WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Paging all Aldo Conterno Fans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging all Aldo Conterno Fans
 Login/Join 
posted
There is a a pre-arrival sale at KL, perhaps a tribute to the late Aldo Conterno?
You will find various 2000-2007 Barolo at half price.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1443 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard conflicting stories as to where the wines are coming from.

Importer close out? Or Winery closeout?

Nevertheless, K&L is a great store and the prices are great.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 750 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told it was an importer/distributor change and the old one is dumping. That change may or may not be related to his passing, but it's not a tribute sale.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2626 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was offered lots of stock about 2 years ago at decent prices. Not like this though, but I assume it is the same importer dumping stock and the wine is presumably in California, where they are based.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 750 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the puzzling thing. I called K&L and they told me yes, it's about a change in distribution but the wine's in Italy and will be shipped in the fall. I don't get the logic - why would a local importer would be dumping wine that's still in Italy? But those CA stores do direct imports so maybe they were able to take advantage of the change in relationships somehow.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2626 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Will K & L store wine until the fall shipping season?

Posts: 1905 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will hold upon request.

GG

Posts: 275 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifey bought some. I couldn't stop her.

Posts: 1668 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GalvezGuy:
They will hold upon request.

Thanks GalvezGuy

Posts: 1905 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg

So strange.

Maybe they paid for the wine, as an importer and held the goods there?

I emailed a huge supplier of Italian wines, based in Italy, and he said that that there was no dumping over there, so it is definitely a US thing.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-

posted Hide Post
Don't know but both Woodland and K+L seem to have grabbed the exact same deal because they both know what the other has and what the prices are - they're w/in a couple of bucks of each other or identical. And the wines are coming in October, so who knows?

I'm kind of curious tho because usually on something like that, it gets picked up by others pretty fast and so far, nada. Someone sent me a note saying Rimmerman was trying to work some kind of deal too but I have no clue about that.

posted Hide Post
I should know more after tomorrow evening. I have dinner with Olivier Humbrecht and his importer, who is/was the importer for Conterno.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-

posted Hide Post
Cool. Let us know if he sheds any light.

posted Hide Post
FWIW, here's a note from Italian Wine Merchants. Sour grapes? Who knows.

" "A week after the death of Barolo legend Aldo Conterno, a vindictive European broker flooded the market with Conterno's wines at simply unbelievable prices; he wanted to bury the Conterno brand along with Aldo. Essentially, the broker chose to use Conterno's death as a springboard to jettison all the wines he had in storage in as a retaliation to the estate's firing him months earlier. I was more or less the first person this broker contacted and could have bought the entire collection. I must admit that the prices were so tempting that I was compelled to think twice before turning down the offer. However, I had no other choice; I'd tasted various wines from this broker's cellar in the last couple of years and had come to the conclusion that there were big problems with the way he cared for his wines. I had stopped purchasing from him because many bottles showed storage issues--there were wines damaged by heat, wines damaged by exposure to the elements --and I couldn't in good conscience bring my clients those bottles, no matter how tempting the prices."

posted Hide Post
Sorry, Greg, been busy with all sorts of stuff.

So, I brought up Conterno at dinner. The Sorting Table had dropped them about 2 years ago and this was not their inventory.

But they told me about the Italian broker, who repped the wine all over the world for COnterno and how dishonest he was. He would undercut people. sell to other people's clients, etcetcetc. Made it impossible for anyone to do business which would explain why no other importer has picked up COnterno in 2 years in the US.

Also probably explains why the guy was fired. And he had lots of inventory, and he is dumping it.

I have no idea if the wine is well stored. I would assume that Sergio's email is a bit off track. These wines are expensive. No one would want to cook them, except Southern Wines & Spirits!

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-

posted Hide Post
quote:
No one would want to cook them, except Southern Wines & Spirits!

LOL

posted Hide Post
So we're unsure of provenance? I would hope the two retailers that picked this up would guarantee to their customers....time will tell....but with provenance themain issue, I passed.

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Heard a couple days ago from someone who spoke to a couple wineries with the same broker. Provenance wasn't a problem and supposedly some of the wines are actually coming from the winery anyhow. The broker is POd because the family got rid of him so he's dumping. Standard procedure. FWIW, the guy who told me has plenty of Italian wine, property in Piedmont, and still couldn't pass up the deal himself.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info GregT.

Having already paid retail for some of these wines, it would be nice to dollar cost average down a bit.

But deals like this seem too far and few between to not raise the caution flag.

I'm thinking I need to chop my flag down.

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from K&L. Seems they are trying to resolve any conflick that may have occurred from their competitors.

"It’s been a little over a month since we first introduced the Aldo Conterno offering of older vintages and extreme savings. As we mentioned at the time, and still believe today, this is easily the finest opportunity we’ve ever encountered in terms of picking up tremendous Barolo at a massively reduced prices. The response from our customers has been overwhelming, making it the biggest Italian email we’ve ever done. Unfortunately, however, it was not so sweet for one of our competitors, who got shut out from the offering and decided to take out his frustrations by badmouthing the supplier we’re working with on this deal. Sour grapes! Despite obtaining some leaked correspondence where this character tries to get us cut off (our prices were too low and “ruining the market”), we decided the best move would be to send our Italian wine buyer Greg St. Clair back to Italy to visit the warehouse and sample the Conterno wines randomly. He was very happy to oblige, having already visited this temperature controlled facility many times and tasting these same wines on several occasions over the years. Long story short, Greg found the wines to be exceptional (again), and we continue to press forward with the greatest Barolo buying opportunity in our 36-year history."

posted Hide Post
I never doubted K&L on the story of cooked wines here.

GLad it is working out.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-

posted Hide Post
Bought about 2 cases from K&L.

So far I've opened a 2000 Granbussia, and a 2005 Romirasco.

Definitely not cooked. Granbussia is almost ready for primetime. If you have the Romirasco, just hide it and forget about it for many years.

posted Hide Post
I, too, bought from this offering. K&L is a top-notch operation, so nothing to worry about there.

I doubt I'll touch any of these wines for a few years (although I may open one of my '04 Romirascos sometime in the next couple years, on the strength of some glowing CT reviews from people who I trust).

Posts: 1864 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post