WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    November 2012: what are you drinking?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

November 2012: what are you drinking?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
At lunch today with friends.

2001 Sine Qua Non Albino
Sine Qua Non Backward & Forward ( not sure of vintage)
2008 Sine Qua Non B20
2008 Sine Qua Non The Line

Did you enjoy these?

No.

Well, it certainly wasn't from a lack of effort! Smile

The wines are clearly well crafted, Wine Doc. If I were only drinking a single glass or maybe two it might be different, but the wines quickly become obnoxious, and then the sheer sameness on the palate becomes boring. Palate fatigue sat in for everyone, and the wines completely dominate any food.

For both the price and the varietals, there are endlessly better wines that I find far more interesting and far easier to enjoy multiple bottles of, and can be enjoyed with food.

On a side note, our conversation included Kosta Browne, and how they are now rethinking their style of PinotSyrah. I had nor heard this, but if true it is about time.

Posts: 30286 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night.

NV Jacques Selosse Les Carelles BdB
1997 Podere Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione
1999 Podere Poggio Scalette Il Carbonaione

Posts: 30286 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
last night, blind, with a very generous wine group

2004 Martinelli Chardonnay Martinelli Road
1937 Chateau Ausone
2002 Pahlmeyer
2003 Ch Mouton Rothschild
1982 Ch Le Gay Pomerol
2001 Ornellaia
2002 Phelps Insignia
2002 Phelps Insignia (it's fun when people bring the same wine to a blind)
2007 Troplong Mondot (wtf?)
1976 Cuvaison Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
2008 SQN B 20
2001 Guiraud Sauternes

Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Maduro

Posts: 5076 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jorge, please comment on the '37 Ausone. My experience with older Bordeaux is that most fruit is gone, some tannins struggle to hang on, the finish is short and the predominant bouquet is pekoe tea. What were your thoughts on this one?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5827 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last night.

Nice! Just had a 1995 a couple days back. How were these showing? It occurs to me that we first "met" in a 1995 Il Carb tasting note thread that you began back in May 2004!! If you don't count the MTH thread where grunhauser talked about slapping a woman in the face, that is..... Eek LOL

PH

Posts: 15326 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Volcanic Hill was excellent. Several people agreed with me that it was the wine of the night. The nose had characteristics of bordeaux and there was still plenty of fruit left.

quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Dallas John, how was the 1994 Volcanic Hill?

All the Brunello talk led me to open a 1997 Vigna Spuntali Angelini tonight. Wish I had more.

1990 Beaucastel CDP

Posts: 21 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
Jacques Selosse Initial disgorged in Oct 2010. IMO Selosse wines are the pinnacle of what champagne represent.

Basen on the only one I have tried, I would agree

Posts: 6044 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Jorge, please comment on the '37 Ausone. My experience with older Bordeaux is that most fruit is gone, some tannins struggle to hang on, the finish is short and the predominant bouquet is pekoe tea. What were your thoughts on this one?

It had a nose of leather to the 9th degree. once you got through that, there was some cedar, and (funny you mention tea) dark oolong type tea. a slight "burntness" to it. it was very cloudy. on the palate there was still some tannin, but not much in the way of fruit. maybe some dry fig, and what I can only describe as dry tree twigs, but really not much.

it was enjoyable, but more of an experience than a great wine. i was glad to have a glass, I maybe would've taken another pour just for the experience, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink much more than that.

Posts: 5076 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:

It had a nose of leather to the 9th degree. once you got through that, there was some cedar, and (funny you mention tea) dark oolong type tea. a slight "burntness" to it. it was very cloudy. on the palate there was still some tannin, but not much in the way of fruit. maybe some dry fig, and what I can only describe as dry tree twigs, but really not much.

it was enjoyable, but more of an experience than a great wine. i was glad to have a glass, I maybe would've taken another pour just for the experience, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink much more than that.

heh see facebook comment from yesterday ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12387 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Last night.

Nice! Just had a 1995 a couple days back. How were these showing? It occurs to me that we first "met" in a 1995 Il Carb tasting note thread that you began back in May 2004!! If you don't count the MTH thread where grunhauser talked about slapping a woman in the face, that is..... Eek LOL

PH

Ah yes, I remember both threads fondly.

