Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German red
 Login/Join 
posted
Today's Baltimore Sun has a review of the 2009 Georg Albrecht Schneider Dornfelder Trocken, which retails around $18. From Rheinhessen.

The reviewer (Mi9chael Dresser) says the wine is "delicious" and "full of intense cherry and wild berry flavor." He compares it to a medium bodied Burgundy.

Dresser doesn't give out "points". He just comments and suggests food matches (in this case, pork roast, poultry, grilled tuna).

Anyone had a good red from Germany lately? Intriguing.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had quite a few "Dornfelders," as the varietal is a favorite of my father. From my perspective, they're not earth-shattering, but some of them can be nice.

I have also enjoyed some "Regents" (trocken) from a few producers (mostly small family weinguts).

Posts: 1280 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been a while but had a few of the pinot noirs (Spatburgunder in German) brought in by German wine importer Truly Fine Wines. I enjoyed them.

Posts: 8506 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
German reds are kind of like Canadian reds for me. I've had a few and haven't been inspired to look much further. There are just so many other options that yield a higher return....

PH

Posts: 14625 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
German reds are kind of like Canadian reds for me.

LOL

Except without the big jammy super-ripe fruit!

I agree with the sentiment tho. Tried loads of them mostly for curiosity and, well, Germany produces great Riesling.

Not everything grows everywhere. Germany and Switzerland don't grow very good pineapples either. That's OK.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2464 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Within the last 2 years I've only had a few German reds. All Pinot Noir. The wines I've had are from some of the top producers and the problem is the price which is not relative to what you would expect to pay for similar quality from other regions. For example, the Meyer Nakel below retails for $65 and the Huber for $50. Here are my notes:

2003 Meyer-Näkel Bad Neuenahrer Sonnenberg Spätburgunder - Germany, Ahr (9/10/2011)
Took my last bottle to New Buffalo to drink alongside another Spatburgunder. Paired with veal brats from Paulina market. Just as good as ever. Some thought it was not pinotlike enough. It is a bigger and richer style. Really a Pinot that you would expect to come out of California. 2003 was one of the hottest and ripest years in German history and it showed in this wine. Amazing that a wine like this could be made in a cool region like the Ahr. Notes of dark fruit and charcoal. Holding up very well. 92 points.

2008 Aufricht Meersburger Sonnenufer Spätburgunder - Germany, Baden (9/9/2011)
A friend brought this back from Germany. Drank alongside a Meyer-Nakel Spatburgunder. Very different styles. Light red color. This much more subtle and nuanced. Creamy, soft red fruit. Easy to drink. 89 points.

2004 Bernhard Huber Malterdinger Bienenberg Spätburgunder "R" - Germany, Baden (2/14/2011)
Bohemian Duck Dinner (Pinot and Riesling) (New Buffalo, Michigan): This estate was started in 1987. Today, Huber makes some of the best Pinot in Germany and Bernhard Huber was voted the winemaker of the year in 2008 by Gault Millau. His vineyards are planted on Devonian chalk and are aged on their skins.13.5% alcohol. The "R" stands for his reserve level wines. This was my 2nd favorite Pinot of the evening and it matched very well with my wife's duck. Good core of fruit and drinking well. A round and supple Pinot. Notes of earthy red fruit and tar. 91 points.

VM

Posts: 12051 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
German reds are kind of like Canadian reds for me. I've had a few and haven't been inspired to look much further. There are just so many other options that yield a higher return....

PH

Kinda what I was thinking.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 6928 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a decent German pinot noir at Easter but agree that ill stick to mostly rieslings when I'm in the Germany isle.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a nice Pinot Meunier by Darting a while back at a restaurant tasting. It was the first time I'd had this grape in a single varietal bottling, and the best German red (of not many) I'd had.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reds are actually pretty hot in Germany right now, but they tend not to be exported much due to demand over there (much like a lot of the GG Rieslings).

I've had one or two really nice Spaetburgunders, most notably from Diel. The good ones aren't inexpensive, and whether they're good QPR or not, well, I don't know (certainly not compared to some of the Praedikat Rieslings), but I love finding interesting wines that are somewhat obscure.

Posts: 751 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
quote:
German reds are kind of like Canadian reds for me.

Not everything grows everywhere. Germany and Switzerland don't grow very good pineapples either. That's OK.

Winner

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 1978 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post