling wines. Martini & Rossi is, to my knowledge, a mass-produced, lower-end product. If you like it though, more power to you! It's easy to find and not very expensive.

Thanks for the Wine Enthusiast tip. I found exactly what I am looking for, and they also have nice wine storage. I will be placing orders soon.

posted Hide Post
It is a lower end but decent sweet sparkler. My aunt loves the stuff and brings some every New Years so I've tried it a few times. While you can preserve it with those systems it is also widely available, around here anyways, in half bottles and single servings so you won't have to worry about leftovers. Welcome to the boards.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At $9 or $10 per bottle, losing a half bottle due to staleness isn't a big deal, anyhow.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7159 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
At $9 or $10 per bottle, losing a half bottle due to staleness isn't a big deal, anyhow.

I was poor at one point in my life. Throwing away half a bottle is like throwing away $5. If one half bottle is thrown out per week, that comes to $260 per year. Throwing out two half bottles per week is the same as throwing away $520 per year. Saving two half bottle per week is like getting 4 free bottles of $130 wine at the end of the year. If you were frugal like above for 20 years, that would come to $10,400-- all from saving half a $10 bottle of Asti.

I would not drink Asti flat or if it went bad. But if there is a stopper that can preserve a half bottle for a day or two then why open a new bottle?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
It is a lower end but decent sweet sparkler. My aunt loves the stuff and brings some every New Years so I've tried it a few times. While you can preserve it with those systems it is also widely available, around here anyways, in half bottles and single servings so you won't have to worry about leftovers. Welcome to the boards.

I was surprised by how much I like Asti. At the wine tasting, I predicted I would like the most expensive wine the most, and the least expensive wine the least. It turned out I liked Asti the best. There were true champagnes from France and I did not enjoy them as much. There was no sweetness to the French Champagne. I liked how the Asti bubbles were very soft. I enjoyed the sweetness of Asti.

What champagne or sparkling wine would be a step up from Asti, but would be sweet and have a clean finish?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I was poor at one point in my life. Throwing away half a bottle is like throwing away $5. If one half bottle is thrown out per week, that comes to $260 per year. Throwing out two half bottles per week is the same as throwing away $520 per year. Saving two half bottle per week is like getting 4 free bottles of $130 wine at the end of the year. If you were frugal like above for 20 years, that would come to $10,400-- all from saving half a $10 bottle of Asti.

All of the above is true. And, if you throw away a half bottle ($5) every 10 minutes it would be really expensive.
If you are going to be drinking this much of this stuff as in your example, yes, you need a way to preserve it, but I would assume that
a) no one drinks this much Asti, not even the mice in the experiments and
b) if you like it that much, you'd finish the bottle.
As to the question of what would be a step up, in my view, you might try some Cava or some Prosecco. See if the local wine merchant you frequent has a recommendation.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7159 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the aged champagnes better myself. With the toffee, caramel, butterscotch yeasty flavors they are delicious. When I do go for fresher fruitier ones they are usually rose's (sorry I can't get the little thing over the "e"). There's plenty of sweeter sparklers too, usually they are less expensive also which is nice if you like that style. The Asti tasted like a melon ball to me last itme I tried it but if it shows up again this New Years I'll give it another shot. The sweeter ones usually have some indication on the label also like demi sec or extra dry. I had a Domaine Ste. Michelle Extra Dry this summer that was pretty good in that style. If you want to read up on champagne I found this to be a decent website in the past

http://www.champagnemagic.com/

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineGuy2008:
quote:

I would not drink Asti flat or if it went bad. But if there is a stopper that can preserve a half bottle for a day or two then why open a new bottle?

Well by that logic I would not buy any wine at all and just put that money back, imagine how much money you would have in 20 years then.

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WineGuy2008:
I was surprised by how much I like Asti. At the wine tasting, I predicted I would like the most expensive wine the most, and the least expensive wine the least. It turned out I liked Asti the best. There were true champagnes from France and I did not enjoy them as much. There was no sweetness to the French Champagne. I liked how the Asti bubbles were very soft. I enjoyed the sweetness of Asti.

Most Champagne houses make sweeter versions of their products but the vast majority of what we see on shelves here (being the U.S. in my case) is brut. You have to look harder but there are very slightly sweet ("extra dry") and mildly sweet ("sec") versions to be found.

However, M&R Asti vinified to "brut" level would still not taste too much like most Champagne anyway, at least in my opinion. Muscat grapes form the foundation of this wine, which have a distinctive flavor profile that differs substantially from the still wines that form the foundation of Champagne. So, your preference for one over the other may be due to a lot more than just residual sugar levels.

