WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    November 2012: what are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

November 2012: what are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
2011 Saint Cosme Syrah

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 2004 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- 1970 Château Clinet

- 2008 Cabreo Il Borgo Toscana IG

- 2005 Araujo Estate Syrah Eisele Vineyard

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shane T.,

Posts: 1648 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jean Milan Blanc de Blancs Brut Special

1989 Leoville Barton - In my limited experience, this was the most impressive Barton I have tried. Thoroughly enjoyed this mature bordeaux. Firing on all cylinders.

1990 Ornellaia ~ What a stunner! The fresh nose, full mid palate, and "Italian grip" were all in perfect balance. What a bouquet! Excellent wine with many years of life. The nose reminded us of a Mondavi reserve from 1975 that we recently sampled.

Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. VinT for a great night. (short but great). VinT, please chime in if I missed anything.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:

1989 Leoville Barton - In my limited experience, this was the most impressive Barton I have tried. Thoroughly enjoyed this mature bordeaux. Firing on all cylinders.

1990 Ornellaia ~ What a stunner! The fresh nose, full mid palate, and "Italian grip" were all in perfect balance. What a bouquet! Excellent wine with many years of life. The nose reminded us of a Mondavi reserve from 1975 that we recently sampled.

Thanks to Mr. and Mrs. VinT for a great night. (short but great). VinT, please chime in if I missed anything.

Bravo!

Posts: 30394 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Jean Milan was very nice - crisp, light and a refreshing start to a better-than-expected meal. You nailed the Barton perfectly but as good as it was, the Ornellaia left it in the dust. Wow.

We'll open the Suduiraut next time...

Posts: 2963 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night I pulled all the wines from my VK500 and replaced the cooling unit (thanks aav). I discovered some real gems that were buried deep.
I didn't realize I have 4 cases of 2001 Brunello and barolo.

Opened: 2001 Fanti Tenuto San Filippo BdM
2001 Il Carbonaione

Discovered Fuligni, Valdicava, Costanti, Moccagotta, Banfi, Castelgiocondo, Scavino, Maurino, etc......

Time for an Italian offline to sample these.
Also found 2 x 1999 La Poderina (I'll hold one for Steve8 since I know he enjoys these).

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5865 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Last night I pulled all the wines from my VK500 and replaced the cooling unit (thanks aav). I discovered some real gems that were buried deep.
I didn't realize I have 4 cases of 2001 Brunello and barolo.

Opened: 2001 Fanti Tenuto San Filippo BdM
2001 Il Carbonaione

Discovered Fuligni, Valdicava, Costanti, Moccagotta, Banfi, Castelgiocondo, Scavino, Maurino, etc......

Time for an Italian offline to sample these.
Also found 2 x 1999 La Poderina (I'll hold one for Steve8 since I know he enjoys these).

Nice discovery Dok! Like finding money in a pair of pants or jacket, only better Big Grin

Posts: 1975 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I discovered some real gems that were buried deep.

I love it when that happens!

Posts: 30394 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:

The Jean Milan was very nice - crisp, light and a refreshing start to a better-than-expected meal. You nailed the Barton perfectly but as good as it was, the Ornellaia left it in the dust. Wow.

We'll open the Suduiraut next time...

The 89 Barton that I had (Thanks VinT) was great - started out slow but opened up into a stunner. No surprise re: the Ornellaia.

Posts: 1975 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

2001 Il Carbonaione

How was it, BRO? PH and I have a few magnums of this sleeping.

posted Hide Post
'03 ch. pipeau
'05 cliff lede cab
'05 Rolf binder hales

Posts: 1710 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
At a Dallas off-line last night.

1996 Bollinger R.D. magnum

All reds tasted blind.

1999 Harlan Estate
1999 K. Kennedy
1999 Shafer HSS
1999 Bryant
1999 Screaming Eagle
1999 D. Arthur 1147

Who won?

