WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Stragglers In Your Cellar?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stragglers In Your Cellar?
 Login/Join 
posted
Tonight I decided to spend some time working in the cellar. I needed to get ready for all my incoming shipments over the next few weeks. Fun to relive many nights over the past year since I last organized. Plenty of new stuff coming in. Looking forward to all the 2010 CDP, Quivet, Hermitage Blanc, 6 cases of mixed vintage port. And yes...I bit on the Conterno offering.

While shuffling a few things around, I found some lonely stragglers that were hiding. Almost as if they weren't wanting to be opened. I know everyone will say to keep better inventory, but I enjoy the surprise element involved with doing this every year.

Much to my surprise, I found a few gems that I loved in the past

2002 Beringer Brancroft Merlot
2007 Melka Metisse Jumping Goat
1996 Jadot Chambertin

Just curious if anyone else has discovered an unknown bottle in their cellar.

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I stumbled across a 1999 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve that was presumed missing or drunk. It was a nice blast from the past and drank very well.

GG

Posts: 274 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perioically, I find a wine I thought I had opened. Probably stood it up and marked it off, then laid it down again. It's a nice surprise. The converse is not so nice, where I pulled a wine and didn't mark it off, then sometime later go looking for it.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36766 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Perioically, I find a wine I thought I had opened. Probably stood it up and marked it off, then laid it down again. It's a nice surprise. The converse is not so nice, where I pulled a wine and didn't mark it off, then sometime later go looking for it.

Smack

Posts: 913 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
happened with a bottle of 99 Caymus ss. Just forgot all about it.I saw it in the corner of my eye the other night . Originally had 6 now the last one just seems to be in hibernation.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1038 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently found a bottle of Paul & Stefania's 2006 Haut Tubee that I didn't know I had...it was drinking very nicely. Gig, if you need help with the Chambertin you just let me know...I know someone who makes a terrific boeuf bourguignon. Big Grin

Posts: 1575 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have over 200 bottles of stragglers in my cellar right now. A friend of mine is going through divorce and HIDDING all his GOOD wine in my place...lol....

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2071 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:
I have over 200 bottles of stragglers in my cellar right now. A friend of mine is going through divorce and HIDDING all his GOOD wine in my place...lol....

To Whom it may concern,
I represent the law firm of 'Dewey, Cheatum and Howe'. It's been brought to our attention that you are hiding assets from the estate of ?(I must leave blank to protect identity)which is illegal. Our client has informed us of these chat Boards which we have been monitoring. Your admission of guilt is just what we were hoping to find. I would urge that you contact our offices immediately or we will be forced to impound your entire cellar fortwith and without prejudice.
Signed Dewey Partner LLC

Banana LOL

Posts: 2273 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

I've been in both situations. Ditto.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be doing my biennial, hands-on touch every bottle inventory sometime soon. This always yields some surprises. Should be interesting. Will report back.

PH

Posts: 15018 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large Shipment today. Shuffled more things around. I think someone's playing games with me, because I just found 5 more bottles. Nothing like finding a few 85 Ports- Grahams and Fonseca. If I keep this up, I may find some 59 Burgs.

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just completed a complete inventory of my Vintage Keeper 500. This is my "active" cellar, with my other two (Eurocaves) devoted to wines that are long(er) term agers. I'm not expecting much in the way of surprises when I pull the bottles out of these two, but I am feeling like a kid on Christmas morning this evening. Found, and totally forgotten about:

2008 Stefania Crimson Clover Cabernet x 1
2003 Lafaurie-Peyraguey Sauternes(750) x 1 (I don't ever remember getting 750s of this... Confused)
2002 Termes Toro Termes x 1
1998 Ch. Faugeres x 1
2003 Setti Ponti Crognolo x 1
2005 Beringer Bancroft Ranch Merlot x 1
2010 Les Cailloux CdP Blanc x 1
1995 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau (375) x 1
Krug NV (375) x 1

Winner Winner Winner Winner Winner

PH

edit to correct Sauternes vintage....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PurpleHaze,

Posts: 15018 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice "haul," PH! Cool

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you lose a Krug? Smack

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a 375...... Red Face

PH

posted Hide Post
The funny thing is, I'm probably most excited about finding the Crimson Clover. That wine was frikkin' fabulous. The Krug and the VT weren't too dissapointing though..... Cool

PH

posted Hide Post
The cooling unit in my vintage keeper 250 went out last week so i had to take all the wine out and order a new cooling unit. I discovered some port I had forgot about and I just put in the new cooling unit today which is much quieter and less heavy and has no grate that coveres the fan on the back of the unit. I think this one will last alot longer than the nine years the old cooling unit did.

Posts: 9404 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I discovered some port

What port stragglers did you find in your cellar?

fwiw, I got about 5 years out of the compressor in my VK 500, so if you got 9 I'm thinking you did pretty good.

PH

posted Hide Post
I did a complete inventory of my cellar this month and found some things that I didn't have in my inventory list. Also cleaned up my list as far as things I had drank but not marked off. There were no surprises in the latter category. Strangely, all the stragglers were either Italians or Rieslings, so I'm not sure if at some point I deleted a part of both sections. I have no recolletion of purchasing the Nikolaihof. I think they might have come from one of Vino Me's finds. Unfortunately, they probably should have been drank already. Oh well, I'll find out this weekend as I'm taking one of the bottles for a starter for one of my wine clubs. The stragglers were:

2008 Tolaini Tenuta San. Giovanni Valdisanti
1997 Pianpolvere Soprano Barolo Bussia
2001 Paolo Scavino Barolo
1998 S. Carlo Brunello x 2
2008 Nigl Senftenberger Piri Riesling x 2
2008 Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschbeck Spatlese
2001 Nikolaihof Im Weingebirge Riesling x 3

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2714 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 Magnum each of 2005 Monbousquet and Lafon Rochet.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5657 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post