WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Name the Toronto Wine Crew Contest.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name the Toronto Wine Crew Contest.
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I can only come up with a good one for folks in Wisconsin... Wine and CheeseHeads. Although I am fairly certain that isn't original.

After doing some (admittedly weak) thinking..

"We're canadian. Thank god the wine is not"

"Hosers" (edit) Damn, Hadn't seen Tlilly's post.

"We're all out of Molson"

"Toronto Terroirists"

When will I learn?
The answers to life's problems aren't at
the bottom of a bottle! They're on TV!
- Homer Simpson

[This message was edited by smaug on Jan 29, 2004 at 06:46 PM.]

Posts: 1242 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little blast from the past for the Toronto folks.

DoktaP, futronic, bman - was the final choice TWC - Toronto Wine Cru?

Posts: 2808 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct! Toronto Wine Cru
9 years and going strong

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5742 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, talk about an oldie but a goodie! I think 2004 was maybe the last time I offlined with the TWC! But ready and available for the next one!

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10675 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MWP is what we called our group. Montreal Wine Posse

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6599 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
MWP is what we called our group. Montreal Wine Posse

Funny, I thought you were called "The Guys Who Offline Every Time a WS Forumite Passes Through Montreal Even if it Means Drinking Trophy Bottles Several Nights in a Row" or TGWOETTWSFPTMEMDTBSNR! Banana

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10675 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool thread.
I can't believe you guys did an Australian Shiraz flight. Just saying.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Very cool thread.
I can't believe you guys did an Australian Shiraz flight. Just saying.

If you look hard enough, who knows what else you'll find hidden at the back of the closet ... Perhaps a Niagara-wine offline? With Board-O as guest of honour? Banana Just sayin...

Posts: 5130 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, we had 2 flights of 8. The first flight was eclectic and included an '82 Palmer and another older Bordeaux brought by Drthvader. Mostly French.

The second flight was Australian shiraz. Back then, this was pretty trendy. Marquis Phillips and all the eucolytpus you could imagine. I remember coca cola as a tasting note being quite prevalent.

We had an interesting concept. Everyone was given tasting notes of all 16 wines. It was up to each and everyone to match the TN to the wine. In the second flight, Baird was 8/8.

Perhaps Futronic could pipe in, but we started with an '85 Champagne Charlie (Heidseick).

Our initial offline had futronic, oakville_al, Bowhunter, carriedca, drthvader, Baird, and myself. Sadly, we lost oakville_al, and rarely see some others of the originals. It all began in a private room at the Royal York hotel and the food was through room service. We had 2 private waiters who served the wines blind and did all the pours. They worked like dogs serving wines and cleaning classes.

Brings back some great memories.

Futronic, please add if I missed anything.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:

an '82 Palmer

...says thy twin so casually. Smack Cool

Posts: 30148 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC, we had 2 flights of 8. The first flight was eclectic and included an '82 Palmer and another older Bordeaux brought by Drthvader. Mostly French.

The second flight was Australian shiraz. Back then, this was pretty trendy. Marquis Phillips and all the eucolytpus you could imagine. I remember coca cola as a tasting note being quite prevalent.

We had an interesting concept. Everyone was given tasting notes of all 16 wines. It was up to each and everyone to match the TN to the wine. In the second flight, Baird was 8/8.

Perhaps Futronic could pipe in, but we started with an '85 Champagne Charlie (Heidseick).

Our initial offline had futronic, oakville_al, Bowhunter, carriedca, drthvader, Baird, and myself. Sadly, we lost oakville_al, and rarely see some others of the originals. It all began in a private room at the Royal York hotel and the food was through room service. We had 2 private waiters who served the wines blind and did all the pours. They worked like dogs serving wines and cleaning classes.

Brings back some great memories.

Futronic, please add if I missed anything.

Ahem, but wasn't the first Toronto offline at an Italian restaurant before BYOW was legal? futronic, Baird, Slan, drthvader and I think one other...... Plus wives. I remember we had to bring the bottles in paper bags and give them quickly and discreetly to the maitre'd. I really cannot recall the year but it was the first year everyone went nuts for Dead Arm.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
DoktaP is correct in that the first TWC offline was at the Royal York and it as a single-blind tasting. The waiters were awesome taking care of the food, pouring all the wines and serving. I've got the booklet for it somewhere, so I can post the list. Maverickdrinker and others were there with us also. I've got the group photo somewhere I believe there were ten or twelve of us in total.

One of the next offlines was the one at the Italian restaurant where bman, Mrs. bman, and I took the streetcar back downtown and we got the driver to back it up on St. Clair, which is something TTC drivers aren't supposed to do. Fun times!

Posts: 10903 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
DoktaP is correct in that the first TWC offline was at the Royal York and it as a single-blind tasting. The waiters were awesome taking care of the food, pouring all the wines and serving. I've got the booklet for it somewhere, so I can post the list. Maverickdrinker and others were there with us also. I've got the group photo somewhere I believe there were ten or twelve of us in total.

One of the next offlines was the one at the Italian restaurant where bman, Mrs. bman, and I took the streetcar back downtown and we got the driver to back it up on St. Clair, which is something TTC drivers aren't supposed to do. Fun times!

Thanks for clarifying fut. I remember the street car - great driver - we were freezing our butts off!

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fox:
How aboot TITS (Toronto Imperial tasting society)

Cheers,
Fox

I love it! Fine wine from the bosom of Mother Earth.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey I miss you guys. I think I helped organize #2 or #3, can't remember which one. At BCE Place. Again, can't remember the restaurant name. We had a huge turnout, something like 25???

Sure hope I can get back into T.O. for a visit soon.

Posts: 1046 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our initial offline had futronic, oakville_al, Bowhunter, carriedca, drthvader, Baird, and myself.

And yours truly!

Posts: 3973 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops. Sorry Slan. I was post call when I posted. You and maverick drinker.