WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    What vintage is Premier Cru delivering at the moment?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What vintage is Premier Cru delivering at the moment?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
KSC02, have they really delivered yet or is this another stall tactic? Right now its too hot and then it will be too cold.

I've never had PC tell me this and it not be the actual case.
Shipping temps/issues is another subject and I don't consider this an issue if sent out in October as I requested.

Posts: 15663 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done one order with them with items they had in and no problems.

I tried to buy some Fevre wines but they kept pushing back delivery. They did credit my card back.

Their prices are average and can be beat by a ton of outlets.

As mentioned many times before, they are not worth working with and have to be the most unorganized major wine shop in the world.

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 451 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reference to 2003 Pavie Macquin 3L missing...

There was once a funny comment on eBob that someone posted. They were missing half btls of Bordeaux futures from PC...about 2 years or so late. They said that PC told them that the half btls were bottled later than everything else and that is why they were late delivering.

I threw up a little in my mouth when I read that!

And if anyone wants 2006 Voerzio near that price...let me know...it can be done!

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 753 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My own experience related to my 2006 Bordeaux was that they were going to be ready now. I gave them a call. The people were really nice to me. However, my wine is not ready. This is the second target date which they had mentioned delivery and they miss. In addition to being nice, they should be honest too. I rather hear the truth upfront.

Of course, now I know the drill. Sadly for me, I did not know extensive wait when I made my order.

Speaking for myself now: will order from them again? Easy question: absolutely not.

Posts: 61 | Location: Irvine, CA | Registered: Nov 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My '05 Bord orderswere the last with them. With pricing of Bord being what it is, why bother with the risk?

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NY Retailer:

And if anyone wants 2006 Voerzio near that price...let me know...it can be done!

How near Dan? My daughter goes to school a couple of miles from your store so i am in your area occasionally. You probably don't remember but you once gave me direction from your shop to there. If you can come close it would be better to just pick them up than have them shipped cross country.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
quote:

How near Dan?...If you can come close it would be better to just pick them up than have them shipped cross country.

I may be interested in that as well, if it helps round out an order, Vt2It.

Posts: 15663 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may be interested in this as well for a purchase in 2011.

Posts: 5188 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last (and final time) I ordered from PC. Link.

VM

Posts: 12355 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drop me an email if you are interested, and we can chat.

I do remember the directions to the school...I think it was Manhattanville College?

Unless I am confusing it.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 753 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Partial order arrived after 6 months. They happen to be Felsina, still waiting on the 06 Flaccianello and 07 Port. Oh well, they can age.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1449 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on my 05 Pipeau and a 07 CdP. Did finally get a '00 Bordeaux from them last year.

Posts: 334 | Location: Near Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joea:
Did finally get a '00 Bordeaux from them last year.

Eek Wow!!!!!

Posts: 4639 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joea:
Did finally get a '00 Bordeaux from them last year.

Eek Wow!!!!![/QUOTE]

If a bottle was selling for $300, and Premier Cru was selling it for $150, I would rather pay the $300 and know I was in control of the bottles provenance, than pay $150 and have a bottle cooking somewhere for 5 years without proper provenance.

I do not need any $150 bottles I would not even cook with.

Posts: 30348 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
If a bottle was selling for $300, and Premier Cru was selling it for $150, I would rather pay the $300 and know I was in control of the bottles provenance, than pay $150 and have a bottle cooking somewhere for 5 years without proper provenance.

While it is true that one does not know the provenance of a bottle purchased through PC, this can be said of many items purchased through a retailer. Even using the established the auction houses you know nothing more than what they ambiguously describe (a fine gentlemen collector from the E Coast blah blah blah).

Bottom line is that you have to trust the retailer your purchasing/sourcing from. If you can't trust them, don't buy from them. That said, I've purchased a handful of bottles from PC and have not had one bottle show anything other than superbly. Regarding this, I feel compelled to fairly give them the credit they deserve.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

While it is true that one does not know the provenance of a bottle purchased through PC, this can be said of many items purchased through a retailer. Even using the established the auction houses you know nothing more than what they ambiguously describe (a fine gentlemen collector from the E Coast blah blah blah).

Bottom line is that you have to trust the retailer your purchasing/sourcing from. If you can't trust them, don't buy from them. That said, I've purchased a handful of bottles from PC and have not had one bottle show anything other than superbly. Regarding this, I feel compelled to fairly give them the credit they deserve.

