WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Buying Moratorium
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Wine Buying Moratorium
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I've officially not bought a bottle of wine(have received some as gifts and picked up stuff ordered a long time ago) in over 39 days-longest ever!


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6529 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
I've officially not bought a bottle of wine in over 39 days-longest ever!


Why?
 
Posts: 29999 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
I've officially not bought a bottle of wine(have received some as gifts and picked up stuff ordered a long time ago) in over 39 days-longest ever!


Gotcha beat. The last bottles I purchased were 4 bottles back on 11/20/2010. PURPLE bought 1 bottle while at COSTCO back on 12/14/2010. Nothing since.

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Why?


In my case, lack of funds versus too much wine in the cellar that needs to be consumed.


Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net
 
Posts: 13445 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
In my case, lack of funds versus too much wine in the cellar that needs to be consumed. . .


. . .and a bet to win. Wink


-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth
 
Posts: 8875 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
nice dumpster dive..

hiatus for me, 30 days now.
 
Posts: 3699 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
yea me too
i need to stop until san fran.


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 11679 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
I've officially not bought a bottle of wine in over 39 days-longest ever!


Why?


When you are spending more on wine annually than someone's salary, it can get to be a problem. I just wanted to make sure I still had some self-discipline in regards to wine purchases. Nothing religious. Cool


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6529 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have not bought any wine since the 7th of April.

I have over 100 bottles ready to drink and several coming down the stretch.

I'm going to streamline the cellar and back fill with long agers so they will be ready after the ones coming along.

For me I'm just at that point in my cellar plan.

I will however not pass up any nice bottles, should they come my way. But the hunt is on standby.


JL
 
Posts: 1667 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me but this thread makes no sense. This is like posting on a site for gearheads that you're not really into cars - and somehow proud of that.

I certainly get there are lots of reasons (financial, storage capacity, wife who knows too much) not to purchase but why is this almost being bandied about as something to be celebrated?

So if you're on some sort of moratorium then congratulation, I guess.

As for me, I'm buying. Always buying.
 
Posts: 135 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Henderson, the key is what are you buying? This thread has purpose because folks on a moratorium will buy if the right opportunity presents itself.

Vinaigre will open the wallet if a great deal comes along, and even the king of this thread, WIML, would undoubtedly lose his bet if he can score a pristine '47 Cheval Blanc (or whatever his trigger wine might be), from a trusted cellar, for a two figure price.

This is the beauty of threads like this, as every wine lover's breaking point is eventually reached, or he/she will pass into that vineyard in the sky. . .

Hopefully the former.


-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth
 
Posts: 8875 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Henderson, I'm not entirely sure your analogy makes sense. The participants of this thread are not stating or conveying the message that they are not in to wine. They are simply stating that they are currently not purchasing, due to a variety of factors. It is still possible to appreciate and discuss wine without purchasing it, especially in the case of the participants in the thread, who have cellars stocked full.
 
Posts: 1281 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
at ~ 400 bottles of port, another probably another 50 bottles of various < 80 proof liquors, I can honestly say, that I have enough alcohol in my system to light my farts on fire.


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 11679 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hendersonalsorises:
Maybe it's just me but this thread makes no sense. This is like posting on a site for gearheads that you're not really into cars - and somehow proud of that.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is digging up a 7 year old thread.
 
Posts: 1217 | Location: Carlsbad, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hendersonalsorises:
I certainly get there are lots of reasons (financial, storage capacity, wife who knows too much) not to purchase but why is this almost being bandied about as something to be celebrated?
Eek

It's come to my attention that a considerable number of wives employ a "rule of thirds" when making their big ticket purchases. They put one third of their purchase on debit, one third on credit, and one third is paid in cash. So, what the husband sees on the statements is a third of the actual purchase price of whatever product or service. I'm not sure how many husbands have been clever enough (or dumb enough) to try pulling this with a wine purchase. Those who haven't, well, they face the dreaded moratorium!


Punch it , Chewie!
 
Posts: 1360 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
The part that doesn't make sense to me is digging up a 7 year old thread.


