WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Is there an OWC market???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an OWC market???
 Login/Join 
posted
So been trying to clean up some wine "clutter" as the wife puts it, and I have found out that I have a bunch of empty OWC from various places. I don't know if they should be used for the winter fire place, or if there might be a market for selling them...

I fully understand the market is small in value wise, but would hate to just toss if people have found that they could be sold for a few bucks each.

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or success stories?

THX much!

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea..Ive sold many.. The value seems to trend with the wine. Generally first growths and Cali cults are always a hit.
My best sale came from a 1947 Banfi box that I found in my basement full of similar aged magazines from the previous home owner. I think I got around $80 for that. Sold plenty of Opus one 6 pack boxes too. Good vintages always get better prices. Good luck.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1032 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah but now that Rudy is out of business, is there still a market?

$80 for a box? Holy cow.

I'm going to start saving my cardboard boxes. Who knows, if you guys can get $80 for wood, I'll take $15-20 for the cardboard. I'll even take $10, but then the buyer would have to pay for shipping.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2578 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post