WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Napa based wineries putting out good Pinot Noir
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Napa based wineries putting out good Pinot Noir
 Login/Join 
posted
The Mrs. and I will be in the valley for a few days next month. I could use some advice on wineries putting out a nice pinot. The assumption is the fruit is sourced from someplace outside of Napa. We are fans of SLH fruit. I'd prefer not to go to Carneros, but not opposed to it. My wife has a very California palate and proud of it.

Posts: 3130 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peter Michael is just north of Calistoga, and although not technically Napa, is easier to get to than crossing the mountains to go into Sonoma, which even then is less than an hour drive to get into the Russian River Valley.

Mondavi, BV and Beringer are right on 29 and do multiple Pinot Noir bottlings.

Over on Silverado Trail you have Clos du Val and Robert Sinskey, and at the Paraduxx facilities I'm sure you can taste through Duckhorn's Pinot bottlings from Anderson Valley.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fulcrum makes some really nice pinots. You can taste at the District 4 tasting room in downtown Napa.

Karen
www.jeanedwardscellars.com

You should only make wines you love to drink...

Posts: 522 | Location: Napa and 74-41 | Registered: Mar 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if you can get an appt. at Aubert.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2884 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Molino used to make some decent PN in Napa. Have not tried them in quite a while.

I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Posts: 606 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Mar 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red guy in a blue state:
See if you can get an appt. at Aubert.

Oh..what a dope I am..forgot this had opened. Have to add this to my Napa itinerary.

Has anybody tried it yet? Curious about what they pour and the cost.

Posts: 860 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a day trip to Healdsburg and the Russian River Valley area is worthwhile. Have a great time on your trip!

Posts: 5099 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KarenT:
Fulcrum makes some really nice pinots. You can taste at the District 4 tasting room in downtown Napa.

Karen
www.jeanedwardscellars.com

+1

Posts: 125 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard schoolhouse makes a good pinot

"This is the strangest life I've ever known."

Posts: 1352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: Nov 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Failla may be worth a look

Posts: 860 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somerston has a tasting room in Yountville and puts out the Doctor's Vineyard Pinot Noir. It's not life changing, but it's tasty. They are open later than most so makes for a nice drop in.

Posts: 15 | Location: Denver | Registered: Mar 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tried one of the new Walt offerings from Hall at the Hall tasting this weekend and it was solid.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I have some research to do.

EB - When I posed this same question to my friend who lives in Napa, Failla was the first one that came to his mind. I've not heard of them before.

As it stands right now we may make a day of just Spring Mountain.

Unfortunately we will most likely limit our excursions to the valley or just north of it. As long as we come across some nice Pinot at a couple of spots along the way I'll be in good shape.

Posts: 3130 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I have some research to do.

EB - When I posed this same question to my friend who lives in Napa, Failla was the first one that came to his mind. I've not heard of them before.

As it stands right now we may make a day of just Spring Mountain.

Unfortunately we will most likely limit our excursions to the valley or just north of it. As long as we come across some nice Pinot at a couple of spots along the way I'll be in good shape.

My wife and I are doing Spring Mountain on our next visit- Pride, Behrens, Sherwin and Paloma. From what I can tell they're all nearby. Keep us posted!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Failla may be worth a look

+1. The make really nice syrah as well IIRC.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2387 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
Peter Michael is just north of Calistoga, and although not technically Napa, is easier to get to than crossing the mountains to go into Sonoma, which even then is less than an hour drive to get into the Russian River Valley.

This is what immediately came to mind for me, too. Their Le Moulin Rouge Pinot can be absolutely fantastic.

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twomey's 2010 Anderson Valley pinot is very good. I felt their other offerings were mediocre, but no appointment and fun tasting room.

Posts: 486 | Location: Morgan Hill, CA | Registered: Jun 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
School House is true Napa Valley Pinot, they are on Spring Mountain, about half way up the mountain.
The vineyard is planted with the infamous "suitcase clones", definitely pay them a visit if you have the time.

Relic also makes a good Pinot, their current release is the 2010 Kashaya from Sonoma Coast. Depending on your arrangement with them, they may host your tasting at the winery formerly known as Behrens & Hitchcock.

Surprised no one mentioned Rivers Marie, they are based in Napa. Would be a great visit if you can get in.

--------------------------
Powell Yang
Director
Clarets Hong Kong Ltd.

Posts: 7001 | Location: HKG - TPE - TAO | Registered: Sep 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post