KSC02, my point is why? There are far too many options in the market, and often in the local market (Dallas) where I know my wine will be delivered without sitting in some warehouse for months/years, and I KNOW of the provenance.

Buying wine at an auction is a totally different point than futures. Everyone knows that is a roll of the dice, which is not the case with futures, or should not be.

Posts: 30348 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding futures with PC, I see your point.

I was specifically referring to their offerings of aged wine (which they often make available as well) from their in-stock holdings. They're not 'futures'.

However...regarding your futures purchasing, you are in a very good position in 'knowing' when/where/how your order is coming in. I'm thinking that most purchases on this board could not honestly say that for most of their bottles purchased in such a way. With this line of thought, any futures purchase, when done on-online' falls into the same category as PC. They are at the mercy of the ethics & practices of the retailer to look out for their property until delivered.

Even here in QC, product is known to sit in the warehouses here for months and more, prior to 'release' to the public. There are many stories of palates of wine observed sitting on an asphalt tarmac for hours +, or sitting outside of appropriate warehousing under similar conditions. We here never really 'know' the condition of the wines that we're buying prior to physically taking position of them. We, again, rely on the ethics and quality control employed by the distributor.

posted Hide Post
quote:

KSC02, my point is why? There are far too many options in the market, and often in the local market (Dallas) where I know my wine will be delivered without sitting in some warehouse for months/years, and I KNOW of the provenance.

Buying wine at an auction is a totally different point than futures. Everyone knows that is a roll of the dice, which is not the case with futures, or should not be.

Have you heard many complaints of poor provenance from those that have ordered (and waited for) futures from PC? Even accounting for the fact that many of these futures have yet to be delivered, and many that have been delivered have not likely been tasted, I cannot recall any serious complaints of provenance from those that have received and tasted wines that they waited a very long time to receive, and I expect that those tasting such wines would have been acutely aware of the potential provenance issues due to the extended wait times when they tasted (and hopefully would accordingly have been more likely to make note of any apparent problems). So yes it is always a risk that can't be confirmed until ultimate consumption, but given the apparent track record I don't think it is that unreasonable of a risk for limited purchases in terms of provenance (potential non-delivery due to a crash in their 'business model' notwithstanding).

"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"

Posts: 2855 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's funny, I had someone from JJBuckley give them a very strong compliment yesterday, saying they are "very nice people who just have a different way of doing business. They sell the wine before they purchase it"

I'm not sure how they do this and don't get burned selling so cheap when they haven't even sourced the product yet, so it must be a volume/cash flow thing that keeps them going

Posts: 2280 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
It's funny, I had someone from JJBuckley give them a very strong compliment yesterday, saying they are "very nice people who just have a different way of doing business. They sell the wine before they purchase it"

I'm not sure how they do this and don't get burned selling so cheap when they haven't even sourced the product yet, so it must be a volume/cash flow thing that keeps them going

I doubt that their lawyers would approved of them making such a statement, but I also don't recall seeing any statements out of PC that expressly said that this was not the case.

"No TV and no beer make Homer...something, something"

Posts: 2855 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:

I doubt that their lawyers would approved of them making such a statement, but I also don't recall seeing any statements out of PC that expressly said that this was not the case.

I think it's pretty well common knowledge that mant times they sell product before they have acquired it. There's nothing illegal about this, esp if they end up following through, even if it takes longer than typically expected

I'm just guessing about their business model, but my guess is they have a proven method of investing dollars obtained for 5+ years and then finding ways to fulfill their orders and still make a profit.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow, JJBuckley should really be the last retailer to comment on selling wine not in their possession. Roll Eyes
The difference is, PC will come through with the wine or make up for it while JJB will not.
What a joke...

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArieS:
quote:

Wow, JJBuckley should really be the last retailer to comment on selling wine not in their possession. Roll Eyes

What a joke...

Good to know.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The difference is, PC will come through with the wine or make up for it while JJB will not.
What a joke...

I've not had that experience with JJB. I've had the exact opposite experience in fact....

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What a joke...

I do all of my futures buying and a lot of my online buying from JJ Buckley and have never had any problems with recieving the wines I ordered or with their customer service. I have found if JJB says it will arrive in the spring it arrives in the spring, not 3 springs from now.

Posts: 4639 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post