WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Do not know origin or name of wine? Remember label. Can you help?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do not know origin or name of wine? Remember label. Can you help?
 Login/Join 
posted
I had this wine the other day that blew me away and of course I don't know the name or origin. I'm hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.

The label was bright but dark (I hope that makes sense), mostly red with I believe some equally as bright/dark orange. It had what looked like dark brown or black branches running through it.

It was a red wine. The taste was phenomenal and... big. Really big with a wonderful after taste that lingered. It was fruity and kind of smokey.

Does anyone know what I was drinking?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did you have it?

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 3003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'd hazard a guess that it was the "woop woop"

http://www.woopwoop.com.au/our...Shiraz_tastenote.pdf

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12448 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and speculate. This forumite is apparently newly registered (? maybe a newbie?), descriptors seemed vague, limited, even rudimentary (which, to me, is FINE, and part of the learning process). Also noteworthy is the lack of response from "regulars" (possible indication that the inquiry might be better suited to the "Learn Wine" forum...regulars are less familiar with "entry level" wine). OK, rambling (I know, sorry!) My guess: Garnacha de Fuego. The colors work...maybe flames appeared more branch-like to the person posting? Thoughts?

Posts: 20 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm.
Maybe Ducru Beaucaillou?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nah, I recall seeing this wine at trader joes in nyc for like 15$

it's like some cab from, I'd liek to say argentina

but that's the extent of what i remember.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12448 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gnarly Head Cab

Posts: 1 | Location: OS | Registered: Jan 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first guess was Insignia. My second guess is Cayuse.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Jul 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
could be Gnarly Head OV Zin , Bogel OV Zin or Cayuse.

"A bottle of wine contains more advice then any self help book in the world"

Posts: 1044 | Location: Around Boston | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sade58:
Gnarly Head

Good call.

Posts: 1651 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by we know pinot:
....the inquiry might be better suited to the "Learn Wine" forum...... Thoughts?

I think that the Learn Wine Forum is basically a waste of space. Posts in the other fora are much more likely to get read and responded to, even if the subject is .....learning about wine.

PH

Posts: 15343 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sade58:
could be Gnarly Head OV Zin , Bogel OV Zin or Cayuse.

YES ON THE GNARLY HEAD! that's the one iw as thinking of

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
the wine you described could be the Adome

from Shai cellars.

Posts: 94 | Location: Corunna Ontario | Registered: Oct 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for anyone willing to get involved with this.

For those of you concerned with my tardiness with my response, my apologies. I own my own company and this is my busy season. Sometimes I simply haven't the time to visit the wine forum immediately due to my business not being one where I am constantly in front of a computer. As much as I may be quite ignorant when it comes to wine, I assumed this was indeed a good place to learn more. Most people don't pop out of the womb knowing all about wine. Now I'm not one to apologize for something like that, but next time I'll be sure to try and present myself in a more learned manner.

I drank it at a friends house and no one knew what kind it was after the fact. I went back to the store (Spirited Gourmet, Belmont, MA) where it was bought but could not find it, even with the help of a knowledgeable employee.

Sadly, it is not the "woop woop", Garnacha de Fuego, Ducru Beaucaillou, Insignia, Cayuse, Gnarley Head, Bogle or Adome.

Again, thank you for your willingness to participate. I'll keep looking.

I hope you all have a GREAT holiday. Smile

posted Hide Post
I'm sure next time you fancy a wine you'll

take note.

Posts: 94 | Location: Corunna Ontario | Registered: Oct 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
try this:
http://winelabelworld.com/
But, could this be it? Hob Nob 2011?

But Bob P's suggestion is a good one.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7201 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Irwin, but no, not Hob Nob.

I actually poured over winelabelworld.com before coming here.

Oh, he's 100% right! Next time I find out as soon as I taste the deliciousness. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
get the Delectable app. just shoot a picture and don't worry about remembering or writing down the label. They'll ID it for you, then you can add your tasting notes later.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 473 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Domaine de la Bergerie 10 Anjou perhaps?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3501 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brazin or Turley Zinfindel is my guess

Posts: 39 | Registered: Feb 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terra d'Oro Zinfandel ??

Any idea what the friend paid for it? You can search wine.com and break it down a lot of ways, varietal, price, region etc. Most of them show labels so you might recognize it if you can even narrow it down to an approximate price if nothing else.

http://www.wine.com/V6/Terra-d...e/116733/detail.aspx

Posts: 2301 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Thank you, but none of those. I don't know what they paid for it.

I love the idea of that app. Smile

posted Hide Post
Next time, take a picture of the label with your smartphone.

Posts: 76 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post