Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mondavi 1972
 Login/Join 
posted
My friend has a bottle that his dad gave him but I would like to know if there were "reserve" cabs back then or if he made just one. I can't verify any provenance and its probably way past peak but just curious if this wine has a fighting chance?

Posts: 57 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, in 1972 there was a reserve cabernet. Never had it, so can't say anything to that wine, or frankly the vintage. Post a note in the tasting forums if you and your friend do give it a go.

Posts: 36 | Location: Bethel, CT 06801 | Registered: Nov 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blakeybombs:
just curious if this wine has a fighting chance?

...Only one way to find out!

+1 on posting some TN's on this one.

Posts: 1561 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless magic happened in that bottle, its dead. It never was a good bottle to start with. Off vintages in the 70s were really off vintages

www.budbreak.blogspot.com
www.clonyc.com

Posts: 849 | Registered: Jan 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, '72 was a terrible year in Napa. The only decent wine that I've tasted from that year was Heitz MV. And it was quite nice. And quite the exception. There was a ton of rain during harvest but Joe picked early and made a good wine. Everyone else made light, thin wines.

Posts: 30 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Diamond Creek made a solid wine in 72, which I believe was their first vintage.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red Vino:
I believe was their first vintage.

Volcanic Hill, right?

Posts: 30122 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1972 is my wife's birth year, so I've had quite a few, and been pleasantly surprised.
Stag's Leap, Burgess, and Diamond Creek were excellent. Maybe they got lucky with their first vintage.
The BV GdL, while not great, is pretty solid.
Hanzell managed to put out a really nice pinot.

Posts: 136 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post