WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Perrier Jouet lot number meaning?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perrier Jouet lot number meaning?
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone one here know how to decipher the lot numbers from Perrier Jouet?

For example, one bottle recently purchased reads: L142120233.

Posts: 61 | Location: Irvine, CA | Registered: Nov 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djdaqm:
Does anyone one here know how to decipher the lot numbers from Perrier Jouet?

For example, one bottle recently purchased reads: L142120233.

it might mean you're paying too much for something they make 142 million bottles of Big Grin

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12263 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the disgorgement date, but I have no idea the meaning of these numbers. Maybe the disgorgement was in 2012 (hence the 12), but it is unlikely to have been on February 33rd.
I'd just drink the stuff.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7176 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
It's the disgorgement date, but I have no idea the meaning of these numbers. Maybe the disgorgement was in 2012 (hence the 12), but it is unlikely to have been on February 33rd.
I'd just drink the stuff.

or maybe it was disgorged on 2002 December and they expect you to drink it 33 days afterwards?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12263 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it has something to do with the disgorgement date, but I can't find the exact breakdown. I think it is something like xxx-xx-xx-xx, wherein the first three digits are the day of the year (142 would mean May 22nd in a non-leap year), the next two digits are the year itself. I can't remember what the last two sets of digits refer to though.

Of course, I could have dreamed this as well. Crazy

Posts: 3600 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How to decode the disgorgement date from a bottle of Perrier-Jouet (any cuvee)

1. On each bottle, there is a lot number printed on the glass. It is normally found near the base of the bottle. Be careful to look for the printed number at the base of the bottle (and not the etched number which is easier to read, has less digits, and is sometimes found above the back label).

2. This code will have the following pattern:
Your bottle was disgorged in May of 2012. To decode Perrier-Jouet and Mumm use the following:
L#######(#) where # represents a number

3. These numbers correlate to the following LDDDYYXXXX(X) (e.g., L1650800123) where:
• DDD is the is the day of the year; 165 for the 165th day of the year (mid-June)
• YY is the year; 08 for 2008
• XXXX(X) refers to the batch number and isn’t relevant to determining the disgorgement date
• This bottle L1650800123 was disgorged in mid-June of 2008

- Edited the format of the above to make it easier to read.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brad Baker,

Cheers,

Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Posts: 108 | Location: Motown, USA | Registered: Mar 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Can you decipher the following for me. It is on the back label on a bottle of Cristal

L033633F 107245

Thanks

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5033 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little off-topic, but just never had a P-Joulet I thought was special.

Posts: 30200 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No easy way to decode Roederer's bottles without emailing them for info. They use a number sequence that just keeps increasing over time. In terms of the NV, if you track the number over the years, it can be useful in helping make a very good guess as to the base vintage. For disgorgement dates, you could probably narrow things down to a year, but not much more than that.

Cheers,

Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Posts: 108 | Location: Motown, USA | Registered: Mar 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
A little off-topic, but just never had a P-Jouet I thought was special.

I understand this comment and am often disappointed in the value the standard Belle Epoque white and Rose deliver for the price. I think the NV and especially the Blason series are solid wines that often over-deliver, but they usually won't wow you. The P-J Belle Epoque BdB is one of the true great Champagnes. It just doesn't get much press or attention. Partly because it is hard to find and partly because it is expensive and never really found its niche. I'd rather drink it than most other more "famous" BdBs.

Cheers,

Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Baker:

The P-J Belle Epoque BdB is one of the true great Champagnes.

I'm cannot recall having their BdB. Are all their grapes from Cramant?

Not sure the wine is in our market.

Posts: 30200 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, all Cramant and all single vineyard from two parcels - Bourons Leroy and Bourons du Midi that are separated by a small road through the vines. Awesome location as they are on a south facing slope just east and a little south of where Moet's Chateau de Saran is. In my opinion this is one of the most special places in not, only Cramant and the Cote des Blancs, but all of Champagne. The wine isn't exactly inexpensive, but it is a unique expression of terroir and shows what Cramant can do.

Cheers,

Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Baker:
Yes, all Cramant and all single vineyard from two parcels - Bourons Leroy and Bourons du Midi that are separated by a small road through the vines. Awesome location as they are on a south facing slope just east and a little south of where Moet's Chateau de Saran is. In my opinion this is one of the most special places in not, only Cramant and the Cote des Blancs, but all of Champagne. The wine isn't exactly inexpensive, but it is a unique expression of terroir and shows what Cramant can do.

Alright, I will buy a bottle. Smile