WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Which wine do you know the best?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which wine do you know the best?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I will say that even with north of 200 bottles of fonseca and quite a regular amount of drinking

the sheer amount of bottle variation in port means that it would be very difficult to pick out a fonseca blind.

if however you gave me single blind with multiple houses across say 8 different houses, and one of them was a fonseca 1970 or 1985, I'd be I could pick fonseca out blind.

i've also had fonseca / taylor tastings of same vintages side by side where out of 8 bottles, I favored the fonseca 6 times out of 8.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11684 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About equal experience across many vintages on all of these

BV GdL
Mondavi Cab Reserve
Leoville Barton
Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages
Beringer Merlot Bancroft Ranch

GG

Posts: 274 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FX Pichler

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BV GdLT.
I have quite a bit of it, going back to '47.
This was the "house wine" of my high school girlfriend's dad; the first decent wine I ever had.
Unless you count Boones Farm Tickle Pink.

Posts: 135 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:
If champagne counts, then Dom Perignon.

Dom for me too. Have the regular bottles every New Years and the Roses and Oenotheques for special occasions.

Don Melchor would be right up there with it.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A wine that I know the best, simply because I drink it more than anything else is the Napa bottling from Heitz. However, the vast majority of these are '05 & '06, since they're readily available.

As for my experience through different vintages...

- Dunn "Howell Mountain"
- Heitz "Martha's Vineyard"
- Montrose
- Cos d'Estournel

Posts: 1418 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kid lightning:
BV GdLT.
This was the "house wine" of my high school girlfriend's dad; the first decent wine I ever had.

If that includes the '58, then you're my new best friend. Smile Best wine I've ever had, and amazingly fresh!

Posts: 2922 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Stef and I are walking through the vineyard at Chaine d'Or in Spetember and she says: "Is that Pinot?", in a row of the Chardonnay. I go, "that's weird I've never seen that plant before."

I've been working there since 2005 and taking care of the vineyard since 2008. Including walking every freaking row with a back pack sprayer on my back.

So, we send Jerry Anderson a note. Jerry planted the vineyard in 1987 and we ask "Jerry did you know there's a Pinot plant down in the Chardonnay?"

He replies "Really? I've never seen it."

You never really know a wine. You're always learning.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7612 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
So Stef and I are walking through the vineyard at Chaine d'Or in Spetember and she says: "Is that Pinot?", in a row of the Chardonnay. I go, "that's weird I've never seen that plant before."

I've been working there since 2005 and taking care of the vineyard since 2008. Including walking every freaking row with a back pack sprayer on my back.

So, we send Jerry Anderson a note. Jerry planted the vineyard in 1987 and we ask "Jerry did you know there's a Pinot plant down in the Chardonnay?"

sounds like stefania's getting ready to come out wiht some sparklers!!!!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11684 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:
quote:
Originally posted by kid lightning:
BV GdLT.

If that includes the '58, then you're my new best friend. Smile Best wine I've ever had, and amazingly fresh!

I've never had the '58 but would love to try it. I've still got some '47 and '49 left, along with some '68, '70, '74, '78 and lots of '80s-'05.
I do have some '58 Inglenook thoughWink

Posts: 135 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Somatic mutation?

Posts: 1767 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More likely nursery screw up. It's in part of the vineyard that's never been netted before. Our guess is that because it was going through verasion so early, not netted, and bright red, it was getting eaten every year before any humans saw that it was a red grape and not a white grape.

Probably what we've been asking for the last 25 years is "why did the birds eat that plant first". Given though that birds attack a vineyard plant by plant it just probably never seemed unusual that one plant had been cleaned out when the ones around it had not.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7612 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1. That was my first thought when I started reading this thread.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2863 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post