WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    November 2012: what are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

November 2012: what are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
06 Jaboulet crozes-hermitage

Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006 Chappellet, Cabernet Sauvignon, Signature
2009 S.A. Huet, Vouvray, Le Haut-Lieu, Demi-Sec

Both outstanding.

Posts: 10116 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
2006 Chappellet, Cabernet Sauvignon, Signature

Please share your drinking window on this wine, Steve.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6116 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
04 Ladera Cab Lone Canyon Vineyard. I was very happy with it.

Posts: 140 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1998 d'Arenberg Ironstone Pressings
2003 Yalumba The Menzies Cabernet Sauvignon

The 98 Ironstone Pressings is by far the best vintage of this wine. Chester Osborn should have stopped with this one.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1977 Dow's Vintage Port (1st bottle was oxidized, a quick run to the cellar fixed that problem)
2004 Margaux Pavillon Blanc
2010 Domaine Trevallon Blanc
2009 Dierberg Santa Rita Hills Pinot
2009 Staglin Estate Cab
2009 Melka Metisse Jumping Goat
2006 Vinoce
2002 Ramey Jericho Canyon

We had a great Saturday night

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight with our double blind group (we hosted, therefore knew the theme & order):

N.V. Michel Arnould & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve (Nonblind warm up)
Double blind wines (to the group):
1998 Robert Mondavi Winery Fumé Blanc To-Kalon I Block
2010 Peter Michael Coeur a Coeur
Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon reserve vertical: 1987, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995 and 1997, along with the 1996 Anniversary Reserve. Guesses ranged from a St. Emilion horizontal to left bank vs right bank mix, to CA vs Bordeaux mix.

Nonblind with dinner (boeuf bourguignon and individual chocolate soufflés):
1986 Mondavi Reserve
1990 Cos d'Estournel
1991 Laurel Glen
1995 Chateau Palmer
2009 Gerard Bertrand La Forge
1986 Chateau Guiraud
Remnants of the 1997 Graham's Vintage port.

My favorites tonight were the 1987 Mondavi, 1991 Laurel Glen, 1995 Palmer and 1986 Guiraud. The 1998 Mondavi I Block was also really cool...reminiscent of a Kalin.

Coincidentally, the latest Kalin offer was emailed tonight too....'99 Semillon, '95 Chard and '99 Pinot Noir. Will grab every bottle of Semillon Terry allows me to, and round out with the Chard & Pinot. If anyone is interested in my extra (tbd, shipping at your cost, etc.) shoot me an email at c weishaar at sbc global dot net (omit spaces, etc).

Posts: 1600 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night in London with Birdungy and 2 others. Quite a night. All wines showed well with the Potel, Latour, and the Leoville exceptional.

2005 Potel Corton Charlemagne
2007 Coche-Dury Bourgogne
1959 Pichon Baron
1970 Latour
1979 Mouton Rothschild
1982 Leoville Poyferre
1983 Trontanoy

Posts: 2188 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
Last night in London with Birdungy and 2 others. Quite a night. All wines showed well with the Potel, Latour, and the Leoville exceptional.

2005 Potel Corton Charlemagne
2007 Coche-Dury Bourgogne
1959 Pichon Baron
1970 Latour
1979 Mouton Rothschild
1982 Leoville Poyferre
1983 Trontanoy
Very nice. Where did you dine?

Posts: 6512 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ledbury. You know it well. I had the Mackeral first course and the roast pigeon breast and leg confit.

Posts: 2188 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
Also had a 2005 Giorgio Pelissero Langhe Long Now tonight with Dave Canada.

How was the 05 Langhe Long Now? This one caught my eye a couple of times in classics but I haven't tried one.

The last bottle we had was much better than this one...The nose was very nice, but the palate was a little thin and a touch astringent, in my opinion. Over the course of the bottle, it gained a bit of depth, but still fell short.

Posts: 1299 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
quote:
quote:

How was the 05 Langhe Long Now? This one caught my eye a couple of times in classics but I haven't tried one.

The last bottle we had was much better than this one...The nose was very nice, but the palate was a little thin and a touch astringent, in my opinion. Over the course of the bottle, it gained a bit of depth, but still fell short.

Thanks AML, what would you attribute the variance to? Bottle variation? Other? Is this a wine you would buy having tasted if it was available again?

Posts: 1905 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks AML, what would you attribute the variance to? Bottle variation? Other? Is this a wine you would buy having tasted if it was available again?

I know Dave has had some issues with heavy staining up the cork, so ill fitting corks, or temperature related damage could potentially be the cause. Personally, I would not buy the wine based on the last showing at current market prices.

Posts: 1299 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know Dave has had some issues with heavy staining up the cork, so ill fitting corks, or temperature related damage could potentially be the cause. Personally, I would not buy the wine based on the last showing at current market prices.

There have been some issues of bottle variation for sure.....I drank about a case of the 2000 and it was the same.....I was as high as 98 and as low as 89 but every bottle of those aside from the one 89pt bottle was 93pts or higher.
The 2005 has certainly been up and down but for me.....at $45...it is a wine that I would buy given its a profile and chance to be a classic wine. I am certainly being a touch optimistic on the 05 as I have never been higher than 93 but we will see. I have 8 more so am happy to follow them.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Coincidentally, the latest Kalin offer was emailed tonight too....'99 Semillon, '95 Chard and '99 Pinot Noir. Will grab every bottle of Semillon Terry allows me to, and round out with the Chard & Pinot. If anyone is interested in my extra (tbd, shipping at your cost, etc.) shoot me an email at c weishaar at sbc global dot net (omit spaces, etc).

Allred, let me know if you can order extra Semillon. I loved the '96 that you opened last week.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

There have been some issues of bottle variation for sure.....I drank about a case of the 2000 and it was the same.....I was as high as 98 and as low as 89 but every bottle of those aside from the one 89pt bottle was 93pts or higher.
The 2005 has certainly been up and down but for me.....at $45...it is a wine that I would buy given its a profile and chance to be a classic wine. I am certainly being a touch optimistic on the 05 as I have never been higher than 93 but we will see. I have 8 more so am happy to follow them.

Thanks Dave, AML!

Posts: 1905 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Roar Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard

Posts: 3665 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Anne-Sophie Debavelaere Les Cailloux Rully
2001 Gamba Old Vines Zinfandel

Posts: 941 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Emilio Moro

Posts: 1671 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Il Carbonaione. Unreal nose. Dense, dark. Should be fun to follow over the next few hours. Cool

PH

Posts: 15137 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Il pino

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12133 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Montepeloso Eneo Toscana IGT - paired nicely with a smallish ribeye and the last of the kids Halloween candy.

Posts: 3157 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
2007 Montepeloso Eneo Toscana IGT - paired nicely with a smallish ribeye and the last of the kids Halloween candy.

More than ready now or could it benefit from some sleeping time?

Posts: 582 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last bottle of 2006 Pierre Gaillard Clos de Cuminaille St-Joseph. What a good Syrah. Still have plenty of life ahead of it, but so good...

dzitt

Posts: 882 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Melville Syrah Verna's Vineyard Santa Barbara County.

Posts: 9442 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post