Posts: 42 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at the wine shop today and the lady in front of me had bottles of M and R Asti they were purchasing. They said they were trying to get their grandparents drunk tonight so I had to chuckle. Happy new year all! Razz

Posts: 9446 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
I was at the wine shop today and the lady in front of me had bottles of M and R Asti they were purchasing. They said they were trying to get their grandparents drunk tonight so I had to chuckle. Happy new year all! Razz

Asti is only 7% alcohol. Why not get a 11% champagne if that is the goal?

posted Hide Post
Once again the Asti showed up for the midnight toast. I myself went with a 1996 Pol Roger Brut but after that was gone I tried the Asti. It was extremely sweet and fruity with a pale greenish tint to it. A very un-champagne like profile. No joke here, it was a dead ringer for the Welch's sparkling white grape juice my pregnant wife was drinking. Loads of sugar and sweet, if that's your thing definitely go with extra dry or demi sec.

posted Hide Post
moscato d' asti would probably be the step up from teh martini and rossi.

I persoanlyl like the La Spinetta's moscato d' asti which has a good balance with the sugar.

if you don't like champagne, don't drink it. You can save yourself quite alot of money by not drinking something you don't like.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12178 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with g-man. For an extra few bucks ($10-$15), WineGuy, why not try a Moscato d'Asti? I think you'll find it much better than the M&R.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Instant Access,

Posts: 324 | Location: DC | Registered: Nov 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if your grandparents only drink once a year at new years and you are in your twilight years 7% alchohol will do the job! Alot less expensive than champagne. Razz

Posts: 9446 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont they make M&R in half bottles? If you just want an inexpensive sweet Italian sparkler, you should be able to find several labels offering half bottles at your local wine shop.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Lincoln NE | Registered: Jul 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wineguy - I don't like the wine you drank. But if you like sweeter sparkling wines, you're in luck because the Italians do a good job there and the wines aren't expensive. They make sparkling muscat, or even better, find a brachetto. Those wines are inexpensive and far, far better than the Asti. It's sort of like the difference between going to the grocery store and buying a package of Velveeta or picking up a real cheddar from England. You'll never go back!

I understand your desire not to toss half a bottle of wine. The problem is that there is no really great way to keep a sparkling wine. But, since those I suggested are fairly low alc, you can probably finish them between 2 people and it will be like 1/2 a bottle of regular wine. Try the products you found, and I'm hoping they do the trick for you.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2636 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asti is a city in Northern Italy in the Piedmont region!

They make a "Spumante", which is a sweeter sparkling wine. I had my first bottle in 1964, when my palate was----more unsophisticated than it is today (maybe just a little). However, having said that, I make a realy good Mimosa with Asti Sputmante, triple sec, and Tropicana Orange Juice, with a sprig of mint; serving this light enjoyalbe drink at Holiday times, and serving it very chilled.

I personally think Asti Spumante gets bad press and really is more enjoyable than most like to admit. However, saying that, I don't open Asti Spumante unless I'm making a Mimosa! Try it, you'll like it. Also, it you have more money than sense, you can substitute Cointreau for Triple Sec

This message has been edited. Last edited by: latour67,

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that actually sound slike it would make for a brilliant brunch latour67

you will be credited amongst my guests for the recipe =)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12178 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this guy has a legitimate concern. When I think about money earned versus monthly expense, I end up asking myself "where the **** did all my money go"? I have been watching my spending a little bit more closely and can see sometimes I pointlessly waste money. Him wanting to drink 2 bottles of Asti a week for a total expenditure of $20 is completely reasonable.

Hopefully you can find some reasonably priced half bottles that are close to half price or you are satisfied with one of the preservation methods (I have little faith in these).

quote:
quote:

All of the above is true. And, if you throw away a half bottle ($5) every 10 minutes it would be really expensive.
If you are going to be drinking this much of this stuff as in your example, yes, you need a way to preserve it, but I would assume that
a) no one drinks this much Asti, not even the mice in the experiments and
b) if you like it that much, you'd finish the bottle.
As to the question of what would be a step up, in my view, you might try some Cava or some Prosecco. See if the local wine merchant you frequent has a recommendation.

Posts: 8728 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it at the store today. A 4-pack of 187's was 11.99 and the bottles were bright blue. You can drink as much as you want with no waste.

posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who remebers that television commercial that they ran 10-15 years ago with the catchy little jingle - "Martin & Rossi,Asti Spumante!"

They only ran it around Christmas time.

Never had the wine, though, but thanks to you all, I'll have that silly jingle going through my head for the next three weeks.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last week I co-hosted a big New Year's Eve party. There were some good Champagnes but it wasn't really a serious wine event. About 120 people showed up. Among all the other beverages at the bar were a few bottles of Martini & Rossi.

I was working the bar and offering pours of the better Champagnes; we were saving the cheap stuff to pop at midnight, for all the guests who weren't really into Champagne, but wanted something to toast with.

Anyway, we had several cans of Red Bull that we were using as mixers, and a guy decided he wanted to make a spritzer with Red Bull and one of the Champagnes, so he asked me for a pour of the Roederer that was in my hand. I just couldn't bring myself to waste good Champagne that way, so I suggested he try mixing the Red Bull with a splash of Martini & Rossi.

I poured the M&R into his glass of Red Bull on the rocks; he sipped it and proclaimed me a genius!

I didn't try the combo myself though. I'm pretty sure it would make me want to puke.

Posts: 2499 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post