WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    LCBO Vintages Shop Online - how buggy ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCBO Vintages Shop Online - how buggy ?
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi

I am noticing some nice ( finally ) improvements for LCBO www.vintages.com
-I can paste data in FIND box and it seems to find it ( before it was very particular on the data pasted )

BUT - I seem to have constant problems with the online site ( www.vintagesshoponline.com )

- I can NOT click on an item in Vintage.com list and have a proper page open up
- I tried ( 3 times ) to make an account - each time it says the account e-mail exists
- I go to write them about this under Contact ... and their e-mail gets bounced back ... ( The following message to <techsupport@vintagesshoponline.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'5.7.1 <techsupport@vintagesshoponline.com>: Relay access denied')

Doing this on a Mac with latest Safari browser.

Maybe they read this MB ...

Greg

Posts: 170 | Location: Kingsville, ON | Registered: Mar 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with vintagesshoponline by far is its uninteresting product offerings.

I've been saying this for years but the best thing they can do is to stop killing trees and reduce transation costs by offering their Classics Catalogue products through vintagesshoponline.

Posts: 1248 | Registered: Oct 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stevey:
The biggest problem with vintagesshoponline by far is its uninteresting product offerings.

I've been saying this for years but the best thing they can do is to stop killing trees and reduce transation costs by offering their Classics Catalogue products through vintagesshoponline.

While I agree with your assessment that Classics could be put online, I actually have bought quite a few things that I find very interesting on Vintages online.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6566 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:

While I agree with your assessment that Classics could be put online, I actually have bought quite a few things that I find very interesting on Vintages online.

+1 on both, every couple of months something grabs my attention from the online store.

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

To each his own. Judging by the low turnover rates I've seen, you're not of the majority. In my case, for every dollar I spend on vintagesonline, I spend thousands more from other LCBO channels. Heck, I've bought more from Altaya in Hong Kong than vintagesshoponline.

posted Hide Post
Hi

But do you see the error in programming - when you search on vintages.com and see something that links to VSOL -the link doesn't work ??

Or the register issue for your e-mail ?

For sure -I would love to have the 'lottery' for wines automated ... the recent one I got a couple of CNdP only to be traveling when they called and someone at work put the message to call them with a credit card by Friday ( oh well - :-(

Greg

Posts: 170 | Location: Kingsville, ON | Registered: Mar 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

To each his own. Judging by the low turnover rates I've seen, you're not of the majority. In my case, for every dollar I spend on vintagesonline, I spend thousands more from other LCBO channels. Heck, I've bought more from Altaya in Hong Kong than vintagesshoponline.

Altaya? That's quite the long haul to p/u your purchases Smile - what are prices like?

The only thing I ever bought from vintagesshoponline was a bottle of 2006 Chateau Beaucastel Roussanne VV. I just about ignore the emails when they arrive

Posts: 2273 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theweb:
Altaya? That's quite the long haul to p/u your purchases Smile - what are prices like?

You have to look but prices are decent for some Italians, like the 2004 Siro Pacenti BdM that I recently picked up at $535 HKD. Then there are other hard-to-finds mostly French and Italians like the 2004 Flaccianello for under $600 HKD (not sure if same price now).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg H:

For sure -I would love to have the 'lottery' for wines automated ... the recent one I got a couple of CNdP only to be traveling when they called and someone at work put the message to call them with a credit card by Friday ( oh well - :-(

Greg

I solved this problem by giving them my cell number. Once I got "the call" while having dinner in a restaurant in Moscow. Seems bizarre to have to do this, but it works.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
some times something nice appear on the web

wine+time+friends=wonderful world

Posts: 192 | Registered: Mar 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:

Greg

I solved this problem by giving them my cell number. Once I got "the call" while having dinner in a restaurant in Moscow. Seems bizarre to have to do this, but it works.

Wouldn't it be easier to just call them to give them your credit number anytime in advance?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Greg

Wouldn't it be easier to just call them to give them your credit number anytime in advance?

I'm usually busy enough prior to a trip that just giving my cell on the order sheet is easier than adding another task before the trip. Would they even take it if you call before they have done their allocations?

Posts: 5087 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Greg

I'm usually busy enough prior to a trip that just giving my cell on the order sheet is easier than adding another task before the trip. Would they even take it if you call before they have done their allocations?

I don't think the last offer even had a space for a credit card? they called everyone to confirm allocation and get payment at that time. LCBO seems to be changing up the payment process with every Classics offer. I'd rather do the cell phone thing, to be honest, I usually order more than I want / can afford since I know I won't get 90% of what I order anyway, so I load up, say "hail Mary" and wait for the call and then decide what I want from there.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Brights Grove Ontario | Registered: Jun 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are other bugs. If you register an account, and then don't buy online in, say, 3 months (the LCBO itself can't specify how long - they don't know), your existing account closes and can't be re-opened. I know - this happened to me.

Add items to your cart and if you close your browser, items are not there when you revisit. Unlike Amazon, Indigo or any other decent e-commerce site.

Site will also time out in 15 min or so -- again, kicking you out, forcing you to re-authenticate and in the mean time, the cart contents have been purged. Again, this has happened to me, so I know of what I write.

Suffices to say you have to be prepared to shop and buy in one session, 15 min or less. Assuming you can login.

Like the vintages.com site -- a legacy relic; a site that doesn't operate properly in Firefox or mobile browser -- Vintages Online is plagued with bugs and just plain illogical design.

What else would you expect from a monopoly run by accountants?!

Posts: 748 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it's still better than putting fate in their hands to call you at a time when you can take calls, especially if you're in a different time zone such as Moscow. I've called to provide them with my cc# in advance without problem. They just enter it into their system like before.

quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
What else would you expect from a monopoly run by accountants?!

Whoa!... I used to be in accounting (actually, I still am according to the ICAO), so I'm taking this personally! Wink I think this has nothing to do with accountants but rather it's the mentality of a monopoly. They only pay lip service to customer service as they don't really need to attract customers as the only game in town. Their 1998 style website reflects this.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy Kelley:
What else would you expect from a monopoly run by accountants? politicians!

Sorry for the swear word.

posted Hide Post
There's some good stuff on there sometimes. Quite frankly you just sign on the morning of the release, click on what you want, and a couple of days later it's ready for pick up. Not a perfect system, not even a good system, but it does work (most of the time)- all the wines I wanted are in my cellar...

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean a few weeks later it's in your cellar (assuming you get it).

I've never had the wines arrive in less than two weeks; more commonly three-to-four.

Posts: 10837 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
You mean a few weeks later it's in your cellar (assuming you get it).

I've never had the wines arrive in less than two weeks; more commonly three-to-four.

Wow! I usually have them in within two days but sometimes I do have to wait until the next week...

Posts: 755 | Location: Toronto, ON | Registered: Nov 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post