WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    MacPhail Family Winery Pinot Noir Special Offer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacPhail Family Winery Pinot Noir Special Offer
 Login/Join 
posted
Let's see, the last time I was a pimp for Match Vineyards. Well this time it's for MacPhail Family Winery.

http://www.macphailwine.com/

While I was familiar with this producer, I had never really tasted their lineup until last Saturday when my wife and I visited them in Healdsburg. They make an astonishing amount of really great pinot noir and are good people to boot. So, if you like to support small family owned and small case production wineries, like we do, this is definitely one to add to your list.

But, here's the best deal of all: with the MacPhail's permission to post, there's a 15% discount on their wines right now. Not sure how long but it's only for you peeps. So, if you've never tried their wines or always wanted to do so, here's your chance.

My recommendation:

2006 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
2006 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir

are $29 each, but with the discount it's comes out to less than $25 per bottle. So, if you spend $100 you've got 4 bottles of a properly stored 4 year old vintage wine direct from the winery. Seriously this is really a terrific deal.

And if you want to be more adventurous you can do what I did and create an instant vertical by buying the 2005, 2006 and 2007 Pratt Vineyard wines.

If interested DO NOT USE THE SHOPPING CART and instead send an email to kerry at macphailwines.com for your wants and needs. Also, please note that they may not be able to ship to all states depending on where you live and the shipping laws in effect.

Cheers!

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3542 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tanglenet. Since we seem to appreciate a lot of the same Pinot's, I'm going to give them a try.

Posts: 3599 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will not be disappointed. These wines are every bit as good, or better, than many Pinots that generate page after page of posts on these boards. I have been a loyal buyer since the 2004 vintage and have been very pleased. Smoke in their northern vineyard sources means no 2008 wine from certain areas, so now is your chance to help yourselves and the winery by loading up on back vintages. You will love the wine, and they will love the cash flow.

Posts: 1714 | Location: CONNECTICUT | Registered: Oct 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are also fans of MacPhail wines. Everytime we have visited the winery the hospatality has been fantastic. James and his crew do a great job. Have yet to have a wine that we don't like. Check out their Facebook page also, they are very active here.

Posts: 7 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: Oct 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Tanglenet

Your support of the small family wineries is to be admired. They need help and right now. Nice job.

Posts: 1649 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of small family owned wineries, Hawley has a terrific pinot -- the 2007 Oehlman Vineyard -- for $35? that is very pinot like versus syrah like. They have a tasting room in downtown Healdsburg. Link provided:

http://www.hawleywine.com/

Posts: 5160 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had his own namesake stuff, but Sequana wines are OUTSTANDING!

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 752 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Tanglenet's shout out to McPhail. My LWS occasionally stocks their pinots. I have never been dissapointed.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a fan of MacPhail's Pinots for several years, as well as the ones he crafts for Sequana. Here is my note from tonight's wine:

2010 MacPhail Family Winery Pinot Noir, Sangiacomo Vineyard, Sonoma Coast
The color is a nearly transparent light ruby with glints of orange. Barrel aged for 11 months in French oak (50% new), the nose initially shows toast and spice notes. This gives way to pretty, delicate cherry, orange rind, and a note of green tea. It is light, lithe, and distinctly feminine in the mouth. Those that say that Californnia only produces Pinot Noir that looks and tastes like fruit-bomb Syrahs need to give this wine a try. Silky, harmonious, perfectly balanced, and a joy to drink.
MSRP: $49 (November 2012)
Wine Lines rating: 93

For an unfined and unfiltered Pinot, especially from California, it is amazing how much this reminds me of good Burgundy, or perhaps the Eyrie Pinots from a decade or more ago.

Anyhoo, this is my first TN post in five years... Hello to all.

highdesertwine
http://www.winelinesonline.com

Posts: 1712 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: Nov 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about wine price inflation!! The Macphail sonoma avg ws is now $38 and the Hawley $61. Ack Crazy

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1623 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hess bought Macphail last year = price increase.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post