WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What vintage is Premier Cru delivering at the moment?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
What vintage is Premier Cru delivering at the moment?
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I just got an email from Premier Cru titled "Inventory Reduction." Almost half the wines listed are "pre-arrival." By definition, they're not in inventory.


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36387 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I just got an email from Premier Cru titled "Inventory Reduction." Almost half the wines listed are "pre-arrival." By definition, they're not in inventory.


I just logged on to post this exact same thing. Very funny email.
 
Posts: 4144 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:

I do all of my futures buying and a lot of my online buying from JJ Buckley and have never had any problems with recieving the wines I ordered or with their customer service. I have found if JJB says it will arrive in the spring it arrives in the spring, not 3 springs from now.


Good to know. I dove head first this year on a few 2009 Bordeaux Futures, first time ever buying Futures outside of Canada, so glad to hear positive comments about JJB
 
Posts: 2241 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:

I do all of my futures buying and a lot of my online buying from JJ Buckley and have never had any problems with recieving the wines I ordered or with their customer service. I have found if JJB says it will arrive in the spring it arrives in the spring, not 3 springs from now.


Good to know. I dove head first this year on a few 2009 Bordeaux Futures, first time ever buying Futures outside of Canada, so glad to hear positive comments about JJB

Well, not all positives. I've had a couple of wines from JJB that arrived, but I had them hold them and when I came by to pick them up they were lost. Said they would try to locate them and finally responded they couldn't. I had to poke them a couple of months after that to get a refund. A year later and the refunded amount gets added to the bill for a different wine that just arrived, and once again I had to straighten them out. Roll Eyes

I've bought ALOT of wine through PC, and never had a problem with a wine not (eventually) delivered or being cooked.
 
Posts: 2876 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have never had PC not come through on a purchase (and I purchased quite a bit in the past) nor have I had a cooked wine that came from them. That being said, I am still waiting for 2005 Pontet Canet, and some 2004 Brunello.


Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
 
Posts: 9634 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone have an update on the new store that they were supposed to build this past summer?


Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O
 
Posts: 696 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
I have never had PC not come through on a purchase (and I purchased quite a bit in the past) nor have I had a cooked wine that came from them. That being said, I am still waiting for 2005 Pontet Canet, and some 2004 Brunello.


Mom d dad: my PC 2005 Pontet arrived many months ago??????
 
Posts: 1046 | Location: Granite Bay & Newport Beach, California | Registered: Nov 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Just ordered some Fevre Grand Cru Chablis from them.


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36387 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NY Retailer:
Anyone have an update on the new store that they were supposed to build this past summer?


Was at their shop in Emeryville today (picked up my orders of '05 L. Barton, Pavie Macquin and L. Poyfere that were ordered in early '07). The Berkeley store will open at the end of Oct.
 
Posts: 3 | Location: Clayton, CA | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Just ordered some Fevre Grand Cru Chablis from them.


My fingers got real itchy when I read that email, yet I demonstrated some restraint.


Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
 
Posts: 9634 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by California kid:
Mom d dad: my PC 2005 Pontet arrived many months ago??????


CK - when did you originally place your order?


Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
 
Posts: 9634 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:
quote:


Wow, JJBuckley should really be the last retailer to comment on selling wine not in their possession. Roll Eyes
The difference is, PC will come through with the wine or make up for it while JJB will not.
What a joke...


I've not had that experience with JJB. I've had the exact opposite experience in fact....


Same here - all positive experiences with JJB. PC - zero for three (they delivered but it was a L-O-N-G painful process).
 
Posts: 49 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A little update note. I just received a couple of my 2006 Bordeaux (Lagrange and Hosana) from Premier Cru. The more expensive 2006 ones (Haut-Brion, Latour, Margaux, Mouton etc etc) are still not here.

On the other hand, I have started to get my 2008 Bordeaux wines that I purchased from other vendors!

I don't mind the wait, but what I don't like is that they cannot give me a date... or worse... I was told that all my 2006 was going to be here by the end of 2010.

For 2010 futures in a few months I am planning to do some MAJOR wine purchases, however, I am not going to go with Premier Cru if I have not received my 2006 by then.
 
Posts: 61 | Location: Irvine, CA | Registered: Nov 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djdaqm:
A little update note. I just received a couple of my 2006 Bordeaux (Lagrange and Hosana) from Premier Cru. The more expensive 2006 ones (Haut-Brion, Latour, Margaux, Mouton etc etc) are still not here.

On the other hand, I have started to get my 2008 Bordeaux wines that I purchased from other vendors!

I don't mind the wait, but what I don't like is that they cannot give me a date... or worse... I was told that all my 2006 was going to be here by the end of 2010.

For 2010 futures in a few months I am planning to do some MAJOR wine purchases, however, I am not going to go with Premier Cru if I have not received my 2006 by then.


Well, I hope that PC actually had a firm source before they sold you those first growths, otherwise they're going to have problems trying to source them now...
 
Posts: 247 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djdaqm:
A little update note. I just received a couple of my 2006 Bordeaux (Lagrange and Hosana) from Premier Cru. The more expensive 2006 ones (Haut-Brion, Latour, Margaux, Mouton etc etc) are still not here.

On the other hand, I have started to get my 2008 Bordeaux wines that I purchased from other vendors!

I don't mind the wait, but what I don't like is that they cannot give me a date... or worse... I was told that all my 2006 was going to be here by the end of 2010.

For 2010 futures in a few months I am planning to do some MAJOR wine purchases, however, I am not going to go with Premier Cru if I have not received my 2006 by then.


