WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    November 2012: what are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

November 2012: what are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Cheated on the diet a little this afternoon, which calls for no alcohol, with a 2008 Chateau Puy-Blanquet St. Emilion Grand Cru.

Whoops... Wink

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1963 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Domaine Gille Les Brûlées Nuits-Saint-Georges 2008

Posts: 2889 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lisini Brunello 2003

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinner at home with a few friend:

1996 Dom perignon
1990 beaucastel
1990 angelus
1986 las cases

Posts: 1304 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Bodegas Avanthia Godello Valdeorras. First time I can remember having this varietal, but I love it.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Andrew Will Champoux

In the United States, anyone can be President. That's the problem!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2004 Ornellaia Le Serre Nuove
2003 Petrolo Galatrona

Don't care what the critics say, the LSN was better. The Galatrona was great, but the wine from Ornellaia was awesome.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
01 Ridge Home ranch
04 Genium Priorat
feuillatte Brut

Posts: 6022 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NV Jacques Selosse Lieux Dits Mesnil Les Carelles Extra Brut

1990 Grand Puy Lacoste

Posts: 30237 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Vieux Donjon Chateauneuf - don't open yet, it is way too young, there is not much pleasure to be had from it at the moment.

Posts: 1003 | Location: Montreal, Qc | Registered: Dec 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2010 The Chocolate Block

Posts: 15602 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
2010 The Chocolate Block

I'm not sure you have ever posted a wine that I have never heard of.

Posts: 30237 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night @ Bari restaurant in Memphis with LaTour67, Max, BHVineyard, Vette, Vette Jr. and Blytheville Doc. We had lots (too many says my head) of wonderful mostly Italian wines.
I brought a 1999 Fanti(Tenuta San Filippo) Brunello di Montalcino.

Posts: 3687 | Location: Germantown TN | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night, a wonderful 2005 Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Reserve Vieille Vignes, Domaine Roger Perrin

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36967 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
2010 The Chocolate Block

Made in: Western Cape, South Africa by Boekenhoutskloof, The Chocolate Block is a blend of Syrah (69%); Grenache Noir (14%); Cabernet Sauvignon (11%); Cinsault (5%) and Viognier (1%).

Very pleasant though not quite sure that this would be up your alley, w+a.

Posts: 15602 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Round Pond Cabernet Sauvignon and a Favia Syrah from Amador - cannot recall the vintage. Both were excellent.

DanTheRhoneFan and I met EB Wine and his brother-in-law for some beers yesterday. We walked/jogged to a nearby taco/burrito joint for lunch during a November t-storm. After lunch, EB graciously invited us into his home a few blocks away where we met his very nice family. He then opened the above-mentioned wines. Quite a generous gesture, especially given the fact that we had known each other only for a few hours. Hopefully he doesn't mind me posting about this, but I felt the hospitality was worth mentioning. Great guy. What a fun afternoon, even walking down Armitage Ave. in the rain! Smile

Posts: 5516 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pleasure, Bill- nice to meet you both! The Favia was a 2009...we killed it young.

Hope to connect with the Chicago crew soon.

Posts: 892 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
2010 The Chocolate Block

Made in: Western Cape, South Africa by Boekenhoutskloof, The Chocolate Block is a blend of Syrah (69%); Grenache Noir (14%); Cabernet Sauvignon (11%); Cinsault (5%) and Viognier (1%).

Just "pleasant"? Is it ready to go now or would it benefit from waiting a few years?

Posts: 583 | Location: Prescott, Ontario | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
2010 The Chocolate Block

HA! You can me to that list w+a. PURPLE and I had this while we were in South Africa. Cool

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13623 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
Last night @ Bari restaurant in Memphis with LaTour67, Max, BHVineyard, Vette, Vette Jr. and Blytheville Doc. We had lots (too many says my head) of wonderful mostly Italian wines.
I brought a 1999 Fanti(Tenuta San Filippo) Brunello di Montalcino.
Yes, great night of wines and conversation. Lots of fun. I can't remember all the wines but here is what I do.

2006 Peter Michael Chardonnay (vineyard?). I felt the heat was coming through a bit much for my taste, but still a nice starter.

1992 Domaine Aux Moines Savennieres-Roche aux Moines: I brought this wine after taking a peak at Bari's cheese menu before leaving the house. I felt it would be a good match with some of the goat cheeses Bari had to offer. I thought maybe this wine would be a bit tired, but I was wrong. This bone dry Chenin Blanc from Loire picked up some weight as it opened in the glass and got closer to room temperature. The nuttiness and acidity paired well with the cheese course.

1985 Mascarello Barolo Alba: I brought this wine as well even though I was scolded by Vette at the restaurant for bringing 2 bottles Smile This bottle was in pristine condition with the cork being saturated only 1/4" up. A bit maderized on the nose but eventually blew off. Seemed a little tired on the palate at first but opened up to be a lively traditionally made barolo. My WOTN even though I don't like voting for my own wine but this bottle just suited my palate the most.

1990 Gaja (Costa Russi?)It was very interesting to try this bottle after the 1985 Mascarello. There is a distinct difference in the wine making techniques with the Gaja being made in a more modern style. This bottle was decanted roughly an hour or so at the restaurant and could have used more. Just a baby to me but still manages to keep the velvety tannins in check. Great wine and hope to try it again in 10 years.

1999 Fanti Brunello di Montalcino: I can't remember how long Shaferguy91 said he decanted this wine for but it did this bottle some good. This bottle seemed to be just entering it's prime time drinking window with an ample amount of dark fruits finely balanced out with just the right amount of acidity. Tannins seem to be just starting to reside letting the fruit take center stage. This wine got several WOTN honors.

2001 Oreno: This wine was drinking perfectly last night. Vette brought this bottle and I'm certain he decanted it, I just don't know for how long. This bottle was at peak and I don't think there is any room for improvement. On the nose it very much resembled a mature bordeaux with a bit of herbal overtones. The palate showed vibrant fruit, velvety tannin and just enough acidity to show it's regional character. The Sangiovese in this bordeaux blend plays a supporting role without dominating in any way. Great wine and my #2 wine of the evening.

2006 Almaviva: Brought by BHVineyard. This wine was served blind without being decanted. I would have like to have spent more time with this wine to see how much it changed. The nose was a bit muted with a bit of a green streak. The palate seemed a bit closed only giving off a hint of the cabernet fruit. After a few minutes in the glass it starts to open up a bit more but still seemed to have herbal overtones that was distracting to me. I guessed a bordeaux blend from a cooler climate with South America being my first choice followed by Washington state. Again, I feel like this would have shown better given time.

There was another wine brought by BHVineyard that was a 2005 Burgundy but the name totally escapes me right now. I remember it drinking very young and that's all I remember about it.

Like Shaferguy91 stated, lots of wine; actually too much wine, lots of fun and great, great company. Bari is a great traditional Italian restaurant specializing in coastal cuisine. Our server did an outstanding job keeping fresh glasses and was very helpful with the menu. Can't wait to do this again.

Posts: 948 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasted all the 2010 Kosta Browne SVDs yesterday. The Koplen was my favorite in a stacked field.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Heitz Trailside Vineyard Cabernet.

Posts: 9476 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Cab Sauv.

(TN's posted)

Posts: 1604 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2008 Nigl Freiheit Gruner Veltliner

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
2010 The Chocolate Block

Good analysis. I like this wine but it is definitely big and modern

Posts: 6022 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post