WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Monterey Ca.Wineries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monterey Ca.Wineries
 Login/Join 
posted
Will be going to a home winemaker conference in May,will be spending a day or two checking out wines of the area.Any suggestions or must visits.Thanks Bob

Posts: 95 | Location: union n j | Registered: Apr 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8718 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had bad luck and can't recommend any. I would also be interested in hearing of anything of interest.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3541 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.triocarmel.com/wines

Ian Brand's wines are there and I'm completely prejudiced in my recommendation. Ian's a great winemaker.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7669 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx!

Posts: 3541 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tanglenet, did you have a bad experience customer service-wise at Marilyn Remark or do you not like the wines?

Posts: 8718 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a couple of years ago. We went to Talbot, and two tasting rooms located near the Intercontinental, where we were staying. Nothing was memorable or worth buying. I'm not familiar with Marilyn Remak wines. Looking forward to tasting them.

posted Hide Post
Spo, it looks like I responded to the post above yours and did not see your post. Sorry for the confusion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
http://www.triocarmel.com/wines

Ian Brand's wines are there and I'm completely prejudiced in my recommendation. Ian's a great winemaker, guy, guitar-player, wedding-proposal assistant planner, and beard-grower.

FTFY

A fried of mine visited the area in December, and here's an email Ian sent with suggestions / ideas

Carmel has a cluster, which is good. Trio on Dolores is our co-op, and all the wines there are good (not just mine). Wrath is pretty good. Figge down the street is decent. Talbot in Carmel Valley is solid, if a touch heavy on the oak. CRBC, per Paul's rec below, is a good place for a burger. Here are some more:

Classier but worth it:
1833 (same owners as CRBC, excellent cocktails and wines, great atmosphere)
Passionfish (good food, killer wine list, low mark-up)
Cantinetta Luca in Carmel across from Trio

Casual:
Bistro Moulin on Wave St. in Monterey
La Biciclette on Dolores in Carmel
Tommy's Wok in Carmel
Lokal in Carmel Valley
The Attic Bar in Monterey (no food)
Carmel Belle Café
The Hog's Breath in Carmel (bar)

More Casual:
Mi Pueblo Market on Fremont Boulevard in Seaside (giant and yellow, corner of Fremont and Broadway, pretty killer stuff)
Noodle Shop in Seaside

For the more adventurous
El Charrito Market for burritos on W. Market in Salinas
Gutierrez Drive In on Sherwood in Salinas for Carnitas and only Carnitas.

Can't miss stuff:
Point Lobos Park
Driving the Big Sur Coast
Cocktails on the porch of the Mission Ranch Inn on the South Side of Carmel
A warm day on Carmel Beach

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jorgerunfast,

Posts: 4982 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CRBC = Cannery Row Brewing Company which I recommended in my pubs and gastropubs thread. Great beer selection. Last visit they had Old Rasputin on tap, which I've only seen at the brewery in Fort Bragg on tap and Turbodog on tap which I can't ever remember seeing in New Orleans on tap. Someone there is super serious about their beer.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7669 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any recommendations for the River Road wine trail in Santa Lucia Highlands? I will be there this weekend and have an appointment with Marilyn Remark. We are considering Wrath and Paraiso as well, but am soliciting advice on any other wineries in the area.

Thanks!

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were in Carmel last year and made the trip out to Calera. I love their wines and visit was very casual and fun. Worth the drive in my opinion.

Posts: 6505 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pho' at the Noodle Bar in seaside mentioned above is about the best I've ever had. Their Boba is top notch as well!

I hit this place once a month on my work travels there.

Posts: 916 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks GlennK, its a family trip and they're interested in only the wineries on River Road (SLH). I would like to check out Calera sometime, but probably not this trip.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post