WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Vintages March 2, 2013 Release
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintages March 2, 2013 Release
 Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.vintages.com/circular/130302/index.shtml

2009 La Jota Howell Mtn Cab

2009 Beaumont: Good daily drinker that should last 7-8 years, maybe 10. I opened one last October: Deep ruby. Cassis, dark cherries, wood, spice, herbs on the nose. Medium bodied with big ripe fruit on the palate with moderate soft tannins and balancing acidity.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More taxes coming on the 2009 Bordeaux. Roll Eyes

Hopefully this "LCBO election topic" gets some more steam.

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chard:
More taxes coming on the 2009 Bordeaux. Roll Eyes

Chard, what do you mean?

Posts: 1720 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the 2009 Bordeaux's from this release are up to %40 higher than our friends to the south low market prices.

Which is a tax (IMO).

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ya - it's definitely ugly.
At least we don't have to pay for an MRI.

If you're in the market, the 2010 Trotanoy is substantially cheaper at the LCBO than in the US. The one advantage with the futures is that they remain at the same price until the offer is closed. As the scores are released, all the private retailers in the US are jacking prices. Relative to back vintages, not good value but 2010 is a birth year in our household so still hunting.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read an article this morning in Decanter about how the folks in Bordeaux are going to struggle selling their wines through negociants. Basically it stated that they might be out of business for the smaller chateaus or non classified in the next 5 to 10 years. It goes on to state that marketing will have to play a key role in establishing future Bordeaux wines for consumers.

Posts: 3723 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judging by the majority of restaurant wine lists and what my non-wine geek friends drink I would have to agree with those sentiments.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
ya - it's definitely ugly.
At least we don't have to pay for an MRI.

If you're in the market, the 2010 Trotanoy is substantially cheaper at the LCBO than in the US. The one advantage with the futures is that they remain at the same price until the offer is closed. As the scores are released, all the private retailers in the US are jacking prices. Relative to back vintages, not good value but 2010 is a birth year in our household so still hunting.

2010 is a birth year in our household as well, congrats!

Thanks for the heads up on the Trotanoy.

and as for the MRI's I just looked at my T4 and I would rather not fund this MRI twice!

posted Hide Post
Chard , out of curiosity what other 2010s do you have your eye on for birth year wines?

posted Hide Post
Here's what I managed to taste, so far:

GE Massenez Vieux Calvados ($60) - Awful stuff. Nose of ED Smith yellow apple pie filling. Replays on palate (it gets worse) and then midway and through finish, a fake Mrs Butterworth's like caramel flavour enters and sticks behind like a rodent infestation. This spirit, without question, is the most inferior one I have tasted in several years. No wonder there are no TNs to be found anywhere. Christ almighty, this brandy is nasty. Kittling Ridge would be embarrassed if it made this.

2008 Podere Colla Roncaglie Barbaresco ($45) - Aromas of talc, dried flowers and red berries. On palate, simple cherry and strawberry flavours. Reductive fruit. Astringent, drying, mouth coating tannins. Lack of phenolic ripeness (along with slightly stewed fruit) results in a simple wine IMHO. I'd score this 88-89. Pass for me.

2006 San Giorgio Ugolforte BdM ($48) - Floral & jolly rancher like fruit nose. Over-extracted fruit up front quickly moved to pekoe tea flavours midway. Reductive, raisined, oxidized red fruit finish. Yikes. Consensus tasters loved this wine, but I'm not even going to rate it. Pass for me.

2004 Marques de Caceres Rioja Gran Reserva ($30) - Brooding black fruit, cocoa and toasted coconut nose. Does the ripe style well. Medium-plus body; medium alcohol, acidity and tannins. Rather well balanced as long as you like more dark fruit and cocoa than usual. Not sure other nuances like cedar or sandalwood will come out over time, but that being said, the wine with its current aroma and flavour elements is impressive. I'd give it 90-91 and keep through 2018-2020 (my experience with the producer has been good, and 2025 may also be possible).

So far, I've only stocked up on the M de Caceres Rioja. Anyone else have TNs to share?

Posts: 763 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darcy,

I'm on the same page with you on the Poderi Colla Barbaresco and Ugolforte Brunello. To be honest, I wasn't surprised on how weak the Poderi Colla Barbaresco was since traditionally it's a lighter wine. After reading Galloni's note on how "rich" it was, I was expecting better concentration compared to the norm. I found that to not be the case.

Both wines are passes for me.

I thought the 2010 La Ferme du Mont CdP to be pretty decent though. Balanced, at least. Still not stocking up on it, however.

Posts: 10939 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post