WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Dinner at Bern's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner at Bern's?
 Login/Join 
posted
I posted this in Offline-Events, but thought it might be ok to post here as well, as I'm hoping there will be plenty of "wine conversations".
If this is not an appropriate post for this forum, I totally apologizeSmile
Here 'tis:

I'll be working in Tampa for about 3 weeks in March, and plan on eating at Bern's as often as possible, cholesterol be dammed.
I even ordered the wine list and have gone through it with a hi-liter.
I'm a musician who loves baseball, wine (especially older CA bottles), politics (I'm a confirmed lefty, but get along just fine with anyone, with the possible exception of Ted Nugent- whom I've met and is clinically insane, and Rush Limbaugh- whom I made cry, accidentally, sorry Rush).
I'll be down working on a musical called Rock Of Ages (don't blame me for the Tom Cruise debacle) and welcome any dinner company.
ps: I promise I'm not actually a weirdo/creep; a little boring possibly, but not too creepy I hope.

Posts: 138 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kid lightning:
I posted this in Offline-Events, but thought it might be ok to post here as well, as I'm hoping there will be plenty of "wine conversations".
If this is not an appropriate post for this forum, I totally apologizeSmile
Here 'tis:

I'll be working in Tampa for about 3 weeks in March, and plan on eating at Bern's as often as possible, cholesterol be dammed.
I even ordered the wine list and have gone through it with a hi-liter.
I'm a musician who loves baseball, wine (especially older CA bottles), politics (I'm a confirmed lefty, but get along just fine with anyone, with the possible exception of Ted Nugent- whom I've met and is clinically insane, and Rush Limbaugh- whom I made cry, accidentally, sorry Rush).
I'll be down working on a musical called Rock Of Ages (don't blame me for the Tom Cruise debacle) and welcome any dinner company.
ps: I promise I'm not actually a weirdo/creep; a little boring possibly, but not too creepy I hope.

bah, no fun. I'll pass.

Post when you're creepy, and we'll have a date!

Posts: 5126 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hm...well, my wife thinks I look pretty creepy when I don't shave for a few months.
Or years.

Posts: 138 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't get any takers here, go to a place called Mons Venus... you should be able to find a dinner companion almost any night of the week.

Wink

Posts: 6572 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
If you don't get any takers here, go to a place called Mons Venus... you should be able to find a dinner companion almost any night of the week.

Wink

Eek Bring lots of singles....

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2792 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:

Wink

Eek Bring lots of singles....

guess they're closed at 11amest

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12524 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be stuck in Orlando in a few weeks. This makes me want to drive to Tampa to go to Bern's. Are reservations at Bern's a must? Hard to get in advance?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3508 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I'm going to be stuck in Orlando in a few weeks. This makes me want to drive to Tampa to go to Bern's.

Wait a minute. Are you trying to tell me you have never been to Bern's?

Posts: 30394 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
I'm going to be stuck in Orlando in a few weeks. This makes me want to drive to Tampa to go to Bern's.

Wait a minute. Are you trying to tell me you have never been to Bern's?

I've never been to Tampa.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3508 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to be stuck in Orlando in a few weeks. This makes me want to drive to Tampa to go to Bern's. Are reservations at Bern's a must? Hard to get in advance?

A colleague and I went on a random Tuesday evening relatively early and it was still packed. We were able to go in and eat a full meal at the large bar with plenty of entertaining action.

Posts: 3236 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've never been to Tampa.

Send me an email, aphilla.

Posts: 30394 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

sometimes it can be a pain, but I've had pretty good luck in the past, even without reservations.
Best to go early or late.
Going later has its advantages, as they're pretty friendly with their by the glass poursWink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kid lightning,

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks Rothko, but I much prefer the company and finger sandwiches at Thee Dollhouse.

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 6572 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks Rothko, but I much prefer the company and finger sandwiches at Thee Dollhouse.

I stay at the Marriott across the street from there each time I'm in town. Have not ventured across the street though.

Posts: 3236 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
quote:

I stay at the Marriott across the street from there each time I'm in town. Have not ventured across the street though.

They have room service to the Marriott?

- Milton

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

wink wink....

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2792 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They have room service to the Marriott?

That hasn't crossed my mind until now, Smile but I would imagine the ladies have made a house call or two over the years for a wayward traveler. I haven't been back in a few months, but next time I go, I plan to take w+a's advice and plan ahead with something special at Berns. The wine options really are something special, even the by the glass program.

posted Hide Post
I am still a Bern's virgin as well. (The rest of what I wanted to say was self-edited)

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5865 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
I am still a Bern's virgin as well. (The rest of what I wanted to say was self-edited)

i havne't been either
but certainly aim to before w+a drinks out their entire cellar

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12524 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There could be an epic offline in the making.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
There could be an epic offline in the making.

you mean we all show up take over the restauranta nd order everything pre 1900?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

Yes...

if you're buying.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes...

if you're buying.

why, do you expect to be given a free meal at all offlines?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes...

if you're buying.

why, do you expect to be given a free meal at all offlines?

Eeewww...you're gonna order pre-1900 food?? I thought you were talking about wine! I'm always happy to pay for food.