WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    When is Top 10 Being Released????
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When is Top 10 Being Released????
 Login/Join 
posted
It's past 10:00 am eastern, and still no release of #6-10! When will they be announced????

Posts: 59 | Location: Royal Palm Beach, FL | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it that time of the year again?

Posts: 1944 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to get excited about this list but at this point I don't really care.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're out there already. Just have to click on them.

I used to get excited and use it as a buying guide. Now that I've developed my own tastes I still look for it but don't do much with it other than see if there's anything I missed or if any of my favorites made the list, becuase they usually get scarce and/or marked up after they do.

Posts: 2299 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most entertaining thing about the top 10 is seeing how fast the number one wine shows up in the buying and selling section at a 300%+ mark-up. Big Grin

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in a training today and I’ve already presented so now I’m in the back of the room catching up on some stuff so I checked out the list for fun.

10. Achaval-Ferrer Finca Bella Vista 2010. I have not had this vintage, but I have enjoyed this wine in the past and I think it’s a good addition to the list. I would buy these wines every year if the price were lower. At the current price tag, I just like other stuff more.

9. Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona BdM 2007. Again, have not had this vintage but I do really enjoy this wine and happy to see it on the list. Like that they picked a Brunello that’s made in a more traditional style.

8. Beringer Cab Knights Valley Reserve 2009 – Never had it so no comment.

7. Shea Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2009 – Never had it so no comment.

6. Leoville Barton 2009 – While never a wine that truly blows me away, it’s always solid and a classic example of good quality Bordeaux in most vintages. Not sure what they sell for now, but they used to be great values as well. Also glad they went with a more old school producer than some new world example of Bordeaux.

Posts: 6515 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh hum.
Roll Eyes

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6352 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I actually have a wine in the top 10 -- the Shea. Damn, now I wish I had bought more than the 1 to fill out a case. Roll Eyes

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2760 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ZzZzZz...

Does this list actually have any relevance?

Posts: 1299 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Wow, I actually have a wine in the top 10 -- the Shea. Damn, now I wish I had bought more than the 1 to fill out a case. Roll Eyes

Bet it will cast a lot more now. Banana

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6352 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing this year? The fact that the bottle silhouettes DON’t match the actual bottle!!! We can’t pretty well guess the last couple anymore…

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2372 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
ZzZzZz...

Does this list actually have any relevance?

Only to the extent that you already have some in your cellar and it helps resolve any post cognitive dissonance, if you were experiencing any to begin with...so likely not.

Posts: 1905 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always underwhelmed by the top 100 wines.

Posts: 1665 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most entertaining thing about the top 10 is seeing how fast the number one wine shows up in the buying and selling section at a 300%+ mark-up.

Hah!!! Last year, a place up in Brea (Two Forty South) had the '09 Kosta Browne "Sonoma" for around $75 per (3 oz.) pour on the Enomatic machine...great deal! LOL

Posts: 1568 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-O-R-I-N-G (insert sleepy head icon here)

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5734 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I was about to join the chorus of folks saying that the top 100 list has long been irrelevant and uninteresting. Then I realized that I did go to the web site at 10 am sharp to see the reveal this morning. Doh!

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1377 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! You and me both.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have none of six through ten. I was offered the regular Beringer Knights Valley 2009 vintage for $15 by the glass price and I passed. It did 91 pts from Laube compared to 94 for the reserve.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any predictions on the top spot. I'm thinking 09 Bordeaux as the last Bordeaux to win was 95 Ducru Beaucaillou.

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee
www.zinfandelchronicles.com

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jul 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though there was a St. Cosme Gigondas in the top 10 last year, I wouldn't be shocked if one of them landed a 1-5 spot in this year's list. Huge scores for the whole lineup. I have some of them on order.

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be shocked if I didn't see a 2010 CdP in the top 5.

I'm going to guess Vieux Telegraphe.

Posts: 1665 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't follow this at all, but I'll be surprised if the Rhone doesn't dominate the top 100.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36844 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I don't follow this at all, but I'll be surprised if the Rhone doesn't dominate the top 100.

Then you should be half surprised already, none made Top 6-10. But there is a still good chance Vieux Telegraphe la Crau, and Donjon might have a shot at the crown. I might have to stock up a few before the price goes berserk.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1443 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont usually see my favorite Cdp producer Pegau make the top ten but with Parker giving the 2009 98+ and the 2010 Reservee 99 pts maybe winespectator will give them some love.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
I dont usually see my favorite Cdp producer Pegau make the top ten but with Parker giving the 2009 98+ and the 2010 Reservee 99 pts maybe winespectator will give them some love.

I'm not sure why you'd want them to, unless you want to pay more for it.

PH

Posts: 15138 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post