WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Amarone drinking windows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amarone drinking windows
 Login/Join 
posted
Wondering if anyone on here has ideas about the best times to drink amarones, and which winemakers make them shorter-haul vs. long cellaring before prime drinking windows.

Any favorites?

Posts: 936 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fcs:
Wondering if anyone on here has ideas about the best times to drink amarones,

February 30th

and which winemakers make them shorter-haul vs. long cellaring before prime drinking windows.

Does it make a difference?

Any favorites?

Surprisingly, no.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37056 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had mixed experience cellaring Amarone. Some that seemed like big wines with a long life ahead were dead at 8 or 10 years. Others age gracefully and evolve into beautiful and mellow bittersweet gems.

Vintage and producer seem to be the factors that determine the ability to age. Bertani (their Classico) is my favorite for longer ageing (10-50 yrs). It is aged in large old style barrels 7 years before release and goes decades. A bottle of 1998 enjoyed recently was still young.

Masi Amarone ages well. This ranges from their basic Costasera (10-15)to their single vineyard Amarone. Their Boscaini Amarone (no longer bottled under the family name, but used for Masi production) also aged well. Last year I tasted.

Quintarelli is the master of Veneto. No doubt his Amarone is built to last.

Vintage is the other factor. When asked the question about which to age vs. drink at a Masi tasting a while back, Masi Chairman Sandro Boscaini told me it was best to cellar the better vintages and drink the others young (within 10 years). Vintages with 4 or 5 stars on the chart Amarone vintage chart would be the 'better' vintages Sandro referred to.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

February 30th

and which winemakers make them shorter-haul vs. long cellaring before prime drinking windows.

Any favorites?

Surprisingly, no.

OK you don't like Amarones, but what the heck is happening Feb 30th?

Posts: 936 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be drinking Amarone! LOL

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37056 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an offline at Board-O's house on Feb 30th. Everyone bring an Amarone!

Now, was that a Friday or a Saturday?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

February 30th

Any favorites?

Surprisingly, no.

Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Posts: 135 | Location: NYC | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post