WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Shipping alcohol from Canada to USA - anybody done it before?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping alcohol from Canada to USA - anybody done it before?
 Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone shipped wine or beer to the USA from Canada? If so, what is the process like?

If that isn't possible, am I able to ship cross-provinces now? If I can't send to the USA, I might send some alcohol from Alberta to Ontario. Is that an issue anymore with the new laws?

Posts: 216 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jonanator, it's relatively easy to ship south at minimal cost for larger quantities. Are we talking large quantities for auctions?
Personally I have never partaken but I know someone that is in the business if you're interested.

Posts: 1637 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what has happened on the Federal or Provincial level, it is illegal for private individuals to ship wine. However how many of us have, and how many of us have been caught. Probably nobody.
No carrier (ups fedex dhl) will ship wine across the border unless you are a licensed winery, wholesaler or distributor and have a fda registration number or tax id number. Wine is treated as a food item and in order to cross the border a prior notice must be submitted to the FDA. After 9-11 it's become a nightmare

You may wish to take your chance, cross over the border and drop it off at fedex/ups not disclosing the contents.

Posts: 59 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: Oct 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my stupidity and spell this out to me. Is your aim to ship Canadian wine to the US?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a short story about what happened to me ..

a wine & spirits rep sent me a couple of bottles of wine back in october as a thank you gift. i don't know how he shipped it - likely canada post but it never made it to my front door. within the same province too!

the rep re-sent the wine via fedex but the original package? who knows .. pisses me off that someone is enjoying my wine though.

would canada post confiscate it and not tell the sender or receiver?

if you're shipping that rare belgian beer .. make sure you get a tracking number - regardless of the method of shipment you choose.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Please excuse my stupidity and spell this out to me. Is your aim to ship Canadian wine to the US?

LOL

POST OF THE MONTH!

Posts: 15477 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad somebody besides me appreciated it. Banana

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew Board-O would be on this wihtout even scrolling though. Devilish

Posts: 5432 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, planning to ship some beer from Alberta to Ontario.

Thanks for the insight! I will make sure I ship with a tracking number.

Posts: 216 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a similar note, anyone familiar with shipping wine into the UK from the EU? I,ve been in contact with HMRC and am on the hook for duty and storage awaiting customs inspection, but nearly all bottles were purchased in the EU, thus IVA (VAT) has been paid and I should not pay redundantly. Any input?

Posts: 1097 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shipping from Canada to USA might be illegal, depending on the states. In any case it doesn't look optimistic. If you are within driving distance to the border I strongly recommend shipping from the States, plus it's cheaper. Just drive across and mail it. If quantity is beyond 2-3 bottles you probably have to pay a minimal duty. (But its literately pennies compare to bringing it in the opposite direction)

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1438 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shipped plenty of RUM from Toronto to California, but with the understanding that if the "books" I was shipping were lost or confiscated I would have little to no recourse.

UPS much better than Fed Ex

Posts: 229 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bates40: Thanks. That's interesting. I think I might take a chance with UPS.

posted Hide Post
+1 with others' comments. Fedex screws things up from time to time, customer service improves or get things done only after you threaten to complain. Besides, UPS is much more Olive oil friendly.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1438 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't bring liquids on the plane with your carry-on, but you can still bring it in your checked bags, though you just have to remember about weight restrictions and to make sure they're packed well. I just came home from Japan with 3 full-sized bottles of Japanese whiskey tucked into my checked bag without a problem.
Ocala bars are best

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post