I still prefer the '99 to the '97, but both were wonderful wines.

I also prefer most '99 vintages to the '97 vintage in general when drinking Tuscan wine, but I think highly of '97's as well.

posted Hide Post
With dungeness crab and tri-tip last night:

'10 chappallet chenin blanc
Ramey chard
08 Siduri Rosellas PN
10 Pride syrah
08 Pride sangiovese
05 Miner Benedetto

Good times with good friends

Posts: 3209 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
'06 brancaia chianti classico

V. What did you think?

It was my third bottle of it and i think it finally turned the corner. The first two were confected and hot, but this one had good balance, lost the heat and showed well as a lighter-styled chianti. Secondary nuances were just opening up. It had that Brancaia house style i enjoy. Not a wine to sip and think about, but it worked well with red sauce & polenta. Wish i had been more patient with the others.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night at Balena, a 2009 Grosjean Pinot Noir Valle d'Aosta. A pleasant surprise and an amazing meal.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Wolf Blass Black Label (be sure to decant this one)
2003 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey

Both excellent wines.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6144 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Tignanello
2009 Podere Scalette Il Carbonaione
2008 Cavalli Degli Dei
2009 Argiano Solengo
2009 Argiano Suolo
2009 Sassicaia
2009 Fontodi Flaccianello
2006 Valdicava Madonna del Piano
2004 Soldera Case Basse Riserva BdM
1995 Col d'Orcia Poggio al Vento BdM

Notes posted in TN section.

Posts: 2212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2001 Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Frederic Emile.

Posts: 9488 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night, my last bottle of 2001 Lamborghini Campoleone, and the best showing yet for this delicious and balanced wine. I now regret-- and this isn't the first or last time I will write this-- opening the others too early.

Also had a bottle of Piper-Heidsieck Cuvee Sublime, which is just not my style. It's on the sweeter side even for demi-sec, with a bit of a metallic note on the finish that I just couldn't get past. Not a wine I would seek out.

Cheers!

Posts: 8588 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sipping a 2009 Chateau Macard Bordeaux Superieur that was opened for the half bottle required for pot roast. Quite nice for being way on the low end. Bought a case for $8 or $9 per bottle.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last night, my last bottle of 2001 Lamborghini Campoleone, and the best showing yet for this delicious and balanced wine.

I bought a case of this on release and drank them within the first 5 years. Now you're making me regret my haste. Damn I wish I was 25 again and could buy wine for the long haul. But, alas, I digress.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Damn I wish I was 25 again and could buy wine for the long haul.

Dok, if you can make that happen, you gotta promise that you'll take me with you! Smile

Cheers!

Posts: 8588 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dok, if you can make that happen, you gotta promise that you'll take me with you!

I am starting to take reservations Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Last night, my last bottle of 2001 Lamborghini Campoleone, and the best showing yet for this delicious and balanced wine.

I bought a case of this on release and drank them within the first 5 years. Now you're making me regret my haste. Damn I wish I was 25 again and could buy wine for the long haul. But, alas, I digress.

Had this last a couple years ago. Wish I had more

Posts: 6044 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tonight, at the dining room table catching up on charts and consult notes: 1989 Leoville Las Cases (courtesy CSM).

Dubious as I was removing the capsule and finding a slightly depressed enclosure, I carefully did a little blunt dissection of the saturated cork with my old and faithful Ah-so and the wine aromas spewed throughout the kitchen. Extremely expressive nose with black fruit, hints of mocha, plenty of cedar and tobacco and a little pepper and spice. This was repeated on the palate with a touch of cured meat.

The wine was simply popped and poured. This wine is clearly improving with a little age and has the gutsiness and goods to be a long distance runner. Drink or hold for many years. I'm thrilled I have many more in the cellar.

posted Hide Post
I bought a case of 2009 Beaurenard Chateau Neuf du pape...going to try this tonight to see what might develop over the years. Would appreciate anyone commenting...as I am not a Rhone guy...

Jeff

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monday night (forgot to post):

2005 Cristom Pinot Noir Jessie Vineyard

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13640 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post