WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    People who bother me wine wise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who bother me wine wise
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qhdeputy:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"

A local high end Italian resturant [PBG]had two lists. One was for the 'good' stuff. He would decide whether he would provide the list to you. Bias!!! I then boycotted him, never ordered a bottle from him. Now he is gone an opened a smaller place in NPB. Still the same sh*$ with the list. [PS you locals might figure out who he is, place starts with "S".

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6452 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
I don't like going to a restaurant and having to ask for the "cellar selection" wine list or whatever it might be called. If you given or ask for the wine list, please give them all to me. Not sure why some restaurants have a separate list. Seems as though some revenue might be lost if someone doesn't know to ask for the "other one"

A local high end Italian resturant [PBG]had two lists. One was for the 'good' stuff. He would decide whether he would provide the list to you. Bias!!! I then boycotted him, never ordered a bottle from him. Now he is gone an opened a smaller place in NPB. Still the same sh*$ with the list. [PS you locals might figure out who he is, place starts with "S".

I actually quite appreciate that... You could view it from a negative perspective like "If I don't like you, you don't get the best stuff". But you could also see it from a positive perspective: "I want to offer something special to my most precious clients". I have had some excellent wines in restaurants with an otherwise ordinary wine list. In one particular case I know the owner is a great wine connoisseur, but simply doesn't have the restaurant location to be selling premium wines. He can't stock a lot of expensive bottles, but does want to offer something special to a selected group of clients.

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever having a selection off menu, but it might be against Olive Garden's policy Wink

Posts: 1119 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Apr 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our wine critic for the Star Tribune here.

Not a fan of the Cycles Gladitor?

Devilish

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 452 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:
quote:
quote:

I actually quite appreciate that... You could view it from a negative perspective like "If I don't like you, you don't get the best stuff". But you could also see it from a positive perspective: "I want to offer something special to my most precious clients". I have had some excellent wines in restaurants with an otherwise ordinary wine list. In one particular case I know the owner is a great wine connoisseur, but simply doesn't have the restaurant location to be selling premium wines. He can't stock a lot of expensive bottles, but does want to offer something special to a selected group of clients.

The regular list has a bunch of plonk, and a lot of bottles with a 3+ markup on them. Really soaking the general public.

Posts: 6452 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Trying to figure it out, but not having success...

Posts: 6561 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
quote:

Trying to figure it out, but not having success...

1201 N. Us highway 1, Crystal Tree

posted Hide Post
Ah, that helps!

Wink

Posts: 6561 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, there have been a couple threads here recently about how much "somms" suck and since I am the beverage and wine director at our restaurant I was at first angered, but now I am more saddened but the amount of apparently inadequate somms out there. So many of your complaints seem obvious and understandable, it makes me frustrated that people can't seem to figure this stuff out. Esp. the vintage and spelling. Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally sleep about every one and the same may be said for vintages. I have been looking over menus for a future trip to SF and its amazing how many wine lists are lacking definition, whether it be vintage, region of some other factor that may influence a buyer's decision.

Well, in order to avoid being too long-winded, have faith! There are some who just want to offer and serve the best wines I can to whoever wants to buy them.

Posts: 61 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blakeybombs:
Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally sleep about every one

Maybe Mom can translate. Banana

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37106 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally lost sleep about every one

Nice catch, Board-O. More lost sleep for blakeybombs.... Devilish

PH

Posts: 15348 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally sleep about every one

Shucks, sorry mom!

Posts: 61 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, there have been a couple threads here recently about how much "somms" suck and since I am the beverage and wine director at our restaurant I was at first angered, but now I am more saddened but the amount of apparently inadequate somms out there. So many of your complaints seem obvious and understandable, it makes me frustrated that people can't seem to figure this stuff out. Esp. the vintage and spelling. Maybe it is because my mom is an English teacher but spelling errors freak me out and though they have occurred in the past, I have literally sleep about every one and the same may be said for vintages. I have been looking over menus for a future trip to SF and its amazing how many wine lists are lacking definition, whether it be vintage, region of some other factor that may influence a buyer's decision.

Well, in order to avoid being too long-winded, have faith! There are some who just want to offer and serve the best wines I can to whoever wants to buy them.

I think your Mom would shudder if she read this post of yours.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2443 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jochems:

does this make sense because there is a shortage of high quality wines available if he sells out of the good stuff that he cant find anything else of suitable quality {hello, this is France, oh im sorry sir, we're all out of wine.} or is it because high quality wine is a loss leader for him and he cant be selling the high quality wine below cost to everyone.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 473 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post