EB, a disappointing night for wine overall. Frown

We all expected the '99 vintage to show well, but to a man it was pedestrian at best. Based solely on these bottles, the vintage is fading or in a truly dumb stage currently. We did not even bother to vote on the wines, but if you held a gun to my head ( I HATE points) I would put the Shafer HSS at 92 and not one other wine above 86 with the Bryant and Kennedy at 80 points. WS did 10 year retrospectives in the past, but not sure they still do. I would be curious how these were showing in 2009.

By the way, the '96 Bolly was stunning. Cool

posted Hide Post
02 Leoville Poyfere kosher

Posts: 6097 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Schramsberg Blanc de Blanc
2010 Morgon Pinot Noir 12 clones - excellent.
2009 Selbach-Oster Riesling Spatlese - outstanding.

Posts: 5566 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

Jcocktosten, when you list kosher, does L Poyfere produce a kosher and a non-kosher wine, or is all of their wine kosher?

posted Hide Post
quote:
WS did 10 year retrospectives in the past, but not sure they still do. I would be curious how these were showing in 2009.

They did do one. If you search it on the site you will find it...for subscription members I'm sure. They didn't taste all of the wines you guys did, but the Bryant, Kennedy and Harlan all got ratings in the 80's. The first two in the low 80's. The HSS was the highest rated on your list at 94.

Posts: 10301 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How was it, BRO? PH and I have a few magnums of this sleeping

Drinking well from 750. Lots of life ahead. Plum, spice, mushrooms and nice tannins. From magnum, you can drink or easily hold a few years.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5865 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remainder of 05 Chassagne Montrachet Clos du Chateau.

1997 Coutet. Fruit has diminished but nicely balanced. Tertiary flavours developing. Still has years to go. Very good but not outstanding.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

Jcocktosten, when you list kosher, does L Poyfere produce a kosher and a non-kosher wine, or is all of their wine kosher?

I believe they do two bottlings and only a small portion of the production is designated kosher

Posts: 6097 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same with Chateau Giscours

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37144 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Mauro Molino, Barolo, Vigna Gallinotto

Excellent and should improve.

Posts: 10301 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by rickym13:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Happy birthday, young guy! That's quite a list. How was the '62 Suduiraut? I haven't had a '62 Sauternes in many years.

thanks board-o!
surprisingly doing well......maybe better then me Big Grin i really think it is in a perfect place right now! it was from 375ml and it was nice dark golden color. very nice balance of fruit and acid. taste of honey and apricot with nice long finish.
i think this bottle can out live me Roll Eyes
The 1972 Inglenook Petite Sirah sounds very interesting to me. How did this one drink?

max...the '72 inglenook petite sirah was surprisingly live with some fruit. crazy thing is that this bottle belong to our late uncle who was not a serious wine drinker and i found it in his closet..... my guess is that he had it in there for over 30 yrs+. had price tag of $3.99 and cork was still in perfect condition.
love it when that happens. Smile

Posts: 2144 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
WS did 10 year retrospectives in the past, but not sure they still do. I would be curious how these were showing in 2009.

They did do one. If you search it on the site you will find it...for subscription members I'm sure. They didn't taste all of the wines you guys did, but the Bryant, Kennedy and Harlan all got ratings in the 80's. The first two in the low 80's. The HSS was the highest rated on your list at 94.

Thanks, Steve.

I no longer subscribe.

posted Hide Post
quote:

2001 Il Carbonaione

Thanks for the update on this wine, Dok.

1999 La Poderina (I'll hold one for Steve8 since I know he enjoys these).

steve8 is a man of refined tastes. I had this wine a couple of weeks ago and it was really, really good. Look forward to your impressions.

PH

Posts: 15360 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

2001 Il Carbonaione

How was it, BRO? PH and I have a few magnums of this sleeping.

That may have been the magnum buy of the century, w+a. Those bottles were priced below 750s at the time. Winner

PH

Posts: 15360 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post