WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    February 2013 Classics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
February 2013 Classics
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
Nothing really on my radar this round which is great considering I'm still recovering from the October Classics Ack

Enjoy gentlemen
 
Posts: 81 | Registered: Jan 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
What a difference a little criticism can make! Last October's catalogue was 80MBs, while the February catalogue downloads in 1.9MBs.

Pictures aren't as rich and crisp, but I'm not downloading artwork. OTOH, I do find the text a bit fuzzy, enough that it hurts my eyes after a little while. Maybe there's somewhere in between that would be better than either extreme.
 
Posts: 4968 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe there's somewhere in between that would be better than either extreme.


100% agree. It's an improvement for sure, but they went a touch on the extreme the other way.

I'm on the sidelines for sure, just got my 2009 Bdx Futures invoice which I kind of totally forgot about. The wife called me and said "I thought you said you stopped buying wine? You have a $10k invoice from LCBO". Eek I tried to explain to her that was purchased 2 years ago but she wouldn't have any of it (insert in the doghouse emoticon here)
 
Posts: 2241 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
this is pretty much a pass for me as well....
 
Posts: 1078 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Some of the Malbec looks interesting.
 
Posts: 552 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'll probably do the Chapoutier Shiraz from Aussie Land and the South African red looks interesting. Special club Champagne is always a good thing to look at as well.


In Canada? Really? Duties in?
 
Posts: 1977 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of the Rhones look interesting and I'm a huge fan of Hebrart, so I'll be requesting some of his Special Club, but this is mostly a pass for me too thank God. I love that the LCBO continues to try to peddle its obscenely overpriced '08 Bordeaux too.


Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.
 
Posts: 2256 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
+1 on the sick pricing of the 08 Bordeaux. Just wait for bin ends on those - or go south.

A few things interest though: 2010 Burgs, Zind H Pinot Gris (thoughts OTW?), Delas Cornas & Condrieu, some of the 07 Barolos.
 
Posts: 1577 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
after opening an '04 le cedre this summer and being pleasantly surprised, then wondering why i didnt buy more at the time, the '09 is tempting. It takes a lot of time to sort itself out though. Probably also in on the hebrart.
 
Posts: 1224 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My wife really likes this Classics catalogue.
 
Posts: 4968 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
+1 on the sick pricing of the 08 Bordeaux. Just wait for bin ends on those - or go south.


Wish you're right but there are enough people with money to turn over the inventory and shelves are bare. The latest bin ends are a joke. I saw a wine that was like $49.95 on sale for $47.95. Business is good.
 
Posts: 1235 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
+1 on the sick pricing of the 08 Bordeaux. Just wait for bin ends on those - or go south.


Wish you're right but there are enough people with money to turn over the inventory and shelves are bare. The latest bin ends are a joke. I saw a wine that was like $49.95 on sale for $47.95. Business is good.

\

I hear you Stevey. Although good bin ends are few and far between, and the online bin ends are a joke, there have been some good ones:

Last year:
2007 Saffredi $75
1994 Warre's $75
2008 Sequin, Pessac Leognan $25

Thanks to Vijay and OTW for posting on the LCBO Price Alert Thread.

More recently the 2009 Galevan CDP $27.65, originally $41.95 (second price reduction).

Happy hunting.
 
Posts: 1577 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
+1 on the sick pricing of the 08 Bordeaux. Just wait for bin ends on those - or go south.


Wish you're right but there are enough people with money to turn over the inventory and shelves are bare. The latest bin ends are a joke. I saw a wine that was like $49.95 on sale for $47.95. Business is good.

\

I hear you Stevey. Although good bin ends are few and far between, and the online bin ends are a joke, there have been some good ones:

Last year:
2007 Saffredi $75
1994 Warre's $75
2008 Sequin, Pessac Leognan $25

Thanks to Vijay and OTW for posting on the LCBO Price Alert Thread.

More recently the 2009 Galevan CDP $27.65, originally $41.95 (second price reduction).

Happy hunting.


FYI: The LCBO site shows the Galevan at $34.50. Perhaps the price you cited is a store only reduction.
 
Posts: 552 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:

I hear you Stevey. Although good bin ends are few and far between, and the online bin ends are a joke, there have been some good ones:

Last year:
2007 Saffredi $75
1994 Warre's $75
2008 Sequin, Pessac Leognan $25

Thanks to Vijay and OTW for posting on the LCBO Price Alert Thread.

More recently the 2009 Galevan CDP $27.65, originally $41.95 (second price reduction).

Happy hunting.


Darn, missed the Warre's. I was away for a while and come back and popped into Summerhill to see bare shelves. Looks like Ontarians gave LCBO a good Christmas present.

On topic, this is probably one of the most uninteresting Classics catelogue in a while.
 
Posts: 1235 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....

I might bite on a few things here:

Some of the Southern Rhones
Sea Smoke
Snowden Cab
Dunn

The South African red is intriguing (Morgenster Estate 2005) but very limited quantities, sadly.
 
Posts: 170 | Location: SW Ontario | Registered: Oct 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
My wife really likes this Classics catalogue.

My wife and my accountant are going to think I am impersonating a reformed alcoholic when the order goes in. LOL
 
Posts: 4968 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
no 2006 Biondi Santi Tenuta Greppo Risera BDM for $685?? Eek Eek
 
Posts: 1436 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
[\
More recently the 2009 Galevan CDP $27.65, originally $41.95 (second price reduction).

Happy hunting.[/QUOTE]



FYI: The LCBO site shows the Galevan at $34.50. Perhaps the price you cited is a store only reduction.[/QUOTE]

It could be a store markdown. However, the PC told me he marked down quite a few, which indicates either a list somewhere, or them reaching eligibility for markdown. You can always ask, citing the other store(s).

Back onto the thread.... Yes it is boring compared to the fall, but isn't fall traditionally the time for the big guns?
 
Posts: 1577 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
no 2006 Biondi Santi Tenuta Greppo Risera BDM for $685?? Eek Eek

You can get it for $460 (plus a little tax) at JJ Buckley in Oakland. Banana

...but you'd have to be more than a little crazy...
 
Posts: 4968 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hard copies are in stores, if anyone would prefer that to scrolling.
 
Posts: 1577 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Hard copies are in stores, if anyone would prefer that to scrolling.

I've got several copies in my blue bin if that's easier.
 
Posts: 4968 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Hard copies are in stores, if anyone would prefer that to scrolling.

I've got several copies in my blue bin if that's easier.


LOL
 
Posts: 1577 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Allocations apparently are done. I have a payment waiting to be made in VSO (of course before I actually find out what I've been allocated).


Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.
 
Posts: 2256 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy to figure out what I got since there seem to be relatively few sellouts. I missed getting the 08 Leoville Poyferre (they only had 20 btls) and the 2010 Bellene Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St Jacques (my daughter got this for me - a good reason to have kids).

I'm mildly surprised that the Hommage a Jacques Perrin didn't sell out given the differential vs the going US price.
 
Posts: 4968 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Pretty easy to figure out what I got since there seem to be relatively few sellouts. I missed getting the 08 Leoville Poyferre (they only had 20 btls) and the 2010 Bellene Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St Jacques (my daughter got this for me - a good reason to have kids).

I'm mildly surprised that the Hommage a Jacques Perrin didn't sell out given the differential vs the going US price.


I asked, but didn't get any Hommage 2010 at all...


wine+time+friends=wonderful world
 
Posts: 188 | Registered: Mar 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    February 2013 Classics

© Wine Spectator 2013