WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Buying Moratorium
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Buying Moratorium
 Login/Join 
posted
Yep i'm on a self imposed moratorium, the only exception being wines i have committed to buy and am awaiting delivery. That means for me no vintages , no classics, no auctions , no internet purchases, nothing. If i see an unbelievable bargain i may bite, but here in Ontario that is not possible through the lcbo. Anybody else not buying.?

Posts: 714 | Location: Toronto Canada | Registered: Sep 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I get delivery of a couple of shipments that should be coming over the next couple of weeks, I am on the band wagon also.

However, I might have trouble with the exact definition of "unbelieveable bargains" as there is a bit of leeway with that phrase. Big Grin

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever" - Aristophanes

Posts: 169 | Location: Wheaton, IL | Registered: Mar 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I just put in an order...so now I can say I'm on a moratorium Big Grin Actually I am limiting myself to only what I consider good/great deals and mostly those only for "non-current vintage" purchases. I have more wine than I ever thought I would have, and now it is time to drink it and fill some wholes.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2849 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drth, Nobody likes a quitter! Big Grin I thought I would see you at the front row of the auction this weekend with the paddle flying! Wink

If I get my entire Classics order, I will be forced to stop for a while. 3 cases of Dead Arm, a couple of cases of 2001 Futures that just landed and Classics blows by budget for a while.

Plus my VK500 is completely stuffed.

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until the new Mrs. and I determine our income vs. bills & mortgage, we are holding off. (We should be done budgeting in a few weeks, though. Big Grin)

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baird, there is lots of wine out there and lots of time. Both my cellars are completely full which is forcing me to store good bottles passively, something i do not like doing. Besides taking the Mrs to vegas for her 40th in November kinda blows the wine budget previuosly scheduled for the auction, but who cares , the world is floating in wine and when i return it will be with a voracious appetite for the Grand Vin De France, Bordeaux. Of course plan to have the tasting menu at Picasso paired with wines, of course!

Posts: 714 | Location: Toronto Canada | Registered: Sep 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll be back. They always come back.

Posts: 10955 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
like the swallows of Capistrano!

posted Hide Post
Drth, say it ain't so!
I suppose you have acquired enough good and great wines to hold you for a while. Good for you. I wish I had that fortitude.
We still hope you frequent the TWC offlines and contribute your tasting notes to the boards.
My guess is that you have been smitten to the degree that absolution from buying will not be the case, but you'll be significantly more selective. If I get those 6 bottles of 1970 Mouton, can you resist the temptation to take one or two off my hands for the right price? Wink

Posts: 5866 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just came out of my wine cellar about an hour ago and I was shaking my head, saying to myself "You've got to slow down on buying wine. There is no room left in here." Good timing on the thread.
I'm sticking with my futures, regular mailing list allotments, and trying to stay away from the "killer deals". I have more of those than I probably should have....

Posts: 552 | Location: Napa | Registered: Dec 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
drthvader,

Is your moratorium good for just today or the remainder of the week? Wink

Posts: 5258 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been on a wine buying moratorium for a couple of years excepting Christmas and brithdays. It shrinks the cellar but you drink better wine on average.

Hopefull it will all turn around when both kids are in school and spouse can go back to supporting my lifestyle. Big Grin

Posts: 1570 | Registered: Jan 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really i have no where left to put it and i hate the thought of expensive wine not being in a cellar.So until i drink it down i'm done buying, unless of course i succumb to temptation and snag a bottle of 90 Montrose for 185.00 Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I'm in. No more wine purchases until when? But I intend to continue to receive already-paid-for futures: 5 Brunello, Barolo, and Bordeaux cases from Sam's; 2 Brunello cases from Zachys, 1 Brunello from the Wine Library, and 1 delivery from Winebid. The cellar is nearly full already. Mr. magdalena may have to get his construction tool thingies out of storage. Mr. Darth, please give me a heads up when the moratorium ends. Make it long enough to be meaningful for our budget in these difficult economic times!

malena

quote:
Originally posted by drthvader:
Yep i'm on a self imposed moratorium, the only exception being wines i have committed to buy and am awaiting delivery. That means for me no vintages , no classics, no auctions , no internet purchases, nothing. If i see an unbelievable bargain i may bite, but here in Ontario that is not possible through the lcbo. Anybody else not buying.?

Posts: 76 | Location: Columbus / Indianapolis | Registered: Feb 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya,

Me too. I just ordered Screaming Eagle, Hillside Select and Saxum Syrah.

No more buying until at least next week. Big Grin

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt that I could do that. It's like heroin to me. Wink

Posts: 10302 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on moratorium until tomorrow.

Posts: 5568 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm under sanctions...but i've been working a nice wine for food scheme for quite awhile.

Posts: 6988 | Location: ]0^0[ | Registered: Aug 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wine buying Moratorium??? They never work! Cool

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tough year to impose a moratorium on oneself. One can never advise another because financial resources differ. However, this year selectively buying from the great '01 cabernets, '02 chards and '02 pinot noirs, wonderful '01 zinfandels, luscious '02 Central Otago PNs, wonderful '96 vintage champagnes has filled my cellar to the straining point. I impose moratoria upon myself in miserable years for California ('98 and "00) but always seem to find treasures in Oregon, Argentina, NZ, Australia, etc.

Dick

Posts: 2027 | Location: Delaware | Registered: Jun 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everytime I say I'm through buying, I get another mailer in the mail! I have no will power!

Posts: 762 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: May 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rbond444,

I have found that there always seems to be a good or great wines being produced SOMEWHERE in the world in every vintage. If you collect French, German, Auzzie, Italian, Californian, Vintage Port, Spanish and the odd Argentinian wine like I do, you can never catch a break! Confused

This holds true for the 12 or so years I have been collecting wine...

Maybe grape eating locusts will cover the vineyards of the world in 2005. In that case, I might be able to save some $$$. Wink

Posts: 4491 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
whoa! moratorium's by their nature are temporary. i have bought all the 96 champange i want and will strike when the iron is hot. What is coming out of Ontario is generally over priced relative to the u.s. My passion is for Bordeaux which in Ontario is grotesquely overpriced and is released very slowly, so i guess i'm just waiting and watching until the right wine comes along that i do not already have from futures. 01 Bordeaux may be reminiscent of the 97 vintage, i have not tasted enough of them to know for sure. And with the 02 coming out soon , i think lots of us retailers will be forced and have started to dump at reduced prices which will provide me the oppurtunity i am waiting for.One example i passed up is 01 Pichon Baron at 38.00.One thing i have learned over the last few years is that the rush to buy is perceived and artificially created.I think WS and some others do a good job at hyping successive vintages and creating the rush to buy.I'm going to try to wade through the hype. Certainly i'm a buyer when what i want comes along, but selectivity is now the key .

posted Hide Post
This reminds me of when I used to smoke - I quit every morning...until I smoked my next cigarette. It wasn't until I used the patch, that I was able to quit for good.

Do they have a wine buying patch? :-) I need it bad!

TripDaddy Smile Smile Smile

Posts: 165 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on a "wife imposed" buying halt. She decided she'd rather have a new kitchen than a full cellar. - Go figure.

Posts: 205 | Location: in the middle | Registered: Dec 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post