Avoid PC for futures! They are not worth the money you save, due to the wait and I've read on here many times that they fail to deliver. Might I suggest for Bordeaux futures you try something like K&L, Binnys, The Chicago Wine Company, Gary's Wine & Marketplace or Sherry-Lehmann. I've had good experiences with them and at least they deliver. I'm done with PC for anything they don't have in stock when I order.
 
Posts: 2200 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Avoid PC for futures! They are not worth the money you save, due to the wait and I've read on here many times that they fail to deliver. Might I suggest for Bordeaux futures you try something like K&L, Binnys, The Chicago Wine Company, Gary's Wine & Marketplace or Sherry-Lehmann. I've had good experiences with them and at least they deliver. I'm done with PC for anything they don't have in stock when I order.


Really? Who do you know that has had problems with failure to deliver that was not equitably rectified? Is the long wait really a problem per se, given the ageworthiness of many/most of the wines involved? Provenence on long wait might be an issue but you did not mention that, nor did you mention concerns about the nature of their business structure (whatever that is), though clearly a long wait puts more risk on the consumer.


"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"
 
Posts: 2237 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Avoid PC for futures! They are not worth the money you save, due to the wait.....


I've always found this logic to be faulty in that in almost all cases, the futures they're offering are on wines that aren't remotely ready to drink anyway. Why are you in such a hurry to get wines that need significant age in the first place?

fwiw, PC has never failed to deliver for me. Not once. They came close once, on a few bottles of Flaccianello. They made me a MORE than fair proposal on a replacement wine (worth almost double the Flaccianello) and then were able to come through with the promised bottles in the end. I still haven't opened the first bottle of Flac, fwiw......

PH
 
Posts: 14618 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Avoid PC for futures! They are not worth the money you save, due to the wait and I've read on here many times that they fail to deliver. Might I suggest for Bordeaux futures you try something like K&L, Binnys, The Chicago Wine Company, Gary's Wine & Marketplace or Sherry-Lehmann. I've had good experiences with them and at least they deliver. I'm done with PC for anything they don't have in stock when I order.


Really? Who do you know that has had problems with failure to deliver that was not equitably rectified? Is the long wait really a problem per se, given the ageworthiness of many/most of the wines involved? Provenence on long wait might be an issue but you did not mention that, nor did you mention concerns about the nature of their business structure (whatever that is), though clearly a long wait puts more risk on the consumer.


Equitable rectification? Sounds like a personal problem Wink

I didn't receive a few bottles of 2005 Burgundy that I had ordered, and after calling them a few times they did offer me some other wines....but I still didn't get the wines that I had ordered. The issue isn't the fact that those wines, or other Bordeaux may not be ready to drink upon receipt, but rather you will receive what you ordered at all. I see no reason to order from a company that cannot guarantee that I will receive the product.
 
Posts: 2200 | Location: Chicago Suburbs | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I do not care whether you buy futures from them or not, however, I will say they did not deliver on 2 (or maybe 3?) orders that I had placed.

We have started receiving our 2008s as well.

Never got our 2007s...forgot to order them!


Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O
 
Posts: 696 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by khmark7:
Avoid PC for futures! They are not worth the money you save, due to the wait and I've read on here many times that they fail to deliver. Might I suggest for Bordeaux futures you try something like K&L, Binnys, The Chicago Wine Company, Gary's Wine & Marketplace or Sherry-Lehmann. I've had good experiences with them and at least they deliver. I'm done with PC for anything they don't have in stock when I order.


Really? Who do you know that has had problems with failure to deliver that was not equitably rectified? Is the long wait really a problem per se, given the ageworthiness of many/most of the wines involved? Provenence on long wait might be an issue but you did not mention that, nor did you mention concerns about the nature of their business structure (whatever that is), though clearly a long wait puts more risk on the consumer.


Equitable rectification? Sounds like a personal problem Wink

I didn't receive a few bottles of 2005 Burgundy that I had ordered, and after calling them a few times they did offer me some other wines....but I still didn't get the wines that I had ordered. The issue isn't the fact that those wines, or other Bordeaux may not be ready to drink upon receipt, but rather you will receive what you ordered at all. I see no reason to order from a company that cannot guarantee that I will receive the product.


Ok, but what wine stores will guarantee that you will receive the product, and if you don't receive the product what compensation will be offered? Seems to me that with all of the complaints about PC, in cases of people complaining about retailers not delivering, most also fail miserably in providing reasonable compensation. I don't feel terribly comfortable ordering from PC, but only because I am worried they will go out of business altogether; if they fail to deliver but remain a going concern, I feel much more confident that I will be offered reasonable replacement from PC than any other operation, judging solely by the assorted comments on several retailers that I have seen over the years. And yes, I am taking medication for my equitable rectification problem.


"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"
 
Posts: 2237 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question. What vintage is PC delivering? 1982.


--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`
 
Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
Back to the original question. What vintage is PC delivering? 1982.


I wish I could get some 1982 at PC prices.


"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"
 
Posts: 2237 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NY Retailer:
Anyone have an update on the new store that they were supposed to build this past summer?

Since no one ever answered yet, I was in the new PC in Berkeley last week and it is rather impressive. Beautiful racking, seperate climate controlled display, etc. You feel like you should dress up to go there. They must be doing well for the capital improvements or just reinvested everyone's futures $. Big Grin Had my '05 Leo Barton in.
 
Posts: 2367 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
mountainman, Did you elect to pick your wine up there? I have a few Chablis waiting for me and I think it would be cool to see the new shop, especially if it's as nice as you say.


“Being drunk is a good disguise. I drink so I can talk to *******s. This includes me.”
 
Posts: 1348 | Location: Pleasant Hill, Ca | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I always do store pick up with them.
 
Posts: 2367 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What vintage is Premier Cru delivering at the moment?

© Wine Spectator 2013