WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Sake reccomendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Sake reccomendations?
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
ya and that's where I'm saying I'd love to test out out blind, because I think it'll still hold. I did something in the past where it was two of each group, one cheaper and one more expensive and when it was blind the general results amongst the group came to what I stated.

i'd certainly love to do it again as I haven't done a blind sake tasting in over 6 years.

What format/examples would you suggest?

i blind taste sakes very frequently with friends too, a friend that's a chef does a once a month sushi dinner at her home where we all bring different sakes that is a great experience, its not uncommon to have almost a dozen different sakes...

...and to add what i was trying to say before, designation is just one of many influences on flavor/profile... even moreso, rice (believe there are more than a doezen different grains used), brewing method, house style, etc... play as much if not more of a role than designation, and definitely moreso than price...

id recommend finding a local purveyor you trust and try a couple different tastings... its just like wine, beer, or any other beverage...

one ive done with friends before is taking different sakes from the same house that milled different rices at the same (or close to as possible) designation, it's like trying a clone flight of Pinot's from a winery... i think you'll find the differences to be very apparent and many paradigms shattered

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kumazam,
 
Posts: 4208 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kumazam:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
ya and that's where I'm saying I'd love to test out out blind, because I think it'll still hold. I did something in the past where it was two of each group, one cheaper and one more expensive and when it was blind the general results amongst the group came to what I stated.

i'd certainly love to do it again as I haven't done a blind sake tasting in over 6 years.

What format/examples would you suggest?

i blind taste sakes very frequently with friends too, a friend that's a chef does a once a month sushi dinner at her home where we all bring different sakes that is a great experience, its not uncommon to have almost a dozen different sakes...

...and to add what i was trying to say before, designation is just one of many influences on flavor/profile... even moreso, rice (believe there are more than a doezen different grains used), brewing method, house style, etc... play as much if not more of a role than designation, and definitely moreso than price...

id recommend finding a local purveyor you trust and try a couple different tastings... its just like wine, beer, or any other beverage...

one ive done with friends before is taking different sakes from the same house that milled different rices at the same (or close to as possible) designation, it's like trying a clone flight of Pinot's from a winery... i think you'll find the differences to be very apparent and many paradigms shattered...


In Ny i can find almost any producer, throw me some names and styles.

While, I dont doubt the slight nuances you are mentioning with the various method and rices, I'm still very skeptical that in a blind tasting you would say, pick out a 10$ sake that is delicate and floral, or pick out a 100$ sake that is heavy and harsh.


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12185 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
a good read from Vinography on stylistic and flavor differences in sake with no mention of price Smile
 
Posts: 4208 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kumazam:
a good read from Vinography on stylistic and flavor differences in sake with no mention of price Smile


reads like a subjective article to me ;-)


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12185 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
In Ny i can find almost any producer, throw me some names and styles.

While, I dont doubt the slight nuances you are mentioning with the various method and rices, I'm still very skeptical that in a blind tasting you would say, pick out a 10$ sake that is delicate and floral, or pick out a 100$ sake that is heavy and harsh.

heavy and harsh... what happened to stronger and full bodied Confused, and of course, at the extremes you're going to find it hard to compare and find an excellent $10 sake and a crappy $100 sake, not exactly earth shattering there, and not where i thought the direction of this conversation was going... Roll Eyes

really, try some of the same type of tastings for sake you would do with wine... two breweries i really like are Heiwa and Kuji (Nanbu Bijin)... Otokoyama as mentioned above is good as well... if you can find some from Heiwa and Kuji they would be a great comparison just between two sakes, about the same price ($35-40 or so for Junmai-Ginjo) and completely different styles, i find the Heiwa's to be much more fruity and a great compliment to fried foods like tempura and broiled fishes, whereas the Kuji's are much more floral and crisp, perfect for sushi, though YMMV... the point being at the same price, you can have very different sakes

good luck!
 
Posts: 4208 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kumazam:

heavy and harsh... what happened to stronger and full bodied Confused, and of course, at the extremes you're going to find it hard to compare and find an excellent $10 sake and a crappy $100 sake, not exactly earth shattering there, and not where i thought the direction of this conversation was going... Roll Eyes

really, try some of the same type of tastings for sake you would do with wine... two breweries i really like are Heiwa and Kuji (Nanbu Bijin)... Otokoyama as mentioned above is good as well... if you can find some from Heiwa and Kuji they would be a great comparison just between two sakes, about the same price ($35-40 or so for Junmai-Ginjo) and completely different styles, i find the Heiwa's to be much more fruity and a great compliment to fried foods like tempura and broiled fishes, whereas the Kuji's are much more floral and crisp, perfect for sushi, though YMMV... the point being at the same price, you can have very different sakes

good luck!


the convo wasn't about finding stuff int eh same price range,

it's saying that buying sake where if you were looking, the price point is a great guide to the flavor profile.

it's not like wine where you can easily find a crappy 100$ vs say a 50$ vs say a 30$ bottle.

"
the more expensive it is, the more florally and delicate

the cheaper it is, the more fully bodied and at times harsh."

you certainly would not find that correlation with wine.


This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)
 
Posts: 12185 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Sake reccomendations?

© Wine Spectator 2013