WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    French Complain About Korbel "Champagne" at Inauguration.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
French Complain About Korbel "Champagne" at Inauguration.
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Article about the sparking wine being opened at Obama's inauguration:

Korbel Natural, Special Inaugural Cuvée Champagne, California

I can understand why they wouldn't want Korbel and Champagne to be used together.

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,
 
Posts: 12289 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
How does one get the job of Director of the Champagne Bureau?
 
Posts: 6469 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
So the "You can't fly over our airspace when you attack Qaddafi" authorities complain. Good! Maybe they ought to save their complaints for what's going on in Paris.


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36847 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:

How does one get the job of Director of the Champagne Bureau?


You just need a really bubbly personality.


___________________________

Cheers!
 
Posts: 8461 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Winner

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:

How does one get the job of Director of the Champagne Bureau?


You just need a really bubbly personality.
 
Posts: 12 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Oct 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
So the "You can't fly over our airspace when you attack Qaddafi" authorities complain. Good! Maybe they ought to save their complaints for what's going on in Paris.


I agree. I also agree that the Chinese should be able to copy Microsoft and other proprietory software and use them for free. Otherwise, we are nit picking. Wink


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6599 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:

How does one get the job of Director of the Champagne Bureau?


You just need a really bubbly personality.


Excellent!

Big Grin
 
Posts: 6469 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes. Only the finest champagne should be served at President Obama's inauguration celebrations, and in my opinion, the Inaugural Committee made the right call."

What?

VM
 
Posts: 12289 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes.VM


LOL LOL LOL

PH
 
Posts: 15162 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes.VM


LOL LOL LOL

PH


PH, never ever underestimate stupidity. Wink
 
Posts: 30148 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes.VM


LOL LOL LOL

PH


PH, never ever underestimate stupidity. Wink


The guy is a Congressman. What do you expect?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But then I repeat myself."
-- Mark Twain


99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.
 
Posts: 7157 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Bedell Merlot from Long Island will also be opened at the inauguration. It appears the Incompetent-In-Chief knows as much about wine as he does about the economy.


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36847 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Bedell Merlot from Long Island will also be opened at the inauguration. It appears the Incompetent-In-Chief knows as much about wine as he does about the economy.


O my fellow win-o no need to be a mens-o! Big Grin
 
Posts: 67 | Location: usa | Registered: Dec 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The Bedell is being opened for Rep. Boehner.


99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.
 
Posts: 7157 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the "You can't fly over our airspace when you attack Qaddafi" authorities complain. Good! Maybe they ought to save their complaints for what's going on in Paris.

LOL

With that champagne, are they going to serve any "domestic swiss" or "parmesan" cheese that's made in Wisconsin?


"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."
 
Posts: 2630 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
So the "You can't fly over our airspace when you attack Qaddafi" authorities complain. Good! Maybe they ought to save their complaints for what's going on in Paris.


I agree. I also agree that the Chinese should be able to copy Microsoft and other proprietory software and use them for free. Otherwise, we are nit picking. Wink


LOL
well said mimik!
 
Posts: 1137 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes. Only the finest champagne should be served at President Obama's inauguration celebrations, and in my opinion, the Inaugural Committee made the right call."


I'm guessing this guy drinks a lot of "Scotch" from a plastic bottle.

Having recently forced some Korbel upon some friends during a blind bubbly tasting, I think I can say that the French shouldn't only be complaining about this, everyone at the inauguration who has to taste this should be complaining as well!


**********************

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.
 
Posts: 393 | Location: Carlsbad, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Think "bottle Shock" will not apply, unless the folks get shocked out of their shorts.

Also: French Onion soup with GA onions.
Escargot for Mississippi
Ice Wine from WS
Cognac from Chicago


Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!
 
Posts: 6357 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Think "bottle Shock" will not apply, unless the folks get shocked out of their shorts.

Also: French Onion soup with GA onions.
Escargot for Mississippi
Ice Wine from WS
Cognac from Chicago


how about eiswine from canada?


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12153 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
Think "bottle Shock" will not apply, unless the folks get shocked out of their shorts.

Also: French Onion soup with GA onions.
Escargot for Mississippi
Ice Wine from WS
Cognac from Chicago


how about eiswine from canada?


they are not part of the US yet. LOL


Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!
 
Posts: 6357 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Of all the Korbel sparklers, "Natural" is the best. It's on the sweet side of things for me now but use to drink this by the case in the 70's and 80's before I could afford Champagne. My wife and I bought a bottle of Natural around New Years this year to see how it tasted since we haven't had it in 20 plus years. I'll stick with vintage Champagne.
 
Posts: 1136 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
According to California Rep. Jared Huffman, whose district includes Korbel:

"With all due respect to the fame and heritage of French wine, this smells like sour grapes from the French about the superiority of our California champagnes. Only the finest champagne should be served at President Obama's inauguration celebrations, and in my opinion, the Inaugural Committee made the right call."

What?

VM


I think in legal terms that is called "puffing."
 
Posts: 6469 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
Of all the Korbel sparklers, "Natural" is the best. It's on the sweet side of things for me now but use to drink this by the case in the 70's and 80's before I could afford Champagne. My wife and I bought a bottle of Natural around New Years this year to see how it tasted since we haven't had it in 20 plus years. I'll stick with vintage Champagne.

Too bad you didn't invest all that money you spent on Korbel in the 70's and 80's on IBM stock. Wink


99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.
 
Posts: 7157 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I get their point but it's also a great way to spark up some discussion in the post-holiday period when people aren't drinking a lot of Champagne from anywhere.

It doesn't matter all that much to most Americans who will continue to call any sparkling wine "champagne". Miller used to be the "Champagne of bottled beer" back in the 1960s.

Nor is it quite the same as ripping off Microsoft - that's a single company and a single product. It would be akin to calling the Chinese product "software from Redmond", which could be pretty much anything, just like Champagne could be pretty much anything from the region.

More importantly however, I'm wondering how far we're going to take this.

We're already happy with our "freedom fries" and I suspect the guy who coined that term had an IQ right about on par with the rep quoted above. But surely it was done to appease the sensitivities of our allies.

What about "French kiss"? Must that be re-christened? And I don't even want to go there, but what about "French" as a verb?


"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."
 
Posts: 2630 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
Of all the Korbel sparklers, "Natural" is the best. It's on the sweet side of things for me now but use to drink this by the case in the 70's and 80's before I could afford Champagne. My wife and I bought a bottle of Natural around New Years this year to see how it tasted since we haven't had it in 20 plus years. I'll stick with vintage Champagne.

Too bad you didn't invest all that money you spent on Korbel in the 70's and 80's on IBM stock. Wink


Yes your right, it was a lot of cases but back then, Natural was $6.99 a bottle.
 
Posts: 1136 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    French Complain About Korbel "Champagne" at Inauguration.

© Wine Spectator 2013