WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Just got on the Saxum mailing list.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got on the Saxum mailing list.
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
I think alot of people dropped off the list due to the price, hence the reason why so many people are now being offered wine. I think it is decent enough to purchase however I am watching the price in the coming months years...

Mareff, Do you have some inside info? Secondary markets? Global financial crisis?

Posts: 835 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tripling the production of the Broken Stones might have something to do with it as well, no ?

Posts: 719 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whine-oh:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
I think alot of people dropped off the list due to the price, hence the reason why so many people are now being offered wine. I think it is decent enough to purchase however I am watching the price in the coming months years...

Mareff, Do you have some inside info? Secondary markets? Global financial crisis?

why else would so many people get onto the list, price has gone up over the years. Just a speculative assumption

Posts: 3710 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
Those are up to $89 now, wow. I think it was in the 40s back when I was on the list.

Hey mountainman, any recs for food up in your hood. A couple of us will be traveling thru in a coupe of weeks time.. (Sorry for the thread drift)
Thanks.

Do you still have my email?

Posts: 2396 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Part of me wonders if I would just be happier loading up on some Hug Cellars.

I've never heard of this producer. Worth seeking out?

Shane, I am the last person people here look to for advice on wine but the answer is YES! They are always ripe, detailed, complex and exotic, they are like CA versions of Valle d'Aosta wines. Give them a shot.

Posts: 8688 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
I appreciate the advice. Part of me wonders if I would just be happier loading up on some Hug Cellars. I do want to try a Saxum though.

I do have some single bottles from more recent vintages, next offline? Also, I am on Linne Calodo and Herman Story lists, if you ever wanna try them? I have some recent wines from them as well? (Might have to break into my offsite and find a Saxum to pop while in Napa) Wink

Whine-oh, do you like Linne Calodo young or with age, or both?

posted Hide Post
I finally made it as well after 4 years wait.
Put in my full order allocated and also ordered some others from the "wish request" list.
We'll see.
Salud!

Posts: 67 | Location: usa | Registered: Dec 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I went to order these were sold out. Red Face Sorry guys I thought I had till the 19th. Never done the allocation/list thing. I wonder if I will be dropped from the list? I have been on Switchback Ridge for like 5 years now and have not bought a thing but I suspect the demand here is different

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I appreciate the advice. Part of me wonders if I would just be happier loading up on some Hug Cellars. I do want to try a Saxum though.

I do have some single bottles from more recent vintages, next offline? Also, I am on Linne Calodo and Herman Story lists, if you ever wanna try them? I have some recent wines from them as well? (Might have to break into my offsite and find a Saxum to pop while in Napa) Wink

Whine-oh, do you like Linne Calodo young or with age, or both?

As a general rule, the Zin based wines on the younger side, the Syrah based wined with some age. My oldest only date back to 06'.

Posts: 835 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea Whine-Oh, do it!

"Everything will be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, it's not the end." Sonny in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Posts: 245 | Location: Hot Springs AR, San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a much larger production, I doubt there is still a waitlist for Saxum, at all.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 750 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NY Retailer:
With a much larger production, I doubt there is still a waitlist for Saxum, at all.

Got to give them credit, they more than doubled the price, make 3xs as much and are still selling out. Good job of getting their wine to as many people at a price as high as possible.

If they were $40 a bottle I would not have hesitated for a second.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, since you obviously have a deep-rooted connection with the producer & their waiting list, do you mind moving me to the top? Wink

Posts: 1519 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They only increased production for Broken Stones. All others continue to be in the 300 - 500cs range.

This is one of the wineries that certainly continues to have a genuine waitlist, especially for their James Berry bottling.

Lastly, while they have increased prices over the years, they have not "gouged" their customers, and have not "maximized" their pricing. All of their wines sell on the secondary market for $125+. They sell to their list for $89, and shipping is free (no minimum required).

I have a lot of respect for the way Saxum has carried themselves and managed their business practices in spite of all the press and notoriety they've received.

Posts: 4940 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wishlist request wasn't granted. So much for not having a wait list.

Posts: 4940 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
i was told 4-6 years yesterday and i signed up in jan 2011 looking to share allocations now and for future my email is drdanieltarifi@live.com if anyone is interested in sharing please contact me. thanks dan

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jan 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Broken stones production was way up this year due to the fact that most of the Bone Rock production was blended in. The Bone rock that remains was co-fermented with some Rousanne and was too special to blend.
I think they made a mistake by not making that a special release though. Blending the rest into a 1500 case Broken Stones is a lot of almost $100 wine to move.
Before the release Justin said he didn't think anybody would be brought on, but it turns out they had to bring quite a few people on to move it. My 12 + 1 was available right to the end.

I love the wine, but the price is getting up there.

Posts: 998 | Location: Cleveland, Oh | Registered: Aug 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i should note that i am asking someone to share their allocation with me now and in the future if possible. i am not on the list not sure if that was clear
quote:
Originally posted by Drdanieltarifi:
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
i was told 4-6 years yesterday and i signed up in jan 2011 looking to share allocations now and for future my email is drdanieltarifi@live.com if anyone is interested in sharing please contact me. thanks dan

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jan 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post