Why? Enlighten us.


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6529 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
at ~ 400 bottles of port, another probably another 50 bottles of various < 80 proof liquors, I can honestly say, that I have enough alcohol in my system to light my farts on fire.


Wow, you have 399 more bottle of Port than I. Wink
 
Posts: 29999 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
quote:
Originally posted by hendersonalsorises:
I certainly get there are lots of reasons (financial, storage capacity, wife who knows too much) not to purchase but why is this almost being bandied about as something to be celebrated?
Eek

It's come to my attention that a considerable number of wives employ a "rule of thirds" when making their big ticket purchases. They put one third of their purchase on debit, one third on credit, and one third is paid in cash. So, what the husband sees on the statements is a third of the actual purchase price of whatever product or service. I'm not sure how many husbands have been clever enough (or dumb enough) to try pulling this with a wine purchase. Those who haven't, well, they face the dreaded moratorium!


just have 3 wives - problem solved!
 
Posts: 135 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aml:
Henderson, I'm not entirely sure your analogy makes sense. The participants of this thread are not stating or conveying the message that they are not in to wine. They are simply stating that they are currently not purchasing, due to a variety of factors. It is still possible to appreciate and discuss wine without purchasing it, especially in the case of the participants in the thread, who have cellars stocked full.


AML,
I noted capacity in my post as a valid reason that's completely understandable.

It just seems strange to dedicate an entire thread to NOT buying something that you're interested in but to each her own.

I'd imagine that most people on here are certainly more than casual wine enthusiasts so of course the qty of purchases will likely be fewer and of higher quality over a period of time.

But as for a moratorium? Well, that seems a bit strong.

On a personal note, do I spend too much, purchase more wine than I need and keep putting off figuring out how I will ever drink all these bottles?

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

H
 
Posts: 135 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The moratorium that has largely existed for the last four and a half years will be lifted today, as DnVsMom's sh!tty company eliminated her position. What does doing the job of two people for over a year get you? Not much apparently. Mad

Fortunately, she has many contacts who respect her greatly, and as soon as word got out, her phone was buzzing off the hook.

The Treasury Wine Estates boycott will begin soon after we drink what's left of their wine in the cellar.


Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
 
Posts: 9635 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
The moratorium that has largely existed for the last four and a half years will be lifted today, as DnVsMom's sh!tty company eliminated her position. What does doing the job of two people for over a year get you? Not much apparently. Mad

Fortunately, she has many contacts who respect her greatly, and as soon as word got out, her phone was buzzing off the hook.

The Treasury Wine Estates boycott will begin soon after we drink what's left of their wine in the cellar.


Really sorry to hear about that DNVD. Hang in there. Sounds like you should open a few bottles tonight.
 
Posts: 135 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hendersonalsorises:
But as for a moratorium? Well, that seems a bit strong.

Keep it in perspective, henderson.
This, IMHO, is a thread to aid and balance all those other threads that people keep 'promising themselves' that they've reached their limit regarding purchasing wine.

"That's it for me for this year"
"Now I must stop"
"I can't believe I couldn't resist that deal"
"I have no willpower"

etc, etc, etc, etc.

A psychological tool of sorts to aid in one's self esteem Wink
 
Posts: 15369 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
DnVsMom's sh!tty company eliminated her position.

Sorry DVD. That sucks. You're not alone, as you know. But it stll sucks.
 
Posts: 15369 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
DnVsMom's sh!tty company eliminated her position. What does doing the job of two people for over a year get you? Not much apparently. Mad


Sorry to read this. Best of luck going forward.


-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth
 
Posts: 8875 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
What does doing the job of two people for over a year get you? Not much apparently. Mad

Fortunately, she has many contacts who respect her greatly.......


Sorry to hear, DnV'sD. I'm sure she'll land on her feet!

PH
 
Posts: 14953 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
DnVsMom's sh!tty company eliminated her position. What does doing the job of two people for over a year get you? Not much apparently. Mad


Sorry to read this. Best of luck going forward.


Ditto. Frown


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6529 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Buying Moratorium

© Wine Spectator 2013