WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    November 2012: what are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

November 2012: what are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I may have gotten the magnum buy of the previous century. 2 cases of magnums of 1962 Chateau Gruaud-Larose, one of my all time top ten wines. $36 apiece after 20% case discount.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I may have gotten the magnum buy of the previous century. 2 cases of magnums of 1962 Chateau Gruaud-Larose, one of my all time top ten wines. $36 apiece after 20% case discount.

Bow

Eek

PH

Posts: 14644 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought them in 1978, so you'd expect the price to be lower. I had that wine 13 times from magnum and about 20 times from 750s. I was very sorry to see that last magnum go.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought them in 1978, so you'd expect the price to be lower. I had that wine 13 times from magnum and about 20 times from 750s. I was very sorry to see that last magnum go.

I didn't figure these were recent purchases. If you'd gotten them recently I'd have assumed you were hitting the bin-end sale at Binny's with Vino Me!! LOL

In 1978, my disposable alcohol budget was allocated to much less worthy purchases. Frown I know we've kicked this around a bit, but I can still recall my very first wine purchase at a restaurant. I had a date with an incredible young woman and was determined to prove my sophistication. Mateus Rose!!! WTF, it worked.....

PH

Posts: 14644 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was Lancers!

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine was Lancers!

You hipster, you. I'm amazed that both brands has survived and are still available. Under $6 a bottle too! Surprisingly, I've not been tempted to give one a run. Now if my date from that evening decided she wanted to go out to dinner and revisit 35 year old adventures, I'd get one to BYO in a heartbeat..... Winner

posted Hide Post
When my wife's father died, someone sent us a gift basket. In it was a bottle of Lancers. I put it in the refrigerator and we drank it a month or so later, and then looked at each other in amazement that we could have ever thought it was good. It is undrinkable.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
When my wife's father died, someone sent us a gift basket. In it was a bottle of Lancers. I put it in the refrigerator and we drank it a month or so later, and then looked at each other in amazement that we could have ever thought it was good. It is undrinkable.

I have had similar experiences. You really can't go home again.

Posts: 560 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:

You really can't go home again.

Why, thank you Mr. Wolfe. Wink

Posts: 29545 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PH & Board-O, you were both BIG spenders. I'm not about to share with you what I was buying. Razz

Posts: 29545 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hayes:
quote:

Hey, I never claimed it was an original thought!

You really can't go home again.

Why, thank you Mr. Wolfe. Wink

Posts: 560 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
PH & Board-O, you were both BIG spenders. I'm not about to share with you what I was buying. Razz

Oh, come on, we bared our souls! Just please don't say white zin!

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Gallo Hearty Burgundy??

I actually liked that stuff too.

PH

posted Hide Post
In the immortal words of Fred Sanford (Redd Foxx) Champagne and Ripple or "Champipple". BTW, his real name was John Elroy Sanford.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Virginia | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:

2001 Il Carbonaione

How was it, BRO? PH and I have a few magnums of this sleeping.

That may have been the magnum buy of the century, w+a. Those bottles were priced below 750s at the time. Winner

PH

Yup. Thanks for snagging me a couple. Smile

Posts: 10694 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking back, I wish I'd gotten more..... Have you cracked a mag yet?

PH

posted Hide Post
No, not yet. I opened a 750mL last year and thought that while drinkable, it could still improve. As a result, the mags are still buried.

Posts: 10694 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone just gave me a gift of Mateus Rose. I didn't know they still made it Smack

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 655 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post