WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    When is Top 10 Being Released????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When is Top 10 Being Released????
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm standing by my prediction that Bordeaux lands the top spot.

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee
www.zinfandelchronicles.com

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jul 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Even though there was a St. Cosme Gigondas in the top 10 last year, I wouldn't be shocked if one of them landed a 1-5 spot in this year's list. Huge scores for the whole lineup. I have some of them on order.

Landed at #2

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1693 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
I'd be shocked if I didn't see a 2010 CdP in the top 5.

I'm going to guess Vieux Telegraphe.

Clos des Papes # 4

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1693 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far, I'm thinking last years lineup was more interesting.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6889 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Even though there was a St. Cosme Gigondas in the top 10 last year, I wouldn't be shocked if one of them landed a 1-5 spot in this year's list. Huge scores for the whole lineup. I have some of them on order.

How did you know, you shameless, point-chasing whore? Razz

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6195 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just took my first look on the WS site and the #1 wine isn't showing. Confused Where did you all see this Zin listed.

And fwiw, I'm thrilled that a Zin is #1. Banana

PH

Posts: 15360 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think #1 is out for a few days. I'm not sure, but I think this is a conjectured numero uno.

Don't get me wrong. I like Seghesio zins, I just don't think it would out perform others for WOTY in a blind tasting (based on quality, price, production or other things taken into consideration for this distiction).

Tell you what PH: make a trip to Toronto and we can have a wine or two and discuss this in person. Might even have a zin or two with some northern Rhones and Bordeaux thrown in for good measure. Cool

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5865 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I just took my first look on the WS site and the #1 wine isn't showing. Confused Where did you all see this Zin listed.

And fwiw, I'm thrilled that a Zin is #1. Banana

PH

Im hoping its a Shiraz...but a Zin wouldnt make me sad either PH... Smile

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2792 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I don't think #1 is out for a few days. I'm not sure, but I think this is a conjectured numero uno.

Ah.....from the tone of the posts I thought it was a fait accompli....

Don't get me wrong. I like Seghesio zins....

The last Zin I had was from Seghesio, and it was good. I was eating ribs with BBQ sauce at the time, though. I have a soft spot for Zinfandel, as it was probably my "gateway" red varietal years ago. A soft spot and a preference are two vastly different things at this stage of my life.

Tell you what PH: make a trip to Toronto and we can have a wine or two and discuss this in person. Might even have a zin or two with some northern Rhones and Bordeaux thrown in for good measure. Cool

I really do need to get to Toronto soon. It seems my north of the border excursions have taken me further east these past few trips. When we see each other next, I'm thinking that you don't need to pull out any Zinfandels unless you're really in the mood. Wink I will be unable to reciprocate anyway, as I have exactly zero in my cellar! Now, as far as Rhone and BDX...... Winner

PH

Posts: 15360 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of the #2-6 wines are US wines, and I just can't see a US publication not putting a US wine in the top 5 (last time they did was 2008). So I'm guessing it will be a US wine, perhaps Shafer Relentless - showing some love to Rhone Rangers.

Posts: 149 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's up.

Posts: 1119 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When did Clos de Papes hit $128? That's double whatever I paid last time I bought them.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoBlue2002:
None of the #2-6 wines are US wines, and I just can't see a US publication not putting a US wine in the top 5 (last time they did was 2008). So I'm guessing it will be a US wine, perhaps Shafer Relentless - showing some love to Rhone Rangers.

Wow.

Posts: 1738 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Che Syrah (Petit) Syrah
(add musical accompaniment here)

GoBlue gets the prize!

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to see Shafer get the #1 spot. Not a wine I’m interested at all so I don’t have to worry about a wine I do like getting priced up!

I thought the overall list has better wines to my taste than in previous years, but besides highlighted that Malbec can do really great things at the high-end, I don’t see a lot of “x-factor” type wines on the list. I guess a Rhone Ranger as #1 might be news to the general public, but Shafer is not exactly an undiscovered producer.

Posts: 6596 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Che Syrah (Petit) Syrah
(add musical accompaniment here)

GoBlue gets the prize!

Wine Spectator tends to follow a fairly set pattern for their top wines. I had http://forums.winespectator.co...757031832#9757031832 this post last week stating that the WOTY has been a 95+ pt, 950+ case, $80 or less wine for the last 5 years. Running that screen for this year's group gave 18 wines. 4 of those ended up in the top 5 of 2012. So if you want to turn a quick buck, use that screen for next year :-)
Coincidentally, the only top 10 wine I've tasted and/or own is the Shafer Relentless, which I actually wouldn't buy again. Good, but not my style. I do have a bottle to try in a few years though.

Posts: 149 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GoBlue 2002, you are the Nate Silver of WS.

Posts: 133 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post