WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Question for the Port-heads: Which 1963?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Port-heads: Which 1963?
 Login/Join 
posted
Birth year wine Smile . Any recommendations based on recent experience? The Quinta do Noval Nacional is probably a little rich for my blood. Otherwise, I am wide open. Any reputable on-line retailers that specialize in vintage Port? The internet can be a crapshoot. Thanks in advance.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2823 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you picked a bad year because everyone is doing the same .

steady rise in prices since last year (almost 200-300% in some cases)

a little small house that I like is offley, european wine resource has it at 120$.

Do us both a favor and don't post a note =)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11047 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only had the Warre and Taylor (Fladgate). Preferred the Taylor by a wide margin.

Posts: 2882 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a well stored bottle of the '63 Fonseca. An awesome bottle of port. You may find this at Benchmark Wines in Napa.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4874 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Find a well stored bottle of the '63 Fonseca. An awesome bottle of port. You may find this at Benchmark Wines in Napa.

IW

I will definitely second this

out of all the 63's

the Dows is okay but spirity
the grahams is a bit thin and sweet
the warres is weird and has traces of VA
the noval is living on a reputation of it's larger brother the nacional

the fonseca though is worth the hype but needs some air time, but it's full and lush.

the taylor reminds me of a fine bourbon aged for 50 years with the obvious sweetness.

your taste buds can't go wrong, (but your wallet may cry a little)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11047 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taylor Fladgate is the finest of the '63's I've have the opportunity to taste. Followed closely by Fonseca.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5446 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the Fonseca back in 2003 for $224 from a retailer who got a direct shipment from the winery. Currently selling in the US for anywhere from $340-550.

VM

Posts: 12072 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I will see if I can find. My birthday is not until July, so I am not under a time crunch. Doesn't sound like prices are going to drop. I should have thought about this a few years ago. Smack

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2823 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
Thanks everyone. I will see if I can find. My birthday is not until July, so I am not under a time crunch. Doesn't sound like prices are going to drop. I should have thought about this a few years ago. Smack

or be like me and think of it 20 years in advance ;-)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Agree with Offley..generally good value..Good luck.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1031 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post