WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Anyone ever had vin jaune?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever had vin jaune?
 Login/Join 
posted
This one in particular?

FRUITIÈRE VINICOLE D'ARBOIS VIN JAUNE 2005

I'm intrigued by the description but it ain't cheap.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10639 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FRUITIÈRE VINICOLE D'ARBOIS VIN JAUNE

Of course. In fact, over the past 5 years or so it's become the trendy thing to have. Sort of like Gruner Veltliner about 15 years ago.

I'm not sure that one is imported to the US right now. There have been a few tastings organized by the regional marketing group in attempts to find importers and a number of the producers have actually been picked up, so the wines from the area are easier to find.

The wines are a little pricy to my thinking. Many would have had to be around $40 or so on the shelf. The ones people are curious about are made from Savagnin and they're done in a manner similar to a fino sherry, but they're more expensive than a good fino and not quite as good. The interest is mostly the geek factor rather than the quality of the finished wine IMO. They're not fortified like sherry is so the alc levels are a little lower, but they're still pretty much up there.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2589 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg. If you don't mind, take a look at the link for this specific one - after reading your comments I'm not sure it is great value, but I am intrigued and would try it if I thought I'd like it even a bit.

http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-e...EN&itemNumber=271957

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10639 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried this particular wine but I have had Vin Jaune before and disliked it to such an extent that I couldn't finish the bottle. I used the remainder in a chicken recipe that was indigenous to the region.It tasted like nothing I'd ever had before or since.

Posts: 257 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bman, are you a fan of oxidative wines? Is it okay if they are oxidative and dry? If so then go for it. If not, it should be a major pass for you.

Our group had a Jura Chard done in the same style that is half the price if you wanted to try something similar out.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/l...o?ITEM_NUMBER=286427

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 687 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
The ones people are curious about are made from Savagnin and they're done in a manner similar to a fino sherry, but they're more expensive than a good fino and not quite as good.

Agreed, I much prefer the fino sherries I've tasted.

I echo the comments of the others Bman. Very oxidative, unique, but not to my liking.

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I've had it on a few occasions. I've never felt any urge to purchase it myself, or serve it to anyone I like.

At one particular event the person who brought it spent most of the evening apologizing to everyone for his choice in bottles to bring.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7626 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So bman, I just looked thru some notes from 2010 and I tasted seven of that producer's wines and not a vin jaune. That winery is a co-op of some 120 growers - not a bad thing per se, and they're one of the larger producers in the region, but their wines weren't as good as some. At least to me. Their vin de paille was even a bit harsh.

Juravinum is another co-op but I found their wines overall a bit more elegant.

Better yet were some of the family operations, a few of them quite new. De la Borde for example, was started in 2003 and Daniel Dugois in 1983. Rolet and Desire Petit have been around for 80 and 60 years respectively.

Domaine Bourdy OTOH, is one of the oldest wine growing families in France, dating to the late 1400s.

Most are pretty hard to find. Puffney however, seems to be all over in NYC. I'd try one of those. But frankly, I like the Jura dry wines better for the most part.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2589 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love vin jaune, but just don't drink it enough. actually, tried a '88 Puffeney Vin Jaune on Saturday that was completely thrilling. amazing complexity and nuance to the palate with lots of orchard fruit, roasted nut flavors and spice.

while they aren't cheap as a genre, they're wildly under priced given their quality.

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fascinating world of it's own, either you love it or you hate it.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1869 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post