WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    My Christmas Eve wine fail. How about sharing your story?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Christmas Eve wine fail. How about sharing your story?
 Login/Join 
posted
so going to my brother's house for christmas eve dinner has become a tradition, and i really look forward to bringing some great wine to go with his great food. this year, i sourced two bottles that i thought would be a fun contrast to each other yet both would work with the main course: roasted prime beef tenderloin with veggies. the wines: a 95 beaucastel CdP and a 97 dehlinger RRV cabernet.

i had been at my girlfriend's all weekend, and had left the bottles at home in my wine fridge. so drove an hour to my place to pick up the wines. got there and realized that i had left my keys at my GF's. but no cause for panic. i'll just use her key to my apartment. only i had taken her key a while back to give to a petsitting service. so i'm at my apartment - but can't get in. no way we can drive all the way back to her place and get the key, then drive back to my place, grab the wines then 30 more minutes driving to my brother's.

fortunately, the county liquor store near my place had an '05 grgich cab and an '07 stags leap merlot (which both drank very nice but i overpaid badly for both). so not a total loss, and we'll go back to my brother's soon for another dinner when i'll bring the original two bottles. but i felt really badly as i knew he had been looking forward to the two bottles i had told him i'd be bringing. and last night was probably our last christmas eve dinner together for a while as they are moving out of the area.

so basically, a total wine fail on my part.

anyone have any wine stories that left you still wanting to smack your forehead the next day? Smack

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only the time I promised wine+art I was bringing a 92 Dominus to an offline but brought the 97 by mistake.

He had to wait until the next time he was in town for the 92. LOL.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally forgot about an offline until I got a phone call from the restaurant asking where the hell I was!! Bang

PH

Posts: 15066 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does having $1500 worth of wine confiscated and destroyed by CBSA/Canada Customs, due to a mistake by packers in Guatemala, count?

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10661 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
Does having $1500 worth of wine confiscated and destroyed by CBSA/Canada Customs, due to a mistake by packers in Guatemala, count?

Ouch. What a waste. Damn fool customs guys.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1897 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

oh, that is truly harsh. my condolences.

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I listed some of the wines, it would be even worse! But thanks for the sympathy Smile

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10661 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You win. Close the thread. Eek

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
You win. Close the thread. Eek

Yeah, this doesn't compare with that, but here's my Christmas wine fail; I should have taken Matt Kramer's advice.

My buddy invites us over for dinner on Saturday, so I grab a few bottles I enjoy sharing and head on over. Thought there would be about 10 close friends there. Turns out, his wife invited several other people that I don't know, so there is more like 25.
I put my bottles with the rest, pour from an open one, and mingle a few minutes. I walk back over to refill my glass, and there is some guy filling his glass to the brim with my '05 Northwest Totem Longhouse Syrah. Eek Ok, well, I guess there's one at every party. I say, "Mind if I get a little of that?"
He says, "Sure," and pours me about 3 oz. Roll Eyes
A little while later, I go back and the same guy is again filling to the brim with my '05 Columbia-Crest Walter Clore. Red Face... Mad
Now, I don't mind sharing, but come on, dude! Let someone else try some! Bang

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6786 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:

They ain't no fool. The customs probably personally "destroyed" it along with a turkey feast.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1438 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
quote:

They ain't no fool. The customs probably personally "destroyed" it along with a turkey feast.

As it happens, one of my staff in Guatemala was seconded from CBSA and knew the process well, so no, the wine would be going down the drain. To be honest, it is doubtful that many if anyone of the CBSA officers would have the slightest idea what they had - each bottle was valued at $15 including 85 Fonseca and Puemo de Carmin! It was actually seized about 18 months ago and we've been fighting ever since to get it back, but our last appeal was lost last month and so the wine was likely destroyed a few days ago, according to my former staffer.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
And everyone thinks of Canada as such a friendly country. Smack

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6786 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

As it happens, one of my staff in Guatemala was seconded from CBSA and knew the process well, so no, the wine would be going down the drain. To be honest, it is doubtful that many if anyone of the CBSA officers would have the slightest idea what they had - each bottle was valued at $15 including 85 Fonseca and Puemo de Carmin! It was actually seized about 18 months ago and we've been fighting ever since to get it back, but our last appeal was lost last month and so the wine was likely destroyed a few days ago, according to my former staffer.

bman, I look forward to meeting you at an offline in the not too distant future. We can swap stories about confiscated wine and the helpful, friendly people who keep our country's borders safe. Wink

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keith, That will teach you to live that far from Christie's place, or to buy wine in MoCo.

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2614 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

if I were a more vengeful man I would say that's what you get for obviously being a Detroit sports fan EXCEPT for the Red Wings and going for the Bruins, what gives?

Posts: 57 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oof, that must have hurt. A good warning though. We will make sure that we drink everything before we leave here in about a year's time. Wink

--------------
For those in the Middle East: http://muscatdeli.blogspot.com

Posts: 1518 | Location: Muscat, Oman | Registered: Nov 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, bman. Get down here. I've got more Port than I can ever drink and don't open it ofetn at all. I'm guessing I only opened one bottle of VP in 2012.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinwiddie:
Keith, That will teach you to live that far from Christie's place, or to buy wine in MoCo.

she will certainly say you're right on the first part, and i will certainly say you're right on the second. Wink

but seriously, if you see the beltway as a circle, we literally live on opposite sides of it (she's in del ray neighborhood of alexandria, right by old town). it's basically the same driving time to her place going either direction on 495. absolutely sucks.