Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post 5000!
 Login/Join 
posted
When I joined this board in 2007, I was in the very early stages of my wine exploration with probably just 40 to 50 very random selections in my little wine fridge. Since 2007 I have traveled to Bordeaux, Chateauneuf du Pape, Rioja, multiple trips to Montalcino and all over CA and WA to drink wine and more importantly learn about different wine cultures. I went from analyzing if the $10 bottle of Cotes du Rhone was really a 90pt wine as the critic said, to not caring about scores at all. I went from going to the LWS and paying $15 to taste through a flight of “value” wines to attending an 82 Bordeaux dinner at a Michelin stared restaurant in London. I have gone from a buying strategy of the best score/price ratio wines in the beginning to chasing only the big expensive names and labels in the middle to now just buying what I truly like and find interesting regardless of price, name or status. Basically what I am saying is I have learned a lot since 2007 and a big part of that is due to the great people I have met and conversed with on this board. From drinking windows, to vintage analysis, to recipes and restaurant and travel recommendations, this board has been a fun and informative part of my weekly routine. Not sure if I will get to 10,000 but I’m still hoping to learn from and meet many more people here.

Cheers!

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Glenn. I've enjoyed reading your posts. Not only do you provide information, you can disagree with others respectfully.

Posts: 5398 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Hope to meet you in person one day and play some golf, share some good food and wine.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers and congrats. Come on down to SD sometime for an off-line!

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2878 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy your posts, Glenn. There are not many people whose posts I virtually always read, but you're one of them.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36759 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to have had a chance to raise a glass with you, GlennK. Hope to do it again soon.

PH

Posts: 15014 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said GlennK.

Posts: 3562 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratz GlennK. I've always enjoyed your posts
(both positive and otherwise). I hope we get a chance to hoist a stem or two some time!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5653 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You suck GlennK - too much time on your hand getting to 5000 before me in 5 less years. Razz

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to think of all your memorable posts over the years, but nothing comes to mind. Confused Razz

It was great to finally meet in September; next time I suggest golf, sushi, AND wine. Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite the accomplishment, and congratulations, GlennK. Hopefully we'll meet at some point down in Laguna or thereabouts!

Cheers!

Posts: 2884 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool

Posts: 1653 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on 5,000! I've always enjoyed your posts Glenn. If you're ever in Austin... Cool

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1932 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Glenn. Yet another good post!

Posts: 2927 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This calls for a drink!

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5000 Posts Banana Hope to meet you some time.
To 5000 more Smack

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 713 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
I have gone from a buying strategy of the best score/price ratio wines in the beginning to chasing only the big expensive names and labels in the middle to now just buying what I truly like and find interesting regardless of price, name or status.

Hear hear on the current strategy. Congrats on the 5K and hopefully you can come up here with your wife one day on one of her trips.

Posts: 10019 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
I have gone from a buying strategy of the best score/price ratio wines in the beginning to chasing only the big expensive names and labels in the middle to now just buying what I truly like and find interesting regardless of price, name or status.

Hear hear on the current strategy. Congrats on the 5K and hopefully you can come up here with your wife one day on one of her trips.

While I have always enjoyed drinking wine with Glenn, I still prefer our wine dinners when his wife attends. Razz Big Grin

Posts: 30028 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Glenn! Hope to meet up again, perhaps we will have time to play golf. I figure Ill give you 2 strokes a side Cool

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2729 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Well said Glenn. Smile

Posts: 1818 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

There are times when the WS Forums seem to bog down with in-fighting, but when you sit back and think about it, most of the time there is really great information here. And priceless advice from people who know a heck of a lot more about wine than I do.

Posts: 6439 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

While I have always enjoyed drinking wine with Glenn, I still prefer our wine dinners when his wife attends. Razz Big Grin

Mrs. GlennK is one of the most charming people I have ever met.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mrs. GlennK is one of the most charming people I have ever met.

Opposites attract Wink

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5653 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone and I hope to meet every one of you some day to share some vino! If you bring the good stuff, I will bring Mrs. GlennK. Big Grin

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
only 29,000 more to match a certain poster

